Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mich

Just Started Gluten Free Diet And Feeling Worse

First a little history,

I had the blood test and it came back negative for Celiac My doctor thinks I still have Celiac and wants me to go gluten free. I see this doctor for a vitamin d deficiency. I currently take very high doses (100,000 miligrams a week) to keep my d levels at normal. That is really my only symptom except I have a long history of stomach problems and nausua. I was treated for H. Pylori and gastritis in 2000 and had a long recovery from that for my gut to heal. I find that whole grains do not agree with my stomach, but it includes brown rice as well as gluten products. I also have problems with egg and dairy. BMs are never a problem.

Well, I started the gluten free diet on Friday and my stomach is killing me worse than before! It is a clenching feeling. Normally I feel a little irritation in my stomach, this feeling is more intense like gastritis. I am eating a lot trying to sooth my stomach. Was the gluten actually soothing my upset stomach? Is my problem really Celiac?

BTW: the doctor recommending the gluten free diet and that has me on the vitamin d is my gynocologist. My primary physician has done nothing for me despite my complaint of chronic digestive problems.

Thanks for the help.

-M

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Stay with it Mich, you may feel this way for a bit, but it should get better. Your body has to rid itself of all the gluten poisons in it now. Use a heating pad and look forward to feeling better, ok!

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

The only thing I can add at this point, is that vitamin D isn't measured in milligrams, so I think the amount you describe would be truly excessive if not deadly.

It is quite possible to overdose on many nutrients, including vitamin D. Since the body stores vitamin D for later use, I personally find it difficult to accept the idea that your level would continue to be low for very long after starting the injections. I may be wrong though, as I'm certainly not the expert on this. I do know that many nutrients play a role in the absorption of others, so it would not surprise me if something else is causing the vitamin D to not be utilized.

Many Celiacs find they need B vitamins. B12 in particular, and some minerals such as magnesium, and calcium. Apparently this may or may not show up on blood tests.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Thanks for the responses.

I was wrong to say miligrams, the prescription bottle actually says "units" so I am unsure what I take. And they are not injections, just pills. My levels are actually now normal, but because I take prescription d. If I go off the prescription or take less, my levels shoot down and I have muscle pain. I was tested for calcium at one point and that was normal, but I take a calcium supplement too.

My stomach feels much much better a week on the diet. :D Maybe the initial pain at the start was stomach damage that needed to heal a bit. I still am ravonously hungry though.