Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blueangel68

Help, Can I Eat...

hello, ive asked my dietian this twice and i didnt get a straight answer out of her. i was wondering if "wheat starch' and "marshmellows" are allowed.

a straight yes or no would b appreciated.

live life how U want to,

NOT for anybody else!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Marshmallows - Depends on the brand. In the US, we have Kraft, who will disclose any allergen, so if no gluten is listed, it's fine. Do you have some brand names that someone may have some info on?

Wheat starch - Not gluten-free. I have heard that in Europe it's considered gluten-free. But Americans visiting Europe for a celiac convention of some sort reacted to gluten-free food that had wheat starch. So it's hard to say whether the wheat starch itself is gluten-free. Maybe the wheat starch in the US is contaminated? Maybe the regulations in Europe aren't strong enough? It's difficult to say. Most people on here avoid it completely. I know I had a really bad reaction to something that only had wheat starch as a possible gluten source, with some of the symptoms being things I don't normally get from being glutened.

Dieticians, as well as health food store workers, although truly well-meaning, are sometimes misinformed, and some even will tell you that sprouted wheat, wheatgrass, spelt and kamut are gluten free. Which they aren't.

It's a learning process. My experience is that the people on this board are the most well-informed celiacs on the planet.

B)

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

In New Zealand I buy the Mr Mallows marshmallow, it says on the bag they are gluten free. I think New World and Pack and save have them. For sure New World has them, they are yummy, and cause no problem for me. I haven't tried any other marsmallows and probably won't.

Hope you find them

Catherine.