Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

6 6
Awol cast iron stomach

Sparse toilet paper and bananas 🍌

Rate this topic

Things are winding down around my state as our governor announced we are closing k-12 schools . He encouraged business to allow people to work remotely given the circumstances. A few teams are meeting to finalize things at work on Monday then we will be going remote. New for us. We have not heard about my husband's business' decision yet.

Shelves looking pretty sparse in stores locally. Surprisingly toilet paper, paper products, and bananas not to be found. 

Glad I recently ordered gluten-free flours before this announcement. Grateful.

I downloaded some audio and e reader books too. I will need to watch list some movies as well.

May you all be well during these unprecedented times.....

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My kids are off for 2 weeks, although I suspect that will be extended. 

We have a decent amount of food at our house regularly, because with 3 kids including 2 teenagers we go through a lot.  I went to Costco 2 days ago to get a few things and they were completely out of chicken and beef of any kind.  Shelves were fairly empty...it was a bit spooky.  I called yesterday to see if they had any chicken yet or if they knew when they would get some and they said maybe tomorrow.  Not super reassuring. 

I think the issue is with hoarding.  I just wanted 1 package of chicken, but I think some people are loading up on everything. 

So, I decided to place a pick up order with my grocery store.  I put in the order Saturday at noon and the earliest it could be ready is Monday at noon.  Crazy.  I'm interested to see what they have available...I did have chicken , bananas and carrots in the order.

In the meantime we're planning to just stay around here, hoping to keep everyone from getting too bored ,and trying to keep everyone healthy!

Hoping everyone on the board stays healthy too!

January 2014-Celiac

August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."

Bob Marley

Join eNewsletter

Here in the UK there was a huge amount of panic buying at first but at least in some parts of the country now the toilet rolls and bananas and baked beans are back in the shops and aren't disappearing quite so quickly.  So hopefully this will happen where you are.

Over here we are being asked to stay indoors, and to only go out if we need to walk the dog, or go for a walk or run, or to buy essential items.  We can also go to the doctors, pharmacists and dentists.

Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

BRITISH

Join eNewsletter

We managed to get toilet paper yesterday!  I also put in a pick up order at the store and got about 90% of my items which I was excited about.  I have not been able.to find any Clorox wipes yet, which I would really like to find.

Our governor locked down the state as of this morning which feels absolutely surreal.  We also had to go to my daughter's school to pick up all of her things as they don't anticipate being back this school year.😔

January 2014-Celiac

August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."

Bob Marley

Join eNewsletter

Well done, glad you got your toilet roll!  I managed to pick up four myself!

Just one query - is everyone wiping down their groceries when they get home?  Because I'm not the only shopper in the house this isn't being done by everyone.  I'm wondering how long this virus can stay on bananas, or anything else for that matter.  My fear is trying to wipe things down might just spread the virus around a bit more and make things worse.  I keep seeing mixed data on how long it stays alive on surfaces.

BRITISH

Join eNewsletter

I also keep seeing mixed references to how long it can live on surfaces -_- some say a few hours, some say days.

But I managed to get 1 carton of egg beaters and one of egg whites at walmart today...last 2. Also got some Bakers, Unsweetened pure chocolate bars, and canned coconut milk to keep my fat intake high for my ketogenic diet, not to mention they have years in shelf life and no one else takes them. >.> I have been just stress baking daily and offering stuff at discounts, and even giving stuff away.

I ordered some Julian Bakery Bars, and am looking at getting some Stoka bars next month. Stoka sent me a code for 50% off their cherry almond bars. "CHERRYLOVE" and 25% off their entire store with "STAY@HOME" Figured others might want in some some sugar free, gluten free, dairy free, bars.

Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering

Join eNewsletter

Off topic, but I saw something that made me laugh today that I thought I'd share.  Well, I suppose it is has a tenuous link as not only have bananas and toilet rolls disappeared.  So have summer holidays.  It was published in The Times online and someone was posting about post-corovavirus travel.  

The poster said that he had given his wife a dart, and a map of the world, and told her that when this is all over they would go on holiday to wherever the dart landed.  It turns out they will be spending 2 weeks behind the refrigerator.

Nothing to do with bananas or toilet rolls I'm afraid, but I hope it might make someone else laugh too.

BRITISH

Join eNewsletter