Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IrishKelly

Tender Abdominal Area After Being Glutened?

Does anyone ever get a tender lower tummy, like in the lower abdominal area, after being glutened? Is it from gas or something? I wonder what i should take...or maybe i should wait a couple of days to see how long it lasts... <_< ... This has happened many times before but i accidentally glutened myself on thursday so i'm pretty sure it's from that, however, i ate lots of ener-g bread and english muffins yesterday so maybe it's from that? Oh, i'm so tired of being a food spy :ph34r: .

Gluten Free...negative blood results...absolutely positive diet results.

Dairy Free...absolutely positive diet results.

Egg Free...there goes another one...absolutely positive diet results.

Allergic to Codeine.

"Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which ones may have gluten in them:)"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I know when I get glutened, after the intensity of the excrutiating pain finally goes away, I am very tender and raw for a few days afterward......

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Yes, I get tender, bloated, gassy and very uncomfortable and full-feeling. Also, if you are backed up at all, that could contribute (I know most of us mostly get diarrhea, but I do occasionally also get constipation too, which always makes my tummy tender).

*Gluten free since 7/06

*Cutting down on soy and dairy since 9/06

Yes, typical for me as well. A tenderness is a good way to put it. I think that the inflammation caused by the gluten reaction will cause that. Then 2-3 day of mild constipation.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

My tummy gets veeery tender when I get glutened (which I did yesterday, so I'm all grumpy).

My abdomen has ALWAYS been so tender, for most of my life I couldn't wear a belt properly. I always felt sick. After going gluten-free that has not been the case.

Ryan (my hubby) also seems to have this symptom. I'm not sure what it is, but I hate it!

Does anyone ever get a tender lower tummy, like in the lower abdominal area, after being glutened? Is it from gas or something? I wonder what i should take...or maybe i should wait a couple of days to see how long it lasts... <_< ... This has happened many times before but i accidentally glutened myself on thursday so i'm pretty sure it's from that, however, i ate lots of ener-g bread and english muffins yesterday so maybe it's from that? Oh, i'm so tired of being a food spy :ph34r: .

Dear IrishKelly,

Yep I get that way. I get really bloated, too. The pain in my colon is usually really bad. It seems to be gas. I also get unbearable acid reflux if I have been glutened.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

Hhmmmm...i tried a Gas X and it did seem to help, it got about 60-70 percent better ;)

Allergic to Codeine.

"Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which ones may have gluten in them:)"

My lower tummy gets very tender when I get glutened. Usually, I will end up unbuttoning my pants during the day! It get so tender that even walking hurts (the pounding of my feet vibrating up to the belly)...

Hope you feel better soon..I know it stinks :(

Megan

Diagnosed Celiac in Feb 2004

Boston, MA

My lower tummy gets very tender when I get glutened. Usually, I will end up unbuttoning my pants during the day! It get so tender that even walking hurts (the pounding of my feet vibrating up to the belly)...

Hope you feel better soon..I know it stinks :(

Yep, that's exactly what it feels like!

Allergic to Codeine.

Guest Viola

The pain or tenderness is the illium. It's a small pocket at the end of the small intestine. When we get gluten it allows food to pass in larger particles than normal and gets caught up in the illium. So you are very tender until this breaks down and moves on.

That's how I feel but its been 4 days since the Glutening. Is that still correct?

My abdomen has ALWAYS been so tender, for most of my life I couldn't wear a belt properly. I always felt sick. After going gluten-free that has not been the case.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

That's how I feel but its been 4 days since the Glutening. Is that still correct?

I am 4 weeks from the glutening and my belly still is tender. The D just went away for the first time in four weeks and now I am constipated. Go figure.

The pain or tenderness is the illium. It's a small pocket at the end of the small intestine. When we get gluten it allows food to pass in larger particles than normal and gets caught up in the illium. So you are very tender until this breaks down and moves on.

OUCH!! :blink:

Yep...of course now it's been 6 days and i feel much better...but i can tell i'm definitely still recovering.

Allergic to Codeine.