Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ginap73

How Long Does It Take?

How long does it take for symptoms to start going away once you become gluten free?

I am on day 2 and feeling much much better although symptoms are not completely gone.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

As little as a day or two, and as long as several months. A lot of people see gradual improvement over the course of a year or so. You'll have ups and downs as you get used to the diet because mistakes are inevitable and your body is also adjusting, but you should continue to see improvement.

I had most of my symptoms go away within a couple weeks. Then there were other symptoms, a few of which I never thought were gluten-related, went away slowly after about a year.

For example, I used to get allergies. This year, allergies are really bad around here, and lots of people who "don't have allergies" are having an awful time with them. I'm totally fine. Very odd.

But yea, feeling a difference after just a day or two is common.

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

I did really well and after three months did bloodwork and it was great. Now I am again having bowel symptoms. I am thinking that I am more sensitive to contaminant gluten. Changed one medication(the drug company couldnt guarantee that the med was gluten free). I was diagnosed last march and feel much better now. I am eating more healthy and have gained 18lbs. I was too thin before but wish I would stop gaining weight.

I have been gluten-free for 5 or 6 weeks. I noticed a big difference within 2 days in these areas: fatigue, "brain fog", headaches and GI urgency. Itchy elbows have slowly gotten better. GI is still improving. My Celiac son had positive behavioral response in about a week.

Be warned. I felt great--walking on sunshine--during the first week, and I was still eating quite a few processed foods like chips, etc. After two or three weeks on the diet, I started getting some symptoms back--tiredness, headaches, mouth sores, GI pain (pain was new for me), etc. I felt like crying, like my new-found "health" was going to slip away again. I pretty quickly found out that:

a.) I had somehow become very sensitive to cross contamination...for example, if I eat a baked potato, I have zero issues, but if I eat potato chips, I get gluten symptoms. The potato chips are made on lines with wheat-containing products. It does not make sense that I have become that sensitive, but I have.

b.) I think going gluten-free somehow unmasked another food intolerance--to corn or soy (I'm still figuring it out).

So, don't get discouraged if you start to have symptoms in another couple of weeks. If you do, just start looking at what you're eating.

my family doesnt believe me when i say my gluten free bread can get cross contaminated in the toaster. my mother, is sensitive to this. and told me to get a toaster of my own, but my aunt doesnt believe it's possible to cross contaminate and get sick from crumbs.

my family doesnt believe me when i say my gluten free bread can get cross contaminated in the toaster. my mother, is sensitive to this. and told me to get a toaster of my own, but my aunt doesnt believe it's possible to cross contaminate and get sick from crumbs.

Dear ginap73,

My parents are like that. They just think I am paranoid. It is so annoying! It is not them who gets violently ill when they get a microscopic amount of the crap in their system. Their opinion does not count for that reason!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville