Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I bought my son Amy's Lasagna this weekend. It says on the box that it is not made with gluten ingredients. But under the ingredients there is an allergy warning stating that the product was made in a facility that also makes wheat (among other allergins) products. Doesn't that then mean it is not guaranteed to be safe?

Nicole

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest cassidy

Yup, that is exactly what it means. There could be cc from something in the plant or some ingredients from their suppliers that they can't verify. I contacted them several times because I love their products and used to eat them all the time until I got sick. They said they can't guarantee cc isn't an issue. I have stopped eating everything because it isn't worth the risk. Some people still eat their stuff and they don't get sick from it.

This is going to be one of those areas that you have to decide for yourself. I usually decide wether or not to eat something that is made in the same facility based on the company. I know that Amy's tries very hard to reduce cc (cleaning lines however, it does not always work) and so I will eat their food. Other companies that I am not familar with I tend not to eat the products where a facility is shared.

Hez

I also eat Amy's quite often (a real treat to have something in the freezer ready to go). I've routinely eaten Amy's mac & cheese, rice pizza and Mexican bowl without problems. I've also wondered why I don't see more mention of her products here. Maybe we need to recognize that some of us are more sensitive than others. Maybe cc will get me down the line, but my goodness, so might the global situation or the local crosswalk. Eat it and if you feel okay, go stock up!!

Also FYI, their Rice Crust pizza and Mac 'n Cheese are produced in a dedicated facility. I have reacted to their other products. They are a very aware and responsible company, IMO, which is why they changed their labeling.

Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.

Albert Careb

36_35_6[1].gif

Also FYI, their Rice Crust pizza and Mac 'n Cheese are produced in a dedicated facility. I have reacted to their other products. They are a very aware and responsible company, IMO, which is why they changed their labeling.

So if I have two cans of the same product, one that says gluten free and one that says made in a facility... is that just a change in labeling and both should be considered made in a facility?

Gluten-Free since February 2006

So if I have two cans of the same product, one that says gluten free and one that says made in a facility... is that just a change in labeling and both should be considered made in a facility?

Yes, I would think you have an old can and a new one. But the cc would be the same. IMO.

Hez