This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Cheated And Nothing Happened!

DingoGirl

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

:blink: Holy cow.

But that "what will happen?" aspect of your personality makes you a phenominal researcher. Seriously. If you had your own lab, you'd probably discover the cure for everything.

Someone get this girl a chemistry set!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Oh Susan, our Susan..what are we gona do with ya :blink:

I'll share my poison ivy story.

was in college and went with friends to a old country church in the hills of Ohio w/o an outhouse.

Of course, long ride and hr in church soooooo you can guess the rest..

we all had to 'squat' in the bushes..and try explaining the 'poison ivy' down there.. :blink::o:ph34r: to the family dr...I'll never get over that one. (AND NO DIDN'T USE LEAVES TO WIPE--WAS SMART ENOUGH NOT TO DO THAT..DID A FAST DRIP DRY BUT GUESS I DIDN'T TAKE TIME TO LOOK BEFORE I ..WELL YOU KNOW.

JUDY

Mtndog Collaborator

was in college and went with friends to a old country church in the hills of Ohio w/o an outhouse.

we all had to 'squat' in the bushes..and try explaining the 'poison ivy' down there.. :blink::o:ph34r: to the family dr...I'll never get over that one. (AND NO DIDN'T USE LEAVES TO WIPE--WAS SMART ENOUGH NOT TO DO THAT..DID A FAST DRIP DRY BUT GUESS I DIDN'T TAKE TIME TO LOOK BEFORE I ..WELL YOU KNOW.

JUDY

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have a friend who uhmm.. decided to "get it on" with his girlfriend while camping in the woods. MASSIVE POISON OAK everywhere. Interestingly enough, after he recovered he developed SEVERE allergies to everything from nuts to peanuts to shellfish to dogs/cats. Interesting!

eleep Enthusiast
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have a friend who uhmm.. decided to "get it on" with his girlfriend while camping in the woods. MASSIVE POISON OAK everywhere. Interestingly enough, after he recovered he developed SEVERE allergies to everything from nuts to peanuts to shellfish to dogs/cats. Interesting!

I was just about to tell a similar story about my college roommate -- she and her boyfriend had horrific poison ivy _everywhere_.

brendygirl Community Regular
Don't ask me why I cheated......it's been a terrible couple of months and I just didn't care any more. Also, wanted to see what would happen and was actually hoping to lose some weight.... :ph34r:

So I was awaiting the onslaught, usually 12 hours later, and now it's almost 24 hours later, and NOTHING HAPPENED. Nothing. Not even gas. How is this possible? I get cross-contamination and have violent D for half the day, and I purposefully eat THREE DONUTS and NOTHING HAPPENS?????

Am absolutely flummoxed about this. Any ideas? thanks!

When I was buying donuts for my students, the woman gave me a free one (since I was a new customer) and I ate it and I had NO REACTION.

I think they used different flour to make donuts because I remember my mom making them when I was little and the flour seemed SO fine (reminds me of gluten-free flours).

I cheat with donuts once in a while, since they don't gluten me...and you can't beat the TEXTURE!!!!!!mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

My mom encourages me to eat them.

My doctor doesn't have a clue about celiac, so no chiding from him, either.

A few less villi...haha I do it accidentally, why not on purpose from time to time?

Guest nini
When I was buying donuts for my students, the woman gave me a free one (since I was a new customer) and I ate it and I had NO REACTION.

I think they used different flour to make donuts because I remember my mom making them when I was little and the flour seemed SO fine (reminds me of gluten-free flours).

I cheat with donuts once in a while, since they don't gluten me.

oh but they are glutening you, just because you aren't having a visible reaction it does not mean you are not doing damage to your intestines... I have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to gluten. If you cheat at all you are not gluten free.

brendygirl Community Regular
oh but they are glutening you, just because you aren't having a visible reaction it does not mean you are not doing damage to your intestines... I have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to gluten. If you cheat at all you are not gluten free.

I KNOW they are affecting me- notice I wrote "a few less villi" in reference to intestinal damage??

I get glutened about twice a month UNintentionally, so I figure why not throw in a few enjoyable ones?

Forgive me if I wanted to reply to share the fact that I have had the same experience. HOW AWFUL OF ME- on a SUPPORT BOARD????

When I said I don't "get glutened" I was referring to the pain and stomach effects- I feel normal, which is better than the accidental glutenings- like when they served a bun on top of my pork chop on my road trip and we had no time to send it back (closing time) and I just had to wipe off the chop and eat it or starve in the middle of Idaho at night.

You're right. I'm bad. SOOOO bad. I like being bad. I'm the "perfect" elementary school teacher all day long. It's FUN to enjoy a donut once in awhile. The funny thing is, I didn't really eat donuts before I went gluten-free. haha.

I guess you thought I was ASKING a question...so you gave ADVICE instead of support. That's good, I'll EXPECT JUDGEMENT next time I post

OR I'll just not be honest and act like I never cheat...so you can be pleased.

I'm a mentor teacher, and I would never JUDGE a new teacher like that when she shares something personal with me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

oh excuse me. Sorry. I was just trying to make sure it was clear not just to you, but to any other newbies reading this thread, that cheating is not ok. Did not mean to offend.

I'm feeling a little testy tonight as I've been up half the night from an accidentaly cc glutening so sue me for trying to keep perspective on the cheating issue. I certainly wasn't trying to pass judgement on you and I don't appreciate your attitude in the way you responded back to me.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Nini and Brendygirl, before this turns into an awful fight, can we just say that you both have good points--and very different styles that might not be compatible in this subject? It looks to me that neither of you means to offend, and that both of you seem a little testy (probably with very good reason!)!

As a would-be-impartial observer, I can clearly see how BOTH of your comments might offend the other--andit's equally clear that NEITHER of your comments were meant to offend.

PLEASE calm down (and blame the gluten, not each other!)!!!!

Guest nini
PLEASE calm down (and blame the gluten, not each other!)!!!!

I did blame the gluten and I am calm... sorry.

TriticusToxicum Explorer
OMG Just today in the mail I got a letter from my GI's office, it is time for my followup visit and bloodwork :ph34r: Holy cheating batman, is this going to change my numbers? am going to put it off as long as possible.......of course I will tell him and he will give me a scolding but also will have that cute smirk that he gets......

Great Avatar. Is that you basking in the afterglow of 3 gluteny donuts? You look great! :)

Tell the truth - you've got the hots for the doc, right? (too much Grey's Anatomy?) :P

dlp252 Apprentice

JUDY

:lol::lol::lol::wub::lol::ph34r:

almostnrn Explorer

AHHHHH don't cheat!!! I was also among those who wondered why I didn't have a reaction when in a moment of weakness I gobbled up a couple of slices of pizza until this past summer. I was diagnosed with DH in Aug 2005. I never have really had any GI symptoms just the horrific rash. My doctor insisted I have "the scope" done this summer to make sure I had celiac and I agreed knowing it was the right thing to do. I viewed this as my "final hoorah" with regular food knowing what the answer would be. After 6 weeks on a regular diet I spent my summer so sick and unable to function my husband was afraid I was going to die (quite litterally). While I did experience the bloating and some mild GI problems, I also have cognitive impairment and migraines (7 in the month of July alone). I guess the moral of the story is no matter how small the cheating is, it WILL do damage even if you don't realize its going on. You may not even realize that you are having symptoms unless they are GI related. I knew I didn't feel great but I didn't realize just how sick I was until I listen to my husband and kids talk about how I was over the summer. Good luck, stay gluten-free. I keep a few gluten-free mixes in the house all the times (cookies, brownies etc) for when that sweet tooth hits me. They are fast and easy to mix up and most of the time I find myself threatning the rest of my family for trying to eat them up!

Scott Adams Grand Master

Research has shown that most celiacs have little or no symptoms--latent celiac disease. This does not mean, however, that they do not have the disease, nor does it mean that these people will avoid any of its risks or associated disorders. What likely happens is that your intestines heal, which may take months or years depending on many factors, and you are able to tolerate many things better, including gluten. Unfortunately it has been shown that when celiacs eat even a small amount of gluten it can cause intestinal damage very quickly--so if it took you a year to get better, it might take only a month to reverse or wipe out that one year of healing. Again, your cancer risk and risk of many other complications also goes up when you eat gluten, so I highly recommend that you avoid it. You might find this interesting:

How much gluten is in a normal diet, and how much does it take to cause damage in a celiac?

Take care,

Scott

bluejeangirl Contributor

I cheat with donuts once in a while, since they don't gluten me...and you can't beat the TEXTURE!!!!!!mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

My mom encourages me to eat them.

My doctor doesn't have a clue about celiac, so no chiding from him, either.

A few less villi...haha I do it accidentally, why not on purpose from time to time?

[/quote

They may use cake flour which is alot less glutenous then pasta flours. Its to create a lighter texture otherwise it would be tougher. If my memory serves me its the hard winter wheat that has the most gluten.

gail

DingoGirl Enthusiast

thank you Scott for that information. It's just been really puzzling me, because a SMALL amount of gluten (a CC or product made on shared equipment) has made me SO sick, and then this did nothing at all, not even brain fog or depression or any type of body ache....nothing.

Interesting also about the flour used in donuts. Maybe I should have cheated with my mom's oatmeal cookies.....

I don't plan to do it again!

and love your poison oak stories....my own grandfather ended up in hospital in his thirties - it was EVERYWHERE....... :o

Rusla Enthusiast

Sure, what's a bit of cheating here or there. What's a little damage to your villi. What's a bit of cancer here or there. So what if you have to walk around with you BM's in a bag via cather it is worth the donuts.

Not for me and never will be, therefore I will not intentionally cheat, ever. I feel it is bad enough when it happens accidentally. This is my take on cheating and for me cheating is not worth the consequences.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Sure, what's a bit of cheating here or there. What's a little damage to your villi. What's a bit of cancer here or there. So what if you have to walk around with you BM's in a bag via cather it is worth the donuts.

Rusla.....there have been days in the last two years when I was so despondent, so flattened with physical and mental depression and the complete loss of the will to live, that I would have been overjoyed to have a diagnosis of cancer....and not treated it. :( this time last year - that was how I was.

so I look to the past to remind myself that things are not nearly as bad.....and I do thank God for that. All of the people on this forum have been such an encouragement as well.

Monday - donut day - - that was an AWFUL day......hence the "what will happen" and who cares? mentality.

dlp252 Apprentice

Hang in there Susan, you're not alone here!

jerseyangel Proficient

Yep Susan--remember, you always have us :)

Rusla Enthusiast

Susan,

Depression is a way of life for me, even worse with gluten and eggs. Just when I get an urge to cheat I think about the things I mentioned and really don't need cancer to throw into the pile. I also think about my pain and my leper face. Yes, I know not everyone has that ability or can combat the urge of gluten when it is everywhere.

How many times in my life I was so depressed that I ate a whole chocolate cake or box of donuts (and I am not that fond of donuts). How many times have I thought of tossing myself off a bridge but the fear of heights and fish flipping about in my underwear stopped me. How many times have I thought of driving my car into a cement abutment, many but I stop myself.

When I think about cheating, I think of everything I have said to do with cancer and everything else. I sit down and write. I write about my hate for the disease, places, doctors and people who don't get it and can't think outside of the wheat box. I write because, well that is what i do and for those who writing is not an occupational thing it can still be cathartic, it is for me also.

If writing doesn't stop you then maybe chasing dingos will or vice versa. The thing is to find something that will not damage your health any further. Something you can do that will take care of the depression and want of gluten. I do some of my best writing when I am depressed. How about kick boxing, I so want to go back to that but I still lack energy. I notice the accidental glutenings suck all the life out of me.

We are all rowing this boat together and some days it feels like we only have one oar in the water and are just going in circles, other days it feels like we have a big hole in it but we are still in it together. I just hate to see someone suffer because they deluded themselves into thinking nothing will happen if they don't see some outward signs of it.

Gluten is like a drug. It is like being addicted to cocaine, you crave your drug of choice, it will do damage to your body, mind and soul. Gluten for us is just like that, we should all be going to Gluten Addicts Anonymous.

The thing is some people cheat all the time thinking, no one will know but their body knows and they are only cheating themselves but then that is also their perogative.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Thank you, Rusla, for sharing that so eloquently, sounds like you've really been there. And NO, we DO NOT need cancer on top of everythign else! :huh:

TriticusToxicum Explorer

Susan - The moment you mentioned your poison oak "what will happen" experiment I instantly thought of this. And as luck would have it YouTube Obliged!

Open Original Shared Link :P

Lisa Mentor
Susan - The moment you mentioned your poison oak "what will happen" experiment I instantly thought of this. And as luck would have it YouTube Obliged!

Open Original Shared Link :P

Richard:

Beautiful chick and glorious babe (in whatever order), how did you make that happen? :P

L

CarlaB Enthusiast
Richard:

Beautiful chick and glorious babe (in whatever order), how did you make that happen? :P

L

It's his sister. :lol:

Archived