• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I have the most expensive Kitchenaid Toaster, from before our family was gluten free. I was wondering if there is a way to clean it to where we could use it again. We used it maybe a dozen times total with regular wheat products, so it's not like it had been used a great deal before. If anyone has any experience with making your toaster gluten free again, please let me know. I really don't want to have to use the toaster bags at $2.50 a piece.... :unsure:

I know what you mean--we have a Cusinart toaster. When I was first diagnosed, I went to Wal Mart and bought an $11 toaster for myself--the others use the Cusinart. Actually, in my case, I'm glad it was only $11 because I found I can't tolerate grains, so there's not anything to toast anymore. :lol: To answer your question, I don't know of any way to successfully clean the inside of a toaster.

not really. perhaps if you took it apart piece by piece (like an electrician would), but you probably would want to be an electrician in order to put it back together. btw, the toaster bags can be reused a number of times.

Yeah, the toaster is one item I would not try to clean myself--seems to difficult...

We have a toaster oven which is rather easy to take out all the inside racks and all. I cleaned the racks in side the toaster in the sink and then used a small amount of oven cleaner and water to get out all the crumbs. I then went over it with a wet paper towel again. I shook the toaster every possible way multiple times to try and get crumbs out, but luckily since it was a toaster oven most of the crumbs were caught in the tray. I wonder if I did a good enough job? Any opinions?

I tried this route too and it's near impossible. The crumbs get trapped under the coils, some are permanently imbedded in the metal.