This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Has anyone else had DH in their genital area?

von

von Apprentice

In the last couple weeks I’ve had these itchy bumps beside my anus. They’re not painful and I’ve never been diagnosed with an STD. My last partner was over a year ago now so I just really don’t think that’s it. I have sensitive skin and get DH on my legs and occasionally fingers so I’m wondering if this genital rash could be DH?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

Hi @von, welcome to the forum! This is definitely possible, especially if your getting gluten contamination in your diet. Iodine is also an issue for many people with DH.

Here are some past threads you may find helpful:

• 4 weeks later...
Linda Couillard Newbie
On 1/25/2021 at 1:36 AM, von said:

In the last couple weeks I’ve had these itchy bumps beside my anus. They’re not painful and I’ve never been diagnosed with an STD. My last partner was over a year ago now so I just really don’t think that’s it. I have sensitive skin and get DH on my legs and occasionally fingers so I’m wondering if this genital rash could be DH?

I have been dealing with this very thing for over a year. I've seen a gynecologist several times. I've been tested for STDs, yeast, 3 biopsies on small cysts (negative). I've been using a prescription strength cortisone cream 3x daily for the past year. I was diagnosed over 20 years ago. The doctor said she didn't know what else to do as all the tests were negative. I'm very uncomfortable at times, the itch is so severe. The cream helps. 

Scott Adams Grand Master

Hi Linda, welcome to the forum. Do you have celiac disease and/or dermatitis herpetiformis? Are you on a gluten-free diet?

Linda Couillard Newbie
3 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

Hi Linda, welcome to the forum. Do you have celiac disease and/or dermatitis herpetiformis? Are you on a gluten-free diet?

Hi Scott, thanks for responding! I have celiac disease and am diabetic. I've been eating gluten-free religiously for over 15 years. Not sure exactly what dermatitis herpetiformis is but I will look that up. All I do know for sure is I have rashes on other parts of my body as well as the vaginal area and near the anus. Could this be something crazy relating to celiac disease? 

Scott Adams Grand Master

Yes, DH is the skin condition that is caused by eating gluten, in those with celiac disease/gluten sensitivity. It usually appears to be tiny clear blisters that are incredibly itchy. If you browse our DH forum you'll get a better idea, and see some images of it:
https://www.celiac.com/forums/forum/26-dermatitis-herpetiformis/

Linda Couillard Newbie
43 minutes ago, Scott Adams said:

Yes, DH is the skin condition that is caused by eating gluten, in those with celiac disease/gluten sensitivity. It usually appears to be tiny clear blisters that are incredibly itchy. If you browse our DH forum you'll get a better idea, and see some images of it:
https://www.celiac.com/forums/forum/26-dermatitis-herpetiformis/

Thanks for this information.  As I eat at home 95% of the time, I know I'm not getting glutened.  Now I can rule out any connection to my rashes having anything to do celiac disease. Thanks very much. Your site is an excellent resource for anyone suffering from effects of gluten on the body.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

knitty kitty Grand Master
35 minutes ago, Linda Couillard said:

Thanks for this information.  As I eat at home 95% of the time, I know I'm not getting glutened.  Now I can rule out any connection to my rashes having anything to do celiac disease. Thanks very much. Your site is an excellent resource for anyone suffering from effects of gluten on the body.

Don't rule out a connection to Celiac Disease just yet.  

Celiac Disease causes malabsorption which results in malnutrition, aka vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

I suffered severe nutritional deficiencies because the damage to my intestines prevented me from absorbing all the things I needed to make a healthy body.  My doctors were clueless about the connection between Celiac Disease and the cascade of health problems caused by nutritional deficiencies.

I've experienced all of these:  

Riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency and zinc deficiency,  can cause various rashes that can occur in the perianal region. 

B12 deficiency and Niacin (B3) deficiency cause rashes that worsen when exposed to the sun.  

Deficiency in Essential Fatty Acids can cause scaly flaky rashes.  

Vitamin C deficiency and Vitamin A deficiencies can cause skin changes.  

I found this article (with pictures) very helpful....

"Hair, Nails, and Skin: Differentiating Cutaneous Manifestations of Micronutrient Deficiency"    

https://aspenjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ncp.10321

Checking for nutritional deficiencies is part of proper follow up care for Celiacs.  Nutritional deficiencies can occur even on a strict gluten free diet.  Discuss supplementation with essential vitamins, minerals and other nutrients with your doctor or nutritionist.  

Linda Couillard Newbie
47 minutes ago, knitty kitty said:

Don't rule out a connection to Celiac Disease just yet.  

Celiac Disease causes malabsorption which results in malnutrition, aka vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

I suffered severe nutritional deficiencies because the damage to my intestines prevented me from absorbing all the things I needed to make a healthy body.  My doctors were clueless about the connection between Celiac Disease and the cascade of health problems caused by nutritional deficiencies.

I've experienced all of these:  

Riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency and zinc deficiency,  can cause various rashes that can occur in the perianal region. 

B12 deficiency and Niacin (B3) deficiency cause rashes that worsen when exposed to the sun.  

Deficiency in Essential Fatty Acids can cause scaly flaky rashes.  

Vitamin C deficiency and Vitamin A deficiencies can cause skin changes.  

I found this article (with pictures) very helpful....

"Hair, Nails, and Skin: Differentiating Cutaneous Manifestations of Micronutrient Deficiency"    

https://aspenjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ncp.10321

Checking for nutritional deficiencies is part of proper follow up care for Celiacs.  Nutritional deficiencies can occur even on a strict gluten free diet.  Discuss supplementation with essential vitamins, minerals and other nutrients with your doctor or nutritionist.  

I actually have an appointment with an endocrinologist in two days! Thank you for this information! I'll go over all of this with her. I appreciate your input!

Scott Adams Grand Master

Let us know how things turn out, and good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Deb Plum Newbie

Interestingly the first sign i had dh was a very itchy bump in my pubic area and butt cheeks. My gyn thought it was a fungal infection and gave me oral and topical meds - no improvement. I was 50 at the time (now 68). It was my pcp that figured it out - by then i had the blisters and bumps on my elbows, knees, butt, shoulders, scalp, face and hands. Sent me to a dermatologi t who did a biopsy and confirmed dh. I have been taking dapsone for 18 years so that i could enjoy my gluten diet - i love bread and pasta! However, i have recently stopped dapsone due to concerning bloodwork. Going gluten free is truly the way to go.

Scott Adams Grand Master

Hello @Deb Plum and welcome to the forum! Yes, dapsone can have some serious side effects, so the gluten-free diet is the best overall treatment. Hopefully you've started a gluten-free diet.

Posterboy Mentor
1 hour ago, Deb Plum said:

Interestingly the first sign i had dh was a very itchy bump in my pubic area and butt cheeks. My gyn thought it was a fungal infection and gave me oral and topical meds - no improvement. I was 50 at the time (now 68). It was my pcp that figured it out - by then i had the blisters and bumps on my elbows, knees, butt, shoulders, scalp, face and hands. Sent me to a dermatologi t who did a biopsy and confirmed dh. I have been taking dapsone for 18 years so that i could enjoy my gluten diet - i love bread and pasta! However, i have recently stopped dapsone due to concerning bloodwork. Going gluten free is truly the way to go.

Deb Plum,

I had similar problems....

IF your itching shows up in the genitalia area first....then you probably have a Riboflavin deficiency...aka Pellagra Sine Pellagra...

You might also be diagnosed with Pruritus Ani...

Being low in B-2 aka Riboflavin and Biotin and/or Niacin (B-3)  and B-6 can produce similar symptom's...

Here is a couple articles about how Low B-Vitamins can cause rashes....

https://healthfully.com/499928-vitamin-b-deficiency-fatigue-ridged-nails-rash.html

https://www.livestrong.com/article/269105-skin-rashes-caused-by-vitamin-deficiency/

Quoting from the Livestrong article on B-2 (Riboflavin) and B-3 (Niacin) and or B-6 and what a deficiency of each looks like...

Niacin (Vitamin B3) Deficiency

"Niacin is primarily involved in energy production within cells. Inadequate dietary consumption, as well as some medications, may cause niacin deficiency -- also known as pellagra. Niacin deficiency skin changes typically begin as inflammation in sun-exposed areas, as the skin become unusually sensitive to ultraviolet rays from the sun. The skin appears red, painful and itchy, like a sunburn.

With time, the skin becomes swollen and blisters develop. Once the blisters burst, the skin becomes crusted with brown scales. These areas eventually become thickened and darkly pigmented. The backs of the hands are most commonly affected. The face, neck and other parts of the arms and legs are also frequently involved.

Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) Deficiency

Riboflavin is another energy-producing B vitamin. Riboflavin deficiency causes inflammation of the skin, particularly in the nose area, forehead, cheeks and behind the ears. It also commonly affects the genital region and, according to an article in the October 2016 issue of the "Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine," inflammation in this area is the first sign of riboflavin deficiency in many people. Riboflavin deficiency tends to affect the genital region more severely in men than in women.

Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6) Deficiency

Vitamin B6 is required for normal function of over 100 enzymes within the body, according to the 2016 "Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine" article. Deficiency of vitamin B6 is rare except in people with alcoholism or taking certain medications that inactivate it.

Vitamin B6 deficiency can cause seborrheic dermatitis -- reddened patches of skin with white or yellowish scales that flake off. These occur most commonly on the face, scalp, neck, shoulders, buttocks and perineum. Vitamin B6 deficiency may also produce angular stomatitis -- inflammation with redness and swelling at the corners of the mouth. Because vitamin B6 is necessary for the production of niacin, vitamin B6 deficiency can also lead to niacin deficiency skin changes."

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice.

Posterboy,

Linda Couillard Newbie
On 2/24/2021 at 12:06 PM, Scott Adams said:

Let us know how things turn out, and good luck!

I saw the endocrinologist who said I'm doing a great job keeping my diabetes under control but couldn't help with my other issue. Since then I've seen a dermatologist who prescribed Clobetasol Propionate to be used once in the morning and evening for two weeks, then I have a follow up appointment. The medication helps but hasn't completely solved the problem. I'm hoping this will be taken care of before mid April as I'm having reverse shoulder replacement and don't want to have to deal with this problem while in rehab! Will keep you posted.