This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

Aussie Peg

MissWingBat Newbie

Yes Joss it takes time for the lingo, the DD and the gluten-free, celiac disease's, DX, LMAO and BTW's.

I have also discovered Muffin Break, I love their savoury muffins but are a bit cautious. I asked in depth what the process is in making them, they go in early and make them up before making the other muffins etc, etc. No CC. But then the other day I went in for a lunch snack, and asked for a savoury muffin, to which the guy said, it'll be 3 mins as they are still in the oven (?). So then, when it arrived, he said, "Fresh out of the oven for you!" which was weird, as it was stone cold. I had to get him to put it into the mike to warm it up. So, instead of asking and causing a fuss, I ate it (Because I was out with friends and didn't want to blahblahblah). I'm newly diagnosed so I'm still not sure of attacks etc, but as far as I know I was ok. I think.

Does anyone know anything about OBENTO rice vinegar, and the 'glutinous' rice it contains? I had a huge attack yesterday (couldn't move arms or legs) and was wondering if it was the sushi rolls I made or the strongbow I drank. Or do symptoms attack like 24 hours after consuming?

BTW Joss, thanks for all that info (THANKS AUSSIE PEG!) that is legendary and saved me SO MUCH TIME!! It will be my inhouse bible for my bag now!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Joss Rookie

MissWingBat first Aussie Peg would have forwarded that info to you, but I just happened to be online so I sent it instead. I only hope I did not step on any toes. I keep it on my desktop handy to use at a moments notice.

Next never ask them to put it in the microwave to warm up as this could lead to cross contamination

( I learnt that the other day) I am very dubious about their savoury muffins anyway. It sounds as though there are some major problems at that store. Each one is owned and operated separately.

Last night I used a pessary (prolapsed bladder) and straight away I had tummy pains and cramps, so I must find out what the fillers are.

There is an article about glutenous rice here: https://www.celiac.com/index.php?showtopic=25996

Joss

Aussie Peg Rookie

I'm so happy everyone is finding my info so helpful!!! You're welcome to email it amongst yourselves, i don't mind at all :)

i'm thinking of starting a website to post all the info i gather coz i discover new stuff all the time!

I just got tested for allergies to tomato, nuts, seafood, and dairy so it'll be very interesting to see the results next week!

I bought some gingerbread biscuits today from mrs flannery's and they're so yummy! they're made by iron pot foods (Open Original Shared Link) which makes some other gluten free treats as well (some are dairy free too :))

I'm having a gluten-free pizza from Pizza Capers tonight for a treat, they're so delicious although i have had a mild glutening from one once due to cross contamination but once isn't bad for the amount of times i've had them...and I can't resist! :)

MissWingBat Newbie

Hello Aussie Peg (and others!)

How do you get tested for the other allergies? Is it through your normal doctor or a naturpath?

I think it definitely was the sushi somehow because I guinea-pigged myself the next day without the kids and 1/2hour after eating it again I was out-for-it for 2 hours. Then later in the day I drank a strongbow with no side effects (apart from feeling good!!) So I wonder, what, in sushi (Rice, rice vinegar, sea weed, prawns, avo, cuc and carrot) could have made me feel that way.

I see that you are only 25 Aussie Peg, what a shame I don't live in Brissi anymore. But I can't beat the weather up here and its great being in a town where you can get anywhere within 15 minutes. I see the traffic jams in Brissi on the news here, and then the storms you've been having - ARGH!

Joss, thanks for the info on Muffin Break, I'll watch that next time and will ask again about their cooking processes. Does seem a bit suss!! Can I ask - what is a pessary bladder?

Aussie Peg - where is Mrs Flannerys? Is it a chain store?

Ok, it's friday night and that's time to go let my hair down (as soon as the kids go to bed!!) YAYAY!

MWB

Aussie Peg Rookie

Hi misswingbat!

I just went to my GP and told her about my symptoms and i wanted to get allergy tested. I took a list of food suspects and so she ordered 4 RAST tests (you get blood taken at a blood collecting place like sullivan nicolaides which then goes to a lab to do the testing, any more than 4 RAST tests a year and you start paying lots for them). She also told me to make an appointment with an allergist which i have done but as there are only 3 or 4 in brissie, i couldn't get an appointment until the end of January! I'm sure if my symptoms were very serious i'd get in earlier though.

Thats very strange about the sushi, I can't think what it could be except for CC. Did you make it on a chopping board which is also used (or has been used in the past) for bread or anything else glutany? Very curious!

We were up at the barrier reef the other day and it really is beautiful up north! A little too toasty for me though! :) I'm loving the storms around, they're so exciting, of course I don't like the destructive ones!

Mrs Flannery is a health food chain store, heres the website : Open Original Shared Link

They have lots of gluten and dairy free stuff, though many of their products can be bought at the supermarket for less money. I'd avoid the containers you scoop food out of yourself though as i've had CC issues with them.

Muffin break has lots of info on how their gluten-free muffins are made on their website and all the ingredients for them too (i'm sure some shops aren't as careful as others though): Open Original Shared Link

Enjoy setting your hair free tonight MissWingBat!! :)

Joss Rookie

Aussie Peg I think I ordered a Toastabag yesterday. I placed my order and paid with my credit card. Then I was informed that I would be notified soon about the final price. Somehow I find this a bit strange. I hope I get my little toaster mate sometime soon.

Miss wing Bat I have a prolapsed bladder and a pessary is used to treat this condition.

Joss

MissWingBat Newbie

Well, llok at that, you learn something new everyday!! Thanks Joss. I'm a bit of a dork sometimes.

I love this forum, I learn all new stuff and go and research into it. Joss, I didn't really go into the finer details whilst looking it up, but something did catch my eye about cocoa butter being used with pessaries. I can't remember which site but that may be the cause of your problems... ??

The cutting board I used was a general one Aussie Peg, I didn't think I was at 'that stage' but it certainly is something to note. I used the toaster after doing the kids toast yesterday to do some gluten free fruit bread (and, well, it was sorta ok... after I sprinkled SUGAR on it!! :D ) It just is a totally different taste to... bread! What is a toaster bag anyways - (a bag you put your toaster in! ha!)

My bro has arrived from Cairns today so we are having a BBQ with big fat steaks. YUM! Have a great sunday afternoon!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wombat Newbie

anyone else here go to the Celiac Clinic at the Royal Melbourne Hospital???

MissWingBat Newbie

Hi there,

I have just received an email from Unilever with a 3 page doc outlining all their gluten free products. It has such brands as continental, Bertolli and like the chicken tonight varieties. If anyone is interested in it, I'll be happy to email it to you.

I actually contacted their company to find out which of their streets icecreams are gluten free, but this is a bonus!

I received my Celiac pack from the QLD society yesterday, is anyone else a member? Did you find the info handy? I got a range of free samples of food products too, like a bag of JellyBelly beans which are so nice.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Saz Explorer

Firstly, Thanks to Aussie Peg for that info. :D

Does anyone else find that adding cornflour and bi carb to muffins helps them to rise? I left these out of some muffins I made yesterday and they didn't rise :angry:

Also just wondering if anyone is having trouble getting the Deigo's corn tortillas? My local Coles have been out for over a week, I haven't checked anywhere else but a week is a long time to be out, so just wondering if anyone knows anything.

I'm not sure how long ago this happened but I just discovered that Cadbury have updated their chocolate list. It now includes things such as Mint flakes which are ok!

oh, I tired the Basco Honey O's and they aren't bad, I've found I have to have milk on them but other than that they make a nice change.

MissWingBat Newbie

Hi there every1,

Saz, I made banana cake last week - absolutely beautiful fresh out the oven, but alas! It didn't rise either - and then the next day it seemed to get heavier and heavier. I used SR flour, no bicarb or cornflour.

My little boy's b'day party is coming up next weekend, all the fam are coming over and they are still to realise what gluten-free means. So does anyone have any great party food ideas that I can slip in, and then surprise them that they are gluten free! He had his actual birthday yesterday where we went to the waterpark, and I bought 'bought' cake and chips and lollies, which I couldn't have any of. So I wanted to have stuff at his party that I was ok to snack on - its hard to celebrate your babies birthday without having any cake. Just slicing it up and not licking your fingers was hard enough!

Usually for parties I make my killer mini-quiches - but they are with puff pastry. Anyone had any luck finding or making their own pastry?

Thanks in advance...!!!

nutralady2001 Newbie
Firstly, Thanks to Aussie Peg for that info. :D

Does anyone else find that adding cornflour and bi carb to muffins helps them to rise? I left these out of some muffins I made yesterday and they didn't rise :angry:

Also just wondering if anyone is having trouble getting the Deigo's corn tortillas? My local Coles have been out for over a week, I haven't checked anywhere else but a week is a long time to be out, so just wondering if anyone knows anything.

I'm not sure how long ago this happened but I just discovered that Cadbury have updated their chocolate list. It now includes things such as Mint flakes which are ok!

oh, I tired the Basco Honey O's and they aren't bad, I've found I have to have milk on them but other than that they make a nice change.

Yes I saw that they had updated their website :D

Joss Rookie

I don't eat much processed food but I tried the Leda mintons which tasted fine to me. How about having fruit at you baby's party. I love sliced rockmelon. Just remember to keep your food separated and far away from the glutenous stuff.

If you buy some icy pole molds, you will have to fight the kids off to get them. I make mine with chopped fruits and OJ. Just push the diced fruit into the molds and add some juice. I squeeze my own just to be safe.

There are also some great crackers available in Coles and Woolies. They are Eskal Deli Crackers and come in original, or onion. They are about $4 a pack, well $3.86 or so here.I like the Vegespread by freedom foods on them too. I like this more than Vegemite for some reason.

Anyway I hope you have a great party.

Joss

Saz Explorer

[quote name='MissWingBat' date='Oct 24 2007, 07:40 AM' post='356059'

My little boy's b'day party is coming up next weekend, all the fam are coming over and they are still to realise what gluten-free means. So does anyone have any great party food ideas that I can slip in, and then surprise them that they are gluten free! He had his actual birthday yesterday where we went to the waterpark, and I bought 'bought' cake and chips and lollies, which I couldn't have any of. So I wanted to have stuff at his party that I was ok to snack on - its hard to celebrate your babies birthday without having any cake. Just slicing it up and not licking your fingers was hard enough!

Usually for parties I make my killer mini-quiches - but they are with puff pastry. Anyone had any luck finding or making their own pastry?

Thanks in advance...!!!

Joss Rookie

I dislike the pastry in quiiches anyway. Why not make it like a fritata and just bake the filling in a nonstick dish/tray. Thinly sliced and overlapped potato also amkes a good quiche base.

I hope you have a great party MissWingBat and big birthday hugs to your little party person.

Joss

nutralady2001 Newbie

Just thought I'd add for those who use Nutrimetics skin care/ cosmetics here is information on their products that contain gluten

Open Original Shared Link

confusedks Enthusiast

Hello all,

I may be going to visit my dad in NZ over Christmas time. I was wondering what the labelling laws are down there. I used to live there, but that was pre dx. I am soy, gluten, dairy and nut free. Would it be difficult to get food free of all that? He lives in Auckland, so we could go shopping around there.

Kassandra

amber Explorer

Did anyone go to the Gluten Free Expo in Melbourne last weekend?

I actually volunteer for the Victorian Coeliac Society so I was working at their stand. The expo was excellent with about 150 stands of gluten free food and lots and lots of samples to try. It was much better than last year as it was over two days and not as crowded. They had 13,000 people go thru the doors which was excellent.

Some interesting discoveries:

Eksal are soon going to release gluten free ice cream cones. These will be in packs of 12 and priced at about $4.50 which is cheap compared to other brands. Coles will stock them.

Also they are soon going to release gluten free waffles!!

I didn't get a good look around as I was working but some great stuff was available.

pickles1 Newbie
Hi there every1,

Saz, I made banana cake last week - absolutely beautiful fresh out the oven, but alas! It didn't rise either - and then the next day it seemed to get heavier and heavier. I used SR flour, no bicarb or cornflour.

Thanks in advance...!!!

Well you can have original flavoured potato chips, and a range of lollies and chocolates (i like minties personally) so theres the junky stuff sorted. For "proper" foods, frittata is awesome as someone else mentioned. Also you could make sushi, or have cornchips and dips? Guacamole, hummus, salsa etc. Some gluten-free bakeries make turkish bread, and party pies and sausage rolls. (Not sure where you are, if you're in Perth I know Alternative Bites has all that.) Cheese platter with dried fruit and gluten-free crackers. And I'd go a big bowl of strawberries, maybe with cream :)

MissWingBat Newbie

Hello everyone,

sorry I haven't said a HUGE THANKYOU for all your wonderful ideas - sometimes I can be a bit brain-dead. I am going to do - pastry free mini quiches using gluten-free flour, sushi rolls, and a lovely platter with dips and bits that are gluten-free. I'm going to sneak into the BBQ some gluten-free rissoles (old family recipe) and some gluten-free sausages, which, no-one has noticed yet.

All said and done, come party day sometimes I start 'tippling' a bit early and forget to cook and then we just have whatever on the BBQ. All child's B'day parties before the age of 4 are roughly disguised as a chance for the 'big kids' to have a party...

It's my first occasion at home to show the extended family and friends the choices that I do have with gluten-free food, because it seems that all I have gotten since telling them I was DX is "Oh, you can't eat sh*t now..." (which I have never done - AHHAHA) I also was told the other day by a family member that "All these new diet fads are so hard to follow, weight watchers is just as hard..." Yep - still have a bit of Celiac Disease Drum Beating and Soap Boxing to do.

But the good news is that my dad and his partner are going gluten-free without a DX - they eat no processed food whatever so the change will be minimal...

Another HUUUUUUUGE weekend on the way - WEEEEEeeeeEEEEEE!!!

Joss Rookie
Hello all,

I may be going to visit my dad in NZ over Christmas time. I was wondering what the labelling laws are down there. I used to live there, but that was pre dx. I am soy, gluten, dairy and nut free. Would it be difficult to get food free of all that? He lives in Auckland, so we could go shopping around there.

Kassandra

Kassandra you should be fine. It will be Summer in NZ and there will be a lot of seasonal fruit and vegetables. I think they get similar product in New Zealand as we do in Australia. There is a great celiac group there, so I would google that and get in touch with a representive from there. I am gluten and dairy free and vegan to boot and I get by very well indeed.

Here the label has to state if there is any gluten, dairy, nuts or soy in the product. I don't know about the Kiwi labelling, but i suspect it's similar to ours.

I hope you have a great holiday with your dad. Lucky You!

Joss

Joss Rookie
Hello everyone,

sorry I haven't said a HUGE THANKYOU for all your wonderful ideas - sometimes I can be a bit brain-dead. I am going to do - pastry free mini quiches using gluten-free flour, sushi rolls, and a lovely platter with dips and bits that are gluten-free. I'm going to sneak into the BBQ some gluten-free rissoles (old family recipe) and some gluten-free sausages, which, no-one has noticed yet.

All said and done, come party day sometimes I start 'tippling' a bit early and forget to cook and then we just have whatever on the BBQ. All child's B'day parties before the age of 4 are roughly disguised as a chance for the 'big kids' to have a party...

It's my first occasion at home to show the extended family and friends the choices that I do have with gluten-free food, because it seems that all I have gotten since telling them I was DX is "Oh, you can't eat sh*t now..." (which I have never done - AHHAHA) I also was told the other day by a family member that "All these new diet fads are so hard to follow, weight watchers is just as hard..." Yep - still have a bit of Celiac Disease Drum Beating and Soap Boxing to do.

But the good news is that my dad and his partner are going gluten-free without a DX - they eat no processed food whatever so the change will be minimal...

Another HUUUUUUUGE weekend on the way - WEEEEEeeeeEEEEEE!!!

Have a great weekend Miss Wing Bat.

Joss

nutralady2001 Newbie
Did anyone go to the Gluten Free Expo in Melbourne last weekend?

I actually volunteer for the Victorian Coeliac Society so I was working at their stand. The expo was excellent with about 150 stands of gluten free food and lots and lots of samples to try. It was much better than last year as it was over two days and not as crowded. They had 13,000 people go thru the doors which was excellent.

Some interesting discoveries:

Eksal are soon going to release gluten free ice cream cones. These will be in packs of 12 and priced at about $4.50 which is cheap compared to other brands. Coles will stock them.

Also they are soon going to release gluten free waffles!!

I didn't get a good look around as I was working but some great stuff was available.

Amber do you know if any other States are planning gluten-free expos? Might ask the SA one. Thanks for the heads-up on the ice-cream cones and waffles...yumm!! I miss muffins but have found Country Life hamburger buns they are really thick and cut in half and toasted I then pop them under the grill with tomoato and cheese.

Have also found a great bread.....Moore's has linseed in it, is moister than Country Life and also the slices are bigger

Joss Rookie

I like Moores bread too. It's quite expensive though at nearly $6 per loaf.

Joss

Kaycee Collaborator

Kassandra, Joss was right in saying that NZ is similar in it's labelling laws to Australia. We here have to have things labelled if they contain any 8 of the most common food allergens or intolerances. We may not have as much variety as Aussie, but we have an abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Cathy

Hello all,

Kassandra

Archived