Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mtndog

Pernicious Anemia

I was recently told I am anemic and I'm wondering if it's pernicious anemia. I know that for the last month (after a really harsh glutening) I have been having some of the symptoms I had before I went gluten-free like the tarry stools, nausea, muscle pain and spasms, numbness and tingling and I'm wondering if if may be this.

And if so, how is it traeted? b12 shots? Anemia confuses me because i always thought it was low iron so anyone willing to educate me, please explain! Thanks, B

Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.

Albert Careb

36_35_6[1].gif

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What kind of anemia did the doctor say you have? There are many different forms. I am assuming it was diagnosed through blood work?

True pernicious anemia is caused by the body not producing something called the intrinsic factor. The intrinsic factor is what allows the body to absorb and utilize B12 from our guts. Many celiacs because of the damage done to the intestines are also unable to absorb the vitamin from food or supplements and are low in B12. It is not exactly the same thing but the effects are the same.

For many the use of sublingual B12 is enough to get relief. The sublingual tabs dissolve under the tongue and are absorbed by the mucous membranes into the blood stream. This can be a very effective way of bringing levels up quickly. Some folks choose to get injections, my Mom did for years, but for some the oral method works well. I had relief, even pregluten free, from 'tingles' in under a week with the sub tabs

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

What kind of anemia did the doctor say you have? There are many different forms. I am assuming it was diagnosed through blood work?

True pernicious anemia is caused by the body not producing something called the intrinsic factor. The intrinsic factor is what allows the body to absorb and utilize B12 from our guts. Many celiacs because of the damage done to the intestines are also unable to absorb the vitamin from food or supplements and are low in B12. It is not exactly the same thing but the effects are the same.

For many the use of sublingual B12 is enough to get relief. The sublingual tabs dissolve under the tongue and are absorbed by the mucous membranes into the blood stream. This can be a very effective way of bringing levels up quickly. Some folks choose to get injections, my Mom did for years, but for some the oral method works well. I had relief, even pregluten free, from 'tingles' in under a week with the sub tabs

They actually didn't say what kind of anemia- I didn't realize there were different types. thanks for the info. I was looking over my labs and it looks like B12 and iron.

Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

Albert Careb

36_35_6[1].gif

They actually didn't say what kind of anemia- I didn't realize there were different types. thanks for the info. I was looking over my labs and it looks like B12 and iron.

You might want to find out if it is pernicious anemia or not. If so, you will need B12 for life. I have pernicious anemia. I used to give myself weekly shots. I stopped doing that b/c I developed bad bruises and scar tissue. I started using the sublingual tab (from GNC).

If you do not have pernicious anemia, then you can use over the counter Iron or B12 tablets. (They would not have to be sublingual). The only reason people with pernicious anemia need the shots or sublingual is because they can not absorb the B12 through the stomach lining. Otherwise, regular Iron pills or B12 pills would be fine.

Hope you figure out what kind of anemia you have! :)

EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes

DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005

Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.

THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

I too have pernicious anemia. And will give my self monthly injections for the rest of my life. I was diagnosed through the "Shillings" test. Don't know if they use that anymore.

You can be anemic, due to poor absorption. I do not have that problem. I lack intrensic factor. Pernicious Anemia is an autoimmune disease.

Rheumatic fever at age 5 and again at age 6. Antibiotics for 6 years to prevent strep throat.

Anemia, Mono, Hepititis, Pernicious Anemia, Enlarged Heart, Osteopenia, Vitamin D deficiency, Ataxia, Digestive issues, reactive hypoglycemia, and on and on and on!

Following the SCD diet after gluten free didn't solve symptoms. Much better and getting back my life!

Thanks for all the info everyone!

Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

Albert Careb

36_35_6[1].gif