Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have lost the thread I was reading but basically - are M & Ms safe ? In Australia the packet says 'wheat starch'. I thought that wheat starch was NOT OK. ?????? Do USA M&Ms have wheat starch ?

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I know that Canadian M&Ms DO NOT have wheat starch! I certainly wouldn't eat them if they did. Both M&M chocolates and peanuts are gluten free in Canada. :o:P

Shirley

[save the Earth, It's the only planet with chocolate and wine.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...

It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Gluten free since 1989

West Kootenay.... British Columbia

Georgie, Shirley's right. Wheat starch is a no-no, but in CANADA they are gluten-free.

I think it's important for members to remember this is an international forum, and to be careful when mentioning which products are gluten-free to state the country as well.

A perfect example is Lea & Perrins worcestershire sauce. It's gluten-free in the U.S., but contains malt vinegar in Canada and the U.K.

Also, Smarties in Canada are a candy coated chocolate that contain wheat flour, but in the U.S. Smarties are a round sugary candy similar to Canadian "Rockets".

All things are not created equal.

(Stepping off my soapbox now. :P )

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

NO M&Ms :( :( :( I was starting to get excited until I checked the packet. Can you guys send me over food parcels :lol: :lol: :lol:

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

NO M&Ms :( :( :( I was starting to get excited until I checked the packet. Can you guys send me over food parcels :lol: :lol: :lol:

Poor you :( I just had a handful for lunch dessert. How about moving to Canada :D

Shirley

[save the Earth, It's the only planet with chocolate and wine.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...

It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Gluten free since 1989

West Kootenay.... British Columbia

In the United States we have one kind of M&M's that are not gluten-free, so, maybe in Australia you do, too, Georgie.

In the United States we have one kind of M&M's that are not gluten-free, so, maybe in Australia you do, too, Georgie.

Hmmmm??.......Oh, yeah, the crunchy ones. Forgot about those.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

I looked at all 3 varieties - milk, regular and peanut. They all have wheat starch.

Perhaps I need to emigrate :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess if anyone visits Australia, they'll have to bring you a suitcase full of M & Ms.

Tapioca intolerant

First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease

Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.

Gluten-free since June 2005

Dx with IBS February 2005

Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

:lol: :lol: :lol: You you imagine the look on Customs face when he looks in the bag !!

Don't know if you can bring food into Australia. :( I have a friend coming over in September and she may try for me. But ....thats still 8 months without M&Ms !!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: You you imagine the look on Customs face when he looks in the bag !!

Don't know if you can bring food into Australia. :( I have a friend coming over in September and she may try for me. But ....thats still 8 months without M&Ms !!!

You never know these days. They might think M & Ms are dangerous! LOL

Eight months... good luck.

Tapioca intolerant

First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease

Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.

Gluten-free since June 2005

Dx with IBS February 2005

Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)