Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bonnieboo

Thyroid Resistant?

My endo has long claimed I am "thyroid resistant" which apparently doesn't require medication, but makes my b/w come back odd. I don't even know wtf that particular diagnosis means. Do you? Could it be related to undiagnosed/untreated celiac?

TIA!

b

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

He may be referring to euthyroid sick syndrome:

There is a condition called euthyroid sick syndrome - it occurs when someone is sick - usually an inflammatory condition (like celiac, or viral illnesses like influenza, etc.) The TSH will be elevated and T4 levels low - during the illness and for a time afterward, or in an undiagnosed celiac, until gluten is eliminated. Then levels return to normal once the condition has passed or is treated. One of the reasons influenza can result in fatigue for several weeks afterward.

The term "sick euthyroid syndrome" refers to abnormalities in thyroid function that occur in patients with serious illness not caused by primary thyroid or pituitary dysfunction. The syndrome is very common and, in fact, may be found in up to 70% of hospitalized patients (1). Evidence suggests that these patients may not really be euthyroid, especially at the tissue level (2).

Abnormal thyroid hormone levels have been described in the presence of heart failure, chronic renal failure, liver disease, stress, starvation, surgery, trauma, infections, and autoimmune diseases, as well as with use of a number of drugs (table 1). It is not clear whether hormone changes reflect a protective response in the face of serious illness or a maladaptive process that needs to be corrected. However, thyroid function generally returns to normal when the nonthyroidal illness is resolved.

http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/1999/04_99/camacho.htm

Also check out the thread at http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=26590

Under Related Disorders and Research

Title of thread: Thryoid came back to normal after gluten free diet

Sandy

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

Bonnie, I would get a copy of my lab results and post to a few web forums to make sure this Endo knows what he is talking about. Do you feel Hypo ? How are you temps ? Hair, fatigue etc

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!