Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
AllisionLipscomb

Metallic taste in mouth scared it might be the virus?

Rate this topic

Fir the past week I’ve had a metallic taste in my mouth it happens after eating my tongue feels numb and burns at times too I read that changes in taste are a sign of the virus I’m so scared right now I don’t have a temperature and I’m not coughing but I do feel burning in my back and I feel like something is moving around in my upper back.  I have a virtual doctors appointment tomorrow I highly doubt if he can tell me if I have pneumonia. 

Also so I have allergies and have been diagnosis with acid reflux which I, currently taking ppis for.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Don’t panic, most people with Covid-19 have mild symptoms and recover fine. If you can, monitor your temperature so you can provide that info with the doc or nurse. Get some rest and stay hydrated. Let us know how it goes.

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

I am not a doctor, but from what I read, COVID-19 cause people lose their sense of smell or taste.  It sounds like you are tasting “metallic”.  

I can only share my story.  I have celiac disease, Hashimoto’s and Autoimmune Gastritis.  While my small intestine has healed (repeat endoscopy) my Gastritis and Hashimoto’s have not.  Like many with autoimmune, my symptoms come and go (flare ups).  I work hard to balance my diet, mental and physical health.  Right now, things are crazy contributing to my anxiety and stress.  Add in normal pollen allergies and my Gastritis is acting up.  Either one of these things can contribute to asthma (cough, chest tightness, breathlessness in me).  

It is good that you are consulting with your doctor.  ?

Consider sleeping elevated at night and do not eat welll before bedtime.  These tips help my Gastritis.  I also try to look for ways to reduce my stress be either gardening or tackling a project.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator