This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is It Really That Easy For Some?

Eeyorific

tarnalberry Community Regular

I guess I just don't get the "we don't even have bread" thing. I hardly ever have bread. Who needs it? Seriously. Sloppy joes on chips? OK! Make it tortillas instead (corn) and it'll be both cheaper and healthier (less unnecessary oil).

I know it's tough, and I'm not trying to sound unsympathetic at all, but trying to encourage you to think differently. Don't think about foods in the same way you always have - you can't if you're not going to buy specialty stuff to replace the gluten and dairy. (I'm Gluten-free Casein-free as well, and don't eat much soy.) Get creative and think about how you can make chicken taste *totally* different five days a well (and yes, you can - the key is changing cooking method, texture, and spices).

Make increased use of the cheap 'fillers' - rice, beans, and lentils, to stretch the more expensive items farther, and keep leftovers (or new dishes with these items) in the fridge for snacking on, instead of expensive, packaged snacks. They're also more filling, so they will last longer.

It'll take some time for legwork (at the library over the cookbooks and in the kitchen) until you can do this sort of thing in your sleep, but it can be done!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AmyTopolski Apprentice

Hi,

I can agree with how hard it is and expensive for the whole house to go gluten free. My daughter will be 3 next month and our other daughter is 16 months old. I am 23 and my husband is 25. We don't have a lot of money and our grocery bill has increased. My husband donates plasma to pay for our groceries. We decided to go gluten free not only to avoid contamination, but also because our daughter is so young and we don't want her to be resentful of jelous of others foods. We do not buy any prepackaged gluten free foods, cereals or breads. I do all of the baking. Bread, cookies, muffins ect. It's a lot cheaper that way. We also just found out our daughter has an egg allergy. So, now she is down to fruits, veggies and meat. She does not like potatoes and doesn't eat much meat. All we can di is trust God to provide for our needs. I also think having the whole house gluten free is less stress! Hope this helps.

Amy

Guest AutumnE
I guess I just don't get the "we don't even have bread" thing. I hardly ever have bread. Who needs it? Seriously. Sloppy joes on chips? OK! Make it tortillas instead (corn) and it'll be both cheaper and healthier (less unnecessary oil).

I know it's tough, and I'm not trying to sound unsympathetic at all, but trying to encourage you to think differently. Don't think about foods in the same way you always have - you can't if you're not going to buy specialty stuff to replace the gluten and dairy. (I'm Gluten-free Casein-free as well, and don't eat much soy.) Get creative and think about how you can make chicken taste *totally* different five days a well (and yes, you can - the key is changing cooking method, texture, and spices).

Make increased use of the cheap 'fillers' - rice, beans, and lentils, to stretch the more expensive items farther, and keep leftovers (or new dishes with these items) in the fridge for snacking on, instead of expensive, packaged snacks. They're also more filling, so they will last longer.

It'll take some time for legwork (at the library over the cookbooks and in the kitchen) until you can do this sort of thing in your sleep, but it can be done!

I totally understand what you are saying but I do sympathize with the original poster. Im not sure if you have small children who are use to gluten filled foods but my daughter has been and her cousins eat it who are not gluten free. I have to buy breads, pretzels, and make snacks so she doesnt feel left out and cry over not eating pretzels too like she has always been allowed till now. Its a totally different feel because if it were me its doable because Im an adult and understand but its heartbreaking as a parent to see it.

I dont have gluten filled things here but she sees it at family functions and as a child doesnt understand it.

aprilh Apprentice

Here is what I have been doing:

Breakfast: Namaste pancake and waffle mix. Make the whole bag and frigerate or freeze for the rest of the week. Eggs and gluten-free bacon. Rice bread for toast.

Lunch: I pack leftovers

Dinner: I watch Rachel Ray 30 minute meals to get ideas. Then I change as needed to fit our dairy free, corn free, gluten free diet. Some things I have made that are good.

Lemon chicken with Rice. Very easy 1 skillet recipe.

I use frozen peas, lima beans, and crowder peas. INexpensive and easy to heat.

Salmon cakes using either Gluten free bread crumbs or make your own gluten-free bread crumbs with Rice bread.

Steak of course is always good and easy.

Roast with potatoes and carrots usually goes a long way.

Grilled chicken

Homemade chicken noodle soup - the kids love it and its not hard! I use Rice noodles for that.

Last night I watched Rachel make a honey nut chicken and I modified it using pecans and honey. It turned out real good.

I wanted Qdoba's naked burrito so I made sauteed chicken and onions and garlic. Made some rice. Heated some pinto beans from the can. Put the rice down, chicken and beans on top. Everyone loved it!

Roasted pork loin with apples. YUM!

Baked sweet potatoes are cheap and easy

I make homemade French Fries with potatoes, cut them up, toss them in ziploc with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes or so. Kids love it.

I made gluten-free mac and cheese but my daughter will now be dairy free along with me and baby boy so no more of that.

I make 2 veggie with every meal. I make enough so there are always leftovers for lunch. 3 of us now pack lunch everyday. I try to eat something fresh so I'll cut up a cucumber and a pinch of salt. Cut up an orange to snack. Snack on almonds and pecans. I buy the rice cakes and put sunflower butter on top for the kids.

I buy the envirokids cereals ( corn free, gluten free cereals are hard to find!) the cocoa ones the kids love. I make homemade gluten-free, DF banana bread and apple spice bread for snacks. I use the store bought (or online bought) starters and add fresh bananas and/or apples.

I make a yummy vegetable and beef soup using grass fed ground beef. Easy recipe and lasts long.

If any of these ideas sound good, let me know I'll send you my recipe! Those are a few. But to tell you the truth, If I don't watch cooking shows to get more ideas I get really bored and so do the kids! I take the food they cook and modify it.

plantime Contributor

Since your son can't have corn, try putting your sloppy jos on fries. That is how I eat them, and I find them quite delicious. Switching to eating meat and veggies is the best way to go glutenfree, and it is cheap. Your family gets more nutrients out of it, you get less expense on the grocery bill. Don't have time to cook every night? Buy some freezer containers and cook enough one night to do two meals. Eat one, freeze the other. Do this for a couple of weeks, it will build up a good supply of quick meals for you. Are your kids old enough to cook? Have a cooking day, where each person chooses a meal and cooks it, then put them in the freezer for the following week.

All of the tips on this thread are fantastic!

Archived