• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

megsylvan2

Are Prevacid Capsules Gluten Free?

Rate this topic

Does anyone know if Prevacid capsules are gluten-free? I started taking them again a couple of days ago because my reflux was killing me. First 2 days were ok, but tonight, it is just killing me. I am now so bloated and swollen and in pain!

I looked up ingredients on manufacturers website, and the only thing questionable I see is starch. Here are the ingredients. Does anyone else see anything or know if they are gluten-free?

"The delayed-release capsules contain the active ingredient, lansoprazole, in the form of enteric-coated

granules and are available in two dosage strengths: 15 mg and 30 mg of lansoprazole per capsule. Each

delayed-release capsule contains enteric-coated granules consisting of lansoprazole, hydroxypropyl

cellulose, low substituted hydroxypropyl cellulose, colloidal silicon dioxide, magnesium carbonate,

methacrylic acid copolymer, starch, talc, sugar sphere, sucrose, polyethylene glycol, polysorbate 80, and

titanium dioxide. Components of the gelatin capsule include gelatin, titanium dioxide, D&C Red No. 28,

FD&C Blue No. 1, FD&C Green No. 3*, and FD&C Red No. 40."

Prevacid is gluten-free--I've been on it for about a month now. It does cause D in some people--I, unfortunately am one of them! I noticed that this went away, for the most part, in a week or so. Sorry you are not feeling well--maybe something else like CC or even a virus? You could be reacting to something else in the Prevacid--if it dosen't resolve soon, I would call the doctor and ask to be put on something else.

I took prevacid when I was younger. Tried to take it a few years ago and it made me miserable--major D. Perhaps you just can't tolerate the med...

Can you eliminate anything in your diet that is sure to cause acid (tomato-based products, alcohol, caffeine, citrus, pineapple, etc)? Many people think that taking a proton-pump inhibitor is a green light to eat anything that they want, but the foods that contain acid still contain acid, and it just goes down instead of up!

I find rice at every meal is very helpful, as is avoiding spices :( . For some reason, bananas seem to cause instant reflux in me, which I dno't understand, as I can't think of anything blander than a banana. :blink:

Anyway, try making your diet as reflux-proof as possible. Maybe you won't need prevacid, or maybe another med would work better.