This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Disease Diet - Advice Needed

Sam100

Sam100 Apprentice

Hi Guys,

Hope everyone is staying well. 

This is in regards to tailoring my diet for celiac disease and I need some advice from you guys if possible.

I have gone on the Fisano Diet and will be on the diet until I gain weight and then slowly incorporate other foods. During this time my symptoms have definitely improved i.e. no diarrhea, better skin.

As I said on my other thread in addition to Celiac Disease (of course lol) I have the following:

lactose intolerance

Food Allergies - Eggs, nuts, peas, lentils, beans and corn.

So I am really struggling to get the calories in. At present I am getting around 1200 calories from rice, 300 calories from meats such as chicken breast or steamed salmon or canned tuna and 300 calories from fruit which totals 1800 calories. Can someone advise me on what else to add to get more calories in? As it is a real struggle to keep eating so much rice everyday.

Thanks guys!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Where is the fat?  Since you are lactose intolerant, choose oils like olive, avocado or coconut.  I know the other two oils are not on the Fasano list, but those are safe.  For instance, your veggies should have olive oil on them (fresh or cooked).  I eat lots of avocados.  Eat the tasty meat fat.  Add meat drippings to your rice.  Make sure that canned tuna is packed in oil.  Sauté your salmon in olive oil.  Fry your rice.  Drench your salads.  

Are you consuming lots of veggies like squashes, sweet potatoes and even regular potatoes?  

Sam100 Apprentice

Hi Cyclinglady, thanks for your reply.

Potatoes? They are not on the Fisano diet, so I wasn't eating them. I was thinking after around 4 months to add Sweet Potato to my diet and see if i have any symptoms.

Should I add olive oil to stuff like tuna and vegetables after cooked? I thought adding oil like that is really unhealthy.

Yea, I should add avacados in my diet.

cyclinglady Grand Master

No, potatoes are fine on the Fasano diet.  Remember, some people have identified food intolerances (like you can not tolerate dairy).  Others have trouble with nightshades.  I can not have onion or garlic.  

But do you actually have issues with nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant?). If not, eat them.  We eat copious amounts of potatoes (well mostly, my kid because I am insulin resistant). 

Healthy fats are good.  Do not get stuck in the 1980’s when fat became the enemy.  What happened?  A lot of fat unhealthy people!  

Consider working with a dietician or you better start researching a lot.  You need a well-rounded diet.  

The Fasano diet is meant to be used for a short period of time.  Sure, after you heal and feel better, you can add other foods into your diet.  The diet was developed to help celiacs avoid gluten.  That is the goal.  It can also be used to jumpstart the gluten free diet and possibly help increase the healing process (this should be true, but no studies have actually been conducted).  Lots of celiacs fail to heal because they eat out and switch from gluten cookies to gluten-free cookies.  Junk food (gluten free or not) is bad for everyone and should be used for treats only.  

The main goal is to avoid gluten.  

Scroll through the study and read the Fasano diet.

https://res.mdpi.com/d_attachment/nutrients/nutrients-09-01129/article_deploy/nutrients-09-01129.pdf

or are you on the Autoimmune Paleo diet?  That one temporarily excludes nightshades.  

Add the oil.  Dang, I even add cream and coconut oil to my coffee.  I eat butter as a snack.  Why?  Fats do not increase my blood sugar.  It is carbohydrates that increase my weight and blood sugar as indicated by my glucose meter.  

Edited by cyclinglady
Sam100 Apprentice

Hi Cyclinglady, thanks again for the response.

Oh, i thought only rice on the fisano diet from what I saw on this table:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/The-Gluten-Contamination-Elimination-Diet-Phase-1_tbl2_320478484

Ok, do you think I should add sweet potatoes into my diet then?

I am still learning alot about celiac mainly from this forum, so I am unfamaliar at the moment of what a nightshade is.

In terms of a dietician, because I am "self-diagnosed" and have a celiac test come back negative, even though all the symptoms point to celiac and my symptoms greatly improve when I go gluten free, I don't think I will get a dietician. I am mainly planning to research from this forum because it has alot of useful info in it. And yea I will read that article from the link.

I am unfamailiar about what the Autoimmune Paleo diet is, as I am still researching, but at the moment I was just going to go by the link I posted in this post. 

In terms of oil, I mainly steam my vegetables, do you think I should add the oil after I steamed them? 

Thanks!

cyclinglady Grand Master

Yes, rice is only allowed in this temporary diet.  Why?  Because other alternative gluten-free grains can be cross contaminated by wheat (field, transportation, mill).  Today, there are many certified gluten-free grains compared to 20 years ago.  I think he just went back to the basics.  

Sweet potatoes are a vegetable.  Steam, sautéed, microwave, bake, grill your veggies, but the finished product should definitely have oils or butter.   You need fat.  

How lactose intolerant are you?  Are you sure it is lactose or is it milk protein?  If just lactose, you can experiment by adding in dairy slowly.  Think of things that have the least amount of lactose — like hard cheeses and butter.  This chart should help you.  

https://med.virginia.edu/ginutrition/wp-content/uploads/sites/199/2014/04/Lactose_Content_of_Common_Foods-11-2017.pdf

Your table that you shared just seems to be weeks one and two.  I think you need to open it up and read the entire paper and review the next phase.   The diet progresses to more foods after the second week (like adding beef, lamb or pork).  Look at the foods that you can eat on the next level that I have linked (or open the paper you linked).  

https://res.mdpi.com/d_attachment/nutrients/nutrients-09-01129/article_deploy/nutrients-09-01129.pdf

Your calories should be higher than 1200!  Google how many estimated calories you should be consuming based on your weight (where you want to be) and your activities.  

Know that I am not a dietician, but just a Mother.  

Juca Contributor

Why are you on the Fasano diet? Isn't it meant to eliminate contaminations on patient's diets, when they are not responding to it? By what you are saying, you seem to be responding positively. 

In any case, all celiacs benefit from a easy to digest diet in the first few months (or longer):

- meat, fish and eggs (no eggs on your case)

- plenty of soups and bone broths

- veggies, mostly cooked ones and add more raw ones as you heal

- potatoes, sweet potatoes, chestnuts and bananas for extra calories

- good amounts of fats, they make your veggies taste good and make you happy (animal fats, olive oil, coconut oil, coconut milk, avocados, etc.)

- cut down on sugar and sweeteners dramatically

- avoid grains in general until you feel better, then add slowly

It's a pity you can't tolerate dairy, nuts and pulses. Have you tried peanuts? they are not a "real" nut... Or sunflower and pumpkin seeds? You can snack on them or add to salads.

if you are only lactose intolerant, you should be able to reintroduce it when your intestines heal. Do you react to butter? In that case, the problem is probably with the casein in dairy. 

Go easy on the fruit. It might get you bloated. 

Good luck! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RMJ Mentor

I’m not sure why you’re limiting your calories on the meat and fruit? You can increase those.  

When I need to gain weight, fat is my friend! The page you linked lists olive oil, that can go on vegetables.