This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is There A Cure?

KayJay

KayJay Enthusiast

To make a long story short my dh was taking to friends that know someone in Australia with Celiac. They said she went to a doctor and he is all knowing of Celiac and has a cure or something like that. She went thorough the treatment or took a pill (they don't know) but for the last 9 months she eats gluten and feels great.

So is there a cure? The lady who is cured is on vacation for 2 more weeks and then they are going to give me her contact information.

Anyone know about this Dr. in Australia or this cure? Sounds good to me :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

I would have a hard time believing that this is a cure. Cure to me would mean that the immune reaction would cease to happen, and there would be no risk of any intestinal damage. That would be a very difficult thing to verify. Because you can have celiac, with intestinal damage and positive biopsy and not have any symptoms whatsoever.

The only thing I would believe at this point in history would be that maybe someone will come up with something that might help or prevent symptoms, but not a cure. If this man was saying that he had found something that would help supress symptoms of being glutened, I would be open to that.

I'm very open to alternative things, but I'm also not willing to think that there is a cure to something that has a genetic component. I would suspect that he either doesn't know enough about celiac to know the details of the disease, or he's boasting and overstating his product or method.

I'd love to hear more about this if you get more info. Eventually I'm sure there will be a cure for celiac, and who knows if it will be figured out by a big pharmaceutical company like Pfizer or by a guy in Australia.

Nancy

gfp Enthusiast
I would have a hard time believing that this is a cure. Cure to me would mean that the immune reaction would cease to happen, and there would be no risk of any intestinal damage. That would be a very difficult thing to verify. Because you can have celiac, with intestinal damage and positive biopsy and not have any symptoms whatsoever.

The only thing I would believe at this point in history would be that maybe someone will come up with something that might help or prevent symptoms, but not a cure. If this man was saying that he had found something that would help supress symptoms of being glutened, I would be open to that.

I'm very open to alternative things, but I'm also not willing to think that there is a cure to something that has a genetic component. I would suspect that he either doesn't know enough about celiac to know the details of the disease, or he's boasting and overstating his product or method.

I'd love to hear more about this if you get more info. Eventually I'm sure there will be a cure for celiac, and who knows if it will be figured out by a big pharmaceutical company like Pfizer or by a guy in Australia.

Nancy

Last time someone in Australia said they had a cure for ulcers it turned out to be true!

and that was against all medical knowledge.

aggieceliac Newbie
Last time someone in Australia said they had a cure for ulcers it turned out to be true!

and that was against all medical knowledge.

When I went to my doctor last she mentioned something similar. She knows a doctor down there with a pill of some sorts. A long name and I can't remember the abbreviation for it though. She mentioned it's something that most doctor's don't really "believe". He had done something else in the medical field before that no one believed and ended up winning an award or something like that. So who knows. Maybe this is why I've always wanted to visit Australia.

mamaw Community Regular

I wonder if the doctor is DR.Williams???? Please keep us posted, I'm a believer in alternative meds.........You non-believers can call me crazy!!!!!!!1

mamaw

amber-rose Contributor

Wow! Thats so awesome!! I hope that it truly works! But it WOULD take awhile for it to come to America because the FDA (or something like that) would have to test it and approve it. But that is so exciting!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

There is no cure at this point and I don't think there is a "cure". I know they were testing some sort of pill so you will be able to ingest gluten but thats not a cure because you will have to take pills like every day of your life. I would rather stay gluten free and have them on hand in case of accidental glutenings.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast
There is no cure at this point and I don't think there is a "cure". I know they were testing some sort of pill so you will be able to ingest gluten but thats not a cure because you will have to take pills like every day of your life. I would rather stay gluten free and have them on hand in case of accidental glutenings.

That is exactly what most MD's and especially GI's said about taking cyclohexane (a very cheap antibiotic) against being on rantitidine (the wonder drug) for life. Indeed they continued to say that for 5 years after the discovery and tests and had the antibiotics not already been FDA approved the US still wouldn't have a cure for ulcers.

Archived