This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Trusted Brands of Gluten-Free Oats

kidprodigy

kidprodigy Rookie

Hi everyone!  I'm a new member on the Celiac.com forums and have a gluten-free food question for you.

I've been reading a lot lately about gluten-free oats and the fact that this food is a major "grey area" for people with Celiac disease.  It looks like some brands are safe to eat and others are not due to less-than-optimal processing practices.  This is causing major headaches for me as I'm an avid oatmeal fan and refuse to give it up!

The brands of gluten-free oats I've been using are Quaker Oats Gluten-Free Quick 1-Minute and Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Quick Cooking Rolled Oats.  Are these brands safe for Celiacs to eat?

Which brands of gluten-free oats do you recommend?

QuakerOatsGF.png

BobsRedMillGF.webp

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

None, since they all make sick! :)

cyclinglady Grand Master

In the old days, it was advised to avoid oats for at least six months.  That is because some celiacs react to them (causing small intestine damage).  Is that you?  Who knows?  The only way to know for sure is to have a repeat biopsy three months after consuming oats.  Some countries do not advise oats at all.

https://www.coeliac.org.au/uploads/65701/ufiles/Position_Statements/CAPSOats.pdf

So, take it from two old timers, skip the oats for a couple of months until you are well.   There is a reason why so many celiacs can not heal.  Seriously about 2/3 never heal.   Mostly because they still are getting gluten into their diet (restaurants and processed foods) and yes, maybe even oats.  

It is hard to be patient.  Use another porridge substitute.  We eat rice porridge made in the instant pot.  Or consider other grains/seeds like buckwheat, if you are craving porridge.  

RMJ Mentor

After several years gluten and oat free and antibodies in the normal ranges I asked my gastroenterologist if I could eat oats.  She had me eat them for 6 months and then retested my antibody levels.  No effect!  I can eat oats! I use Gluten Free Harvest oats.