This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

3 1/2 Year Old, And Overwhelmed

Annie/NM

Annie/NM Apprentice

Wow, I feel a lot overwhelmed. Let me give you our background. I have a 3 1/2 year old son who started at age 2 with diarhea. It lasted for several months. After all the tests came back negative, they called it "toddler diarhea." The doctor mentioned Celiac's disease but didn't think that it matched my son's body type. He was 10.6 ounces at birth and very tall and robust. Well, 1 1/2 years later we are still have problems with his stool. It seems to be more constipation, or partial stool now (but between 3-7 times a day). Again, they thought it was behavioral or irritable bowel or constipation. He also has very fowl smelling stools and eats very little amounts of food. They decided to do the blood test last week for Celiac again assuring me that it most likely wasn't that. Well the test came back positive. I don't completely understand it all but he is supposed to be under 7 for his levels but came back over 20. So they reassure me that it might still be a negative biopsy (May 9th) but now I'm not so sure reading this board. He doesn't really have any pain, had a big stomache ache on Easter but we thought it was his constipation or all the candy he ate. He does have dark circles under his eyes and just looks sickly a lot of the time. We were worried about something seriously wrong with him. My question is, is it likely with the blood test that his biopsy will be negative? Even if it is, it sounds like we still can't trust that. He also has asthma and mollesca contagiousim (a virus that has wart like bumps all over his trunk). I didn't know if these conditions were related as well. I am new to the board and appreciate any input. THanks for listening!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flagbabyds Collaborator

Hi and welcome to the board. You will find some great resources here.

I would sayt hat go ahead with the biopsy, and make sure to keep him on lots of gluten, this will make sure that if he has celiac, that his biopsy might be positive. There is still a chance of his biopsy being negative, but I would reccomend that you will do the diet andyway, for maybe 6 months or so, and if he improves,then he is a celiac, and if he doesn't then go back to the doctor and have other tests done. And if he is positive, put him on a completely gluten-free diet forever, and he should get better soon. There are a lot of resources here for if he has a positive or a negative biopsy, there is still a chance that if he has a neg. biopsy that he will still have a positive dietary response, which to me is a good enough test. I think that that is the best test for if you are celiac or not, because it shows what you body is feeling, not just what 1 or 2 tests show.

Hope he feels better!

Jnkmnky Collaborator

I would not trust the tests because of his age. Do the diet. 100% gluten free is the rule. Check his shampoo, his lotions, his chapsticks, his sunscreen and all of the food and drink he'll be consuming. Keep him 100% gluten free and record any positive/negative changes every day in a little book. Count bowl movenments and consistency. Record rashes and even take pictures. Do this for a month and go over the results with a COMPETENT dr or just forget the dr and decide for yourself. My son was three when dxed as well. He is now nearly 8. He'd be dead if I hadn't found out about celiac disease. He was in awful shape the day I figured it out.

I would NOT do a biopsy on a 3and a half year old. The damage would likely be spotty at best and all tests are not great at dxing celiac disease in young kids. The diet is the clearest dx.

Guest elysealec

Hi. I just wanted to let you know my daughter was 9.8 at birth and was off the charts throughout her seven years. The only reason we had bloodwork done was because I was diagnosed with celiac disease. Her TTg came back highly elevated and the pediatrician thought it was a mistake. She never even had digestive issues, but she did have behavioral ones. We had the biopsy done at seven under advisement from Dr. Ivor Hill who is a leading expert on celiac disease. She had significant damage at that stage without classic symptoms. Her ped was very nice and said this changed her whole outlook on celiac disease. I do not know about 3.5 vs 7 years old, but I would probably rather be safe than do any more damage if positive. The procedure itself went very smoothly and quick. By the way, her behavior changed dramatically when off gluten.

Good luck.

Vicki

TCA Contributor

My son is also 3 1/2! He had GI issues from 6 weeks old when he had bloody stools. At around 9 mos old, shortly after introducing him to solids. His growth stopped. He was almost walking and no progress was being made there either plus the diarrhea started. This continued for a few months and his pediatrician mentioned Celiac as a possibility. He sent us back to the GI. AT around 20 mos. he did a biopsy (I didn't even know blood work was an option) and it was negative for Celiac. His problems continued and he started having major speech delays, though he finally walked at 16 mos. He still wasn't growing ans started having problems with asthma. His diarrhea was getting worse and he was labeled as having Toddler's Diarrhea (which just means they don't have a clue what's going on IMO) like your son. At 35 mos. he had the blood work done and it was "inconclusive" with elevated IgA and very High IgG. We were told that a biopsy had to be done to confirm it, but it was starting to look like celiac. The biopsy was negative. After all of this we found out that both blood work and biopsies are often incorrect (false negatives) in kids under 5. In Jan. I put him on a gluten-free diet and within three weeks his growth took off and the diarrhea stopped. It has been amazing to see the change. He hasn't had ANY asthma symptoms since we started the diet either. The GI doc now agrees that it's Celiac, but doesn't want to give him an official diagnosis since he doesn't have a positive biopsy and the diagnosis could be hard for insurance purposes later. He knows me very well, though, and said he wasn't doing it because he knew I would keep him on the diet no matter what. Keep in mind that biopsies aren't always correct in those that are so little. The procedure itself isn't a huge deal IMO, but keep in mind it may not be correct if they don't find damage and they need to get at least 6-8 samples. You have to make your own decision, though.

Guest nini

I wouldn't do the biopsy. My daughter was 3 at the time of my dx, and several months later it occured to me that what I had was genetic and it might explain her symtoms. Her bloodwork was negative and her ped. GI refused to even consider a dx of celiac, so I was back to the basics on this one. I got her ped. to agree to a trial of the diet. She signed off on a three week trial and by the end of the first week we had a miraculous recovery. Dietary response is the best indicator. You do not need a Dr.'s permission to put anyone on the diet. In my humble opinion positive bloodwork is more than enough proof. You can have false negatives but you cannot have false positives.

by the way, I tried to e-mail you back with the files you requested and the system you are on refused delivery of it because of the file extensions... it was a zip file... (archive)

Annie/NM Apprentice

Thank you guys for the answers. I have learned more from you guys then I have from my conversations with the dr.'s office so far. I'm not even sure what test they gave him. Just that his levels should be below 7 and they were above 20. So which one does that sound like? IgA or IgG? I have lots of questions, like should my husband and I be tested? What is the percentage of heredity? Or are there just random occurances in children with no family history. My 14 month old son is very wheezy like my 3 year old so now I"m worried, could he be having the same thing but too young to diagnose with the blood test. Would you test him? HOw about my 6 year old son who is very healthy? I"m sorry about my e-mail, I forgot that I work at the schools (I'm a speech pathologist) so they filter out large attachments. (just put the kit as the subject). ANyways, thanks for the input and I'm sure I will be coming to these boards frequently!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

file is sent Annie! good luck!

lbsteenwyk Explorer
I'm not even sure what test they gave him. Just that his levels should be below 7 and they were above 20. So which one does that sound like? IgA or IgG?

My guess is this was a TTG - the most accurate test for celiac disease. Different labs have different normal/abnormal parameters, so it is best to confirm with your doctor which tests were done. You should get a copy of the lab results for your files anyway.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

You and your husband should be tested. The 6 year old should be tested. The baby... well, that's your call, but I'd make him gluten free to be safe.

Archived