This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Type 1 Diabetes & Celiac

jams

jams Explorer

I am looking for some good resources for a friend of mine. Her daughter was diagnosed w/ type 1 diabetes a year ago last March. She hasn't grown or gained weight in 6 months. Her blood tests came back last Friday as positive for Celiac. Her dr. wants her to go in for a biopsy. I will talk with her more this afternoon. She just dropped off her dd here for the afternoon. I don't think it is necessary for the biopsy, but will talk with her more when she gets back.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for her? Any resources or brands of food? She is so scared to tell her dd about this. She has gone through so much the past year. I can help w/the Celiac part, but I am not diabetic so I can't help much there.

Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Robbin
:) Hi Angi, My oldest son is type 1 diabetic, so I know how much of a nightmare that can be for a parent and young child. If her blood sugars are not stable, she will not gain weight as well as not being gluten free on the celiac side of things. There are a few things to consider--Is she on a multiple injection/counting carb routine? If so, the gluten-free diet is a cinch. She can just substitute the gluten-free foods like breads, pasta, etc. for the meal plan she currently follows. The purchased gluten-free foods are going to be a problem since they are so loaded with sugar. The gluten-free breads and pasta are higher in carbs, too, so that is something to watch for. I would advice her to limit grains and stick to as much meat, dairy, fruits, and plenty of vegetables. Hopefully, she can tolerate dairy. If not, try the lactose enzyme tablets (I recommend the ones from a Vitamin Shoppe, they seem to be the better brand for my family). If she is on an insulin pump, that is the best possible scenario, imho, since it keeps them a little more stable throughout the day. Since she has been dx with diabetes for a relatively short time, she could be still in what is known as a "honeymoon" phase and her blood sugars may be pretty good. This is the time to be strict with the gluten-free diet, she will get stronger faster and not have too many ups and downs. I hope this helps, and prayers are with her and her mom. Her mom is probably having a serious anxiety problem right now, but tell her it does get easier. :)
jams Explorer

Thank you Robbin!!

I know she does get 3 injections a day. I also know she is all over with her numbers. That is why she went in again for tests. I am going to give her mom this website too. She has 3 older brothers that are in a lot of sports. She travels a lot with them. That is going to take some time to get used to too. After the initial shock, I think it is a pretty easy thing to get use to. I know she will go on a pump in the future. They wanted to get her stable and acustomed to the diet first.

Thanks again!!

TCA Contributor

My husband is diabetic and my kids are celiac. If her sugar isn't under good control, I urge them to check into a pump. It has made a world of difference with my husband's control. the hard part is most of the replacement flours are higher carb than the gluten ones. It's a constant struggle. I'd be glad to share recipes later if she needs them. Just let me know!

elye Community Regular

I have been type one diabetic for thirty-three years, and a known celiac for six months. I remember the overwhelming feeling of hopelessness, of "there's no way I can manage BOTH of these diseases at once!" that I lived with every day the first few weeks after being told I was celiac. But I must say that it really does get easier with time. In fact, the two diets can work well together. Your friend should look at the glycemic index chart, which gives the glycemic load of all foods. White and brown rice, for example, has a medium-high glycemic number ( the higher the number, the more it raises your blood sugar level), so I have to eat it sparingly, and adjust my insulin dosages to accommodate for it. As you can imagine, this can be tough as rice is an absolute staple in the celiac diet! Corn and peas are also pushed in the celiac diet, but have a highish glycemic number. I get the majority of my carbs from fruit and legumes, as carb sources from grains tend to cause my blood sugars to rise. Tell your friend to hang in there, and her local celiac association should offer a wealth of information and support on these two conditions, as celiac and diabetes often go hand in hand!

Lynxear Rookie

Wow....5 years old and a type I diabetic...that poor little girl will have to grow up pretty quickly (mentally that is).

I am not Celiac....but I do have a problem with wheat and wheat-based products. I am also Type II diabetic and have been so for about 10 years now. I have also an extreme problem with blood fats...I have been as much as 10x high risk. As well I have high Blood pressure.

I have long felt that diet was a common problem in my health problem. The riot act was read to me regarding my blood fats about a month ago. The normal drugs to fight this are "statins" ... 10% of those that take these drugs get arthritis in their joints...typically hands....you guessed it! I am in that group...also these drugs made my blood fats worse for me, go figure!

I took glucophage (metfromin) for my diabetes and it was ok for 8 years but slowly its ability to control my sugar diminished and I had to add a glycazide(sp?) drug.

This was a month ago...at that time I went off wheat 100% since there was anecdotal evidence that this helped me when I traveled in Thailand and ate basically a rice diet.

After the last month of being wheat free, I just got my blood fats results and my triglycerides are 2/3 of what they were 30 days ago!! No drugs...just no wheat.

Also my Blood sugars are in the normal range now...is it the extra drug? perhaps but being on a wheat free diet has certainly helped.

PERSONALLY I think that a wheat free diet is a PLUS when it comes to maintaining your blood sugar.

Wheat flour is converted to sugar very easily and by eliminating it I have eliminated a whole host of problem foods for me. Cakes, donuts, pasteries, breads, pastas...all of these rocketed my blood sugar.

As a diabetic you still have to be careful about rice and potatoes...but not so much as wheat flour.

Normal rice like basmati is fine when cooked....but processed rice products like rice cakes/chips are not!!

Normal baked, boiled or mashed potatoes are fine...but potato chips? in moderation.

Normal corn (niblets) or on the cob is fine....but popcorn? again only a little...not a tub at the movie theatre.

It seems that all "processed" foods are suspect.

I don't think I am limited at all since I am not really celiac and I can stand a small amount of wheat in sauces like soy sauce.

I think a Celiac diet is very compatible with diabetes. Add bean dishes and get alternative pasta made with brown rice. I eat more vegetables too.

The problems she is having with her sugars are due to not dosing her properly with insulin. That is tricky when you are an adult....never mind as a five year old who wants candy and soda pop and chips and junk. Also she (the mother) will have to be careful of too much insulin...I hope she checks her levels. A friend of mine who is type I, carries around a can of Coke Classic which is loaded with sugar....if he mis-guesses his insulin he has to raise his sugar levels up quickly and a can of Coke is very good at doing that.

As I said earlier....she will have to be a very disciplined, young lady soon. It can be done...my niece had juvenile diabetes at 12 years old and actually the discipline on her diet changed her from being a cranky, overweight little girl into a very nice beautiful woman in a short period of time

Good luck...I feel sorry for the girl's situation but as far as a diet goes I think a Celiac diet is excellent for controlling diabetes as well.

Archived