Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bmzob

Graham Cracker Crumbs?

Does anyone have any suggestions for gluten-free graham cracker crumbs? because for christmas my family always makes these reese balls....peanut butter and graham cracker crumbs rolled together and then dipped in chocolate. these are my absolute favorites and i don't know what i'm gonna do come christmas if i can't have these?! thanks....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Britni

~Diagnosed with idiopathic autoimmune chronic hepatitus at age 7 (1992)

off medication and in remission since 2002

~Diagnosed with ulcerative colitus age 10 (1995)

on medication under control

~Diagnosed with Celiac's disease age 21, no symptoms (August 10, 2006)

been gluten free since September 6, 2006

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I would try smashing up gluten-free cookies (shortbread) and using the crumbs.

Courtney - 25

Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006

Casein-free since October 16, 2006

Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.

Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006

Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993

Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06

Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

I made ginger cookies that ended up being way too crumbly, so I just crumbled them all up and they are in the freezer awaiting that very thing you mentioned.

IT was a mix from Grandma Ferndons. I think it was actually ginger snaps

Health Valley makes a rice bran graham style cracker and it tastes very similar to a graham cracker, only they are much harder. But smashed up as crumbs they would work fine. You just need to smash them very fine, or grind them in a food processor or grinder. I buy them at Whole Foods.

You can also get them online at the Gluten Free Pantry and other stores:

http://www.gluten free.com/glu/showdetl.cfm...742&CATID=1

~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

Health Valley makes a rice bran graham style cracker and it tastes very similar to a graham cracker, only they are much harder. But smashed up as crumbs they would work fine. You just need to smash them very fine, or grind them in a food processor or grinder. I buy them at Whole Foods.

THOSE are really good!!! I forgot about them!!! Great Idea!!!

It is possible to make your own cramb crackers. My grandma makes gluten free graham crackers for herself and one of her granddaughters. I tasted them and they were pretty good. She had used them in a cheese cake crust.

Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.

Does anyone have any suggestions for gluten-free graham cracker crumbs? because for christmas my family always makes these reese balls....peanut butter and graham cracker crumbs rolled together and then dipped in chocolate. these are my absolute favorites and i don't know what i'm gonna do come christmas if i can't have these?! thanks....

I've used teff flour (available from Bob's Red Mill and also from the Teff Company) for apple pies and also pumpkin pie. The consistency of the pie crust is a little bit like a graham craker crumb base.

It might work to bake an unfilled pie crust (made from teff flour) and then crumble it.

Has anyone ever tried doing this?

Suzie

Suzie

London, ON, Canada

celiac disease diagnosed by pos tTG March 2006 and pos biopsy June 2006

It is possible to make your own cramb crackers. My grandma makes gluten free graham crackers for herself and one of her granddaughters. I tasted them and they were pretty good. She had used them in a cheese cake crust.

is there any way you could get the recipe for the graham crackers for me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Britni

~Diagnosed with idiopathic autoimmune chronic hepatitus at age 7 (1992)

off medication and in remission since 2002

~Diagnosed with ulcerative colitus age 10 (1995)

on medication under control

~Diagnosed with Celiac's disease age 21, no symptoms (August 10, 2006)

been gluten free since September 6, 2006

I've used the envirokids vanilla gluten free animal cookies for things like cheese cake crust... they are very tasty, I'd try them.

Glad to see this posted!! My 4 year old has been begging me to make him cheese cake for Thanksgiving and I was wondering about the crust! Thanks for the ideas!! :D

Mom to:

Riley 8 -Tourettes, OCD, ADHD

Cooper 6 -Celiac dx'ed Dec. 2005

Jake 4- Resolved Verbal Apraxia, Coordination disorder and Sensory Integration Disorder

Sutton 3- Speech issues and sensory integration disorder

Graham Crackers

Ingredients:

¾ Cup margarine

½ Cup honey

1 Cup brown sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

1 ½ cups brown rice flour

1 ½ cups gluten free flour

2 Tbs. soy flour

1 tsp. xanthan

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. cinnamon

3 tsp. baking powder

½-¾ Cups water

Ingredients:

Mix honey, margarine, brown sugar and vanilla. In another bowl mix dry ingredients, stir in alternately with water till soft ball. Fefriderate for 1 hour or more. Roll 1.2 of the dough on parchment paper, shape to fit jelly roll pan. Transfer to pan, cut into three inch squares and poke holes in the dough with a fork. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes. Then repeat with second half of dough. Cool. You can make into crumbs and make graham cracker crumb pie crust.

Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.