This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Do I Get More Calcium?

skinnyminny

skinnyminny Enthusiast

I am gluten free and recently have had problems with diary and it seems to be problematic with soy too, cutting out all of this makes me feel like I am deprived of nutrients I need, I take 2 multi purpose vitamins a day But I feel like I am not getting enough calcium in my diet, I am at the age where I need some!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

You absolutely aren't being deprived of any nutrients, especially if you're eating plenty of organic fruits and vegetables. Dark leafy green veggies (as well as many, many others) can be beneficial in terms of calcium. Certain nuts can be beneficial as well. Make sure you're eating plenty of whole organic foods and you shouldn't have any problems.

jerseyangel Proficient

Actually, in the absence of dairy foods in your diet, you will absorb more of the calcium in your foods. Dark green leafy veggies, almonds, molassas, figs, salmon, calcium fortified oj and beans all are sources of calcium.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I merely echo what the others have said on dark leafy greens, beans, dried fruits, and fortified orange juice. For reference, some values from Open Original Shared Link:

• 1 cup collard greens, boiled - 266mg calcium
  • 1 cup spinach, boiled - 245mg calcium
  • 1 cup white beans, boiled - 190mg calcium
  • 1 cup beet greens, boiled - 164mg calcium
  • 1 cup bok-choy, boiled - 160mg calcium
  • 1 cup dandelion green, boiled - 150mg calcium (in honor of all the weeding I did this weekend ;) )
  • 1 cup canned blue crab - 136mg calcium
  • 1 cup great northern beans, boiled - 120mg calcium
  • 1 cup edible podded peas (sugar snap or snow) - 90mg calcium
  • 1 cup garbanzo beans, boiled - 80mg calcium
  • 1 oz almonds - 70mg calcium

Fortified milk substitutes - like rice milk and almond milk - can also provide additional calcium.

And, despite eating a healthy, well balanced diet full of fresh fruits and vegetables, since I need extra calcium for migraine and menstrual cramp prevention, I also take 500mg twice a day in a supplement. You can get the calcium you need for bone density without supplementation, though - especially if you make sure to get plenty of vitamin D and magnesium, and weight bearing exericse, as calcium is NOT the end-all-be-all that it's made out to be in the media when it comes to bone health.

skinnyminny Enthusiast

I eat lots of spinach, almonds, tons of fruit and veggies, I just thought I was missing out on calcium from the most thought of source milk, I should be fine then. thank you all for helping me think about the whole foods I can eat and do eat!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I drink about 2 cups of calcium enriched orange juice everyday. Plus, I drink rice, almond, and soy milk.

Salmon and shrimp are good sources of vitamin D.

Laura Apprentice

They make calcium supplements that are flavored chews that really taste like candy. Always better if you can get a nutrient through actual foods, but it's worth knowing about anyway.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived