Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

3 3
Della Austin

Skin care products

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What do you mean by safe?  As long as you are not eating your night cream, it should not set off a celiac disease reaction.  I worry about sunscreen, because sweat can run off my face and into my mouth (when riding my bike). 

I use just a Walmart knock-off that is comparable to CeraVe.  I like an unscented lotion that just moisturizes.   Those wrinkle reducers?   Not for me.  Too harsh.  But these reasons have nothing to do with celiac disease.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

I would only add that there are some people who don't believe that gluten contact on the skin can cause issues for someone with gluten sensitivity, however, there are also many who have reported various issues until they eliminated a skin product that contained wheat. No matter where you stand on this the fact is that there are now many different companies making skin and cosmetic products that are labeled gluten-free, so why not opt for those? 

Scott Adams

Founder Celiac.com

Join eNewsletter

54 minutes ago, Scott Adams said:

I would only add that there are some people who don't believe that gluten contact on the skin can cause issues for someone with gluten sensitivity, however, there are also many who have reported various issues until they eliminated a skin product that contained wheat. No matter where you stand on this the fact is that there are now many different companies making skin and cosmetic products that are labeled gluten-free, so why not opt for those? 

True!  Sometimes piece of mind is priceless!  My shampoos and conditioners are clearly marked gluten free.  

You can have a wheat allergy in conjunction to celiac disease.  And those with DH?  They must be extra careful.  Some report that gluten on their skin is a no go!   Please read the DH section of the forum for tips if anyone struggles with Dermatitis Herpetiformis.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Join eNewsletter

I don't use otc creams many of them have too many ingredients for my skin. I use witch hazel, aloe, coconut oil, or coconut oil/shea depending what level of moisture I need.

As for the gluten-free label or doesn't matter if it contains gluten it's on your skin etc. I have tried out both philosophy s . I have had the experience of using a friend's liquid soap with a cut on my finger and developed a DH bump on that same finger shortly after. I then realized the soap had wheat in it. I was fortunate the eruption  was confined to that finger , although I itched in other areas too. I'm am a sensitive one.

I stick with no gluten no oats in the products I buy.

good luck

Join eNewsletter