This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Has My Dog Had A Stroke?

DingoGirl

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Milo thinks that Stinker is a VERY pricey dingo! ha However, he also says that I would do the same for him. Cause they are our "babies".

Well Milo is right, PRICEY DINGO INDEED!!!! Can you believe it? :o Lots of money for a pound pup.....I must hunt down and find the "visa" commercial I wrote several years ago....you know, the "priceless" ones - - everyone loved it and you guys will too. :)

UNBELIEVABLE price!!! :angry::o

I hope Tika does well on the antibiotics and that that will be all she needs.

Well I know, ME TOO!!!! WE don't want to shell out any more money than we have to....holy cow! AND - mommy has to take the dingo transport (the Jeep - - aka "kennel on wheels") to the shop tomorrow or no one is going anywhere!!!

Harrumph!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor
WE don't want to shell out any more money than we have to....holy cow! AND - mommy has to take the dingo transport (the Jeep - - aka "kennel on wheels") to the shop tomorrow or no one is going anywhere!!!

It's dangerous to take dingo transports to the shop too. :blink:

psawyer Proficient

Susie, I'm glad to hear that she is still with you and will be okay. Our pets are like children to us, especially to those of us who do not have human children. My thoughts are with you tonight.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Susie, I'm glad to hear that she is still with you and will be okay. Our pets are like children to us, especially to those of us who do not have human children. My thoughts are with you tonight.

Thank you Peter, and Lordy, isn't that right. A single girl with her dogs - - pathological, dysfunctional attachment. :ph34r::P

I love cats, too, and there will be one in our future when Stinker goes. :)

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Glad to hear that she's okay. Not so glad to hear what the vet charged, but we're in the same boat with you there (diabetic kitty, bloodwork every month at the cost of $100, and the first diagnostic visit was $500 :ph34r: ).

BTW, I assume they are checking for diabetes? Our cat has major hind foot problems, which we are told is diabetic neuropathy. Apparently, he can't feel his hind feet, so he walks on his--what do you call them in cats, elbows? And it does make him look intoxicated. Sounds funny on tile floors, too, as he kind of slaps them down on the floor as he walks.

And some of those of us with two-legged children DO think of our pets as children!! They're just furry and have more legs and a tail (and they don't go to school).

DingoGirl Enthusiast
BTW, I assume they are checking for diabetes? Our cat has major hind foot problems, which we are told is diabetic neuropathy. Apparently, he can't feel his hind feet, so he walks on his--what do you call them in cats, elbows? And it does make him look intoxicated. Sounds funny on tile floors, too, as he kind of slaps them down on the floor as he walks.

:o What?? didn't know about those symptoms! I assume she WILL be checking, since she got a urine sample and blood tests..... T has been tested for Diabetes before but was found to be slightly Cushinoid instead - - - somehow it resolved itself, but honestly I can't even remember, she has been to the vet SO many times. But after chemo, she was kind of messed up for a while.

The insulin - that must be such a pain......but aren't these pets lucky to have us as owners? ah, the life they lead.......

I'll let you know on that! ;)

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Susan....I made it to your thread!!! Was worried about you and Tika all day. :(

Wow...that vet is EXPENSIVE! :blink:

But yes, they are our babies and worth every cent. ;)

I had to pay over $1000 for Bear about a year and a half ago. He had a big lump on his back. I had them remove it and prayed and prayed that it wasnt cancerous or anything bad. It was a benign tumor and he is now lump-free. :)

I hope Tika remains free of pain and happy. :wub:

Let us know when those results come in.

and....wheres that "visa" commercial??? :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elye Community Regular

Way to go, Susan! We were all pulling for Stinker. :):)

My big guy Gus is treated just like a third child--but he listens much better... :rolleyes:

jerseyangel Proficient
My big guy Gus is treated just like a third child--but he listens much better... :rolleyes:

:D I always refer to Allo as my third son! But he dosen't listen any better than the others! :lol:

The insulin - that must be such a pain......

Naah, it's not nearly as bad as I expected. Tigger gets insulin twice a day, and he's an absolute angel while I do it. He just sits there and purrs. If I hit a nerve, he does jump, but I'm learning to avoid the tender places. The vet trained me how to do it on a toy doggie with a saline-filled syringe, and it's very easy.

The pain in the arse part is remembering to feed him 20 minutes before. That and the expense--it's special bovine insulin developed especially for cats, and it's $55 for a tiny 5 ml bottle that will last only a few weeks.

dlp252 Apprentice

I had to give my second dog Chip insulin shots twice a day...you're right, it really wasn't that bad, and while I'm sure she didn't LOVE getting them, she really didn't seem to mind much.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

(((Hugs))) to you and Stinker. I hope the antibiotics work for her.

elye Community Regular

Wow, I've been a type one diabetic most of my life, and I know how hard it is dealing with my own insulin reactions...how on earth do you keep an eye on a hypoglycemic pet (particularly a cat)? I suppose you must just constantly be watching them for symptoms...but they can't say (like I can, to my husband/child) "whoa! Do I need sugar! Grab me some juice!" And goodness, I have outdoor cats--if they had serious hypoglycemia out of the house...I can't imagine. I admire all of you who have taken on the care of a diabetic pet. Kids are tough enough!

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast
:D I always refer to Allo as my third son! But he dosen't listen any better than the others! :lol:

Patti: My little Destiny and my protector Lucky are the same way. Destiny gives me this look that says, "Are you talking to ME????" ;)

Susie -- I'm so glad everything is okay. Destiny had a stroke YEARS ago when she went on a hunger strike. I was feeding her table food, and the vet said to switch to dog food. She turned her nose up to it for days . . . . . I was told that, when she got hungry enough, she would eat it. WRONG. She continued not to eat it, and her liver enzymes elevated to the point that she had a stroke. The vet said that it was because of her hunger strike. That picture of her that I had as my avatar with her little tongue hanging out??? That was the result of the stroke. Talk about one stubbon teacup. Must take after me!!!!! :lol:

2kids4me Contributor

HI guys, I am back from a 4 day trip to a godchilds confirmation....850 kms one way! Was tricky to keep gluten away from kids as the relative's place we stayed at was LOADED with gluten. Only rice they have is minute rice (is that a real food?). I brought loads of gluten-free options - ceral, homemade muffins and bread. To their credit, they had bought butter to be used only by my kids, and they lectured their own kids on not handling gluiten anywher near where I prepped the kids stuff. Lots of fresh fruit and veggies though.

ok so I am anxious to hear ....how is Tika doing? AND Susan too? !

re: diabetic cats - they are managed on long acting insulin and do very well. For any owners with diabetic cats - ask your doctors about home monitoring....much cheaper!! With a little guidance you can test the blood sugar at home. We use a small gauge needle and do pin pricks on the ear (near the top) ...most cats tolerate it well and it saves $$$ on visits to the vet. You may still need checkups of course but not as frequent.

A good site about this and many other questions re: diabetes and cats

Open Original Shared Link

and a site about how B12 helps cats with neuropathy:

Sandy

little d Enthusiast

ii can not imagine what you are going through I have a boxer Tank i recued from the pound 1 week before i broke my foot he is the best it would brake my haert to see him go through something like that

donna

HI guys, I am back from a 4 day trip to a godchilds confirmation....850 kms one way! Was tricky to keep gluten away from kids as the relative's place we stayed at was LOADED with gluten. Only rice they have is minute rice (is that a real food?). I brought loads of gluten-free options - ceral, homemade muffins and bread. To their credit, they had bought butter to be used only by my kids, and they lectured their own kids on not handling gluiten anywher near where I prepped the kids stuff. Lots of fresh fruit and veggies though.

ok so I am anxious to hear ....how is Tika doing? AND Susan too? !

re: diabetic cats - they are managed on long acting insulin and do very well. For any owners with diabetic cats - ask your doctors about home monitoring....much cheaper!! With a little guidance you can test the blood sugar at home. We use a small gauge needle and do pin pricks on the ear (near the top) ...most cats tolerate it well and it saves $$$ on visits to the vet. You may still need checkups of course but not as frequent.

A good site about this and many other questions re: diabetes and cats

and a site about how B12 helps cats with neuropathy:

Sandy

THANK YOU!!!!! Of course they don't mention that option at our vets .

Susie: how is the dingo doing? And you?

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Halooooooo everyone! Welcome back from the long weekend, and as alwyas, thanks for your concern. ;)

Stinker is doing MUCH better. She is still a little sideways, but not falling nearly as much. she is not enjoying the heat.....we went to my brother's last night, and she was ready to go after about 40 minutes (this is demonstated by a very carefully-cultivated and distinct STARE she has developed over the years......it is like a stare that SHOUTS at me and cannot be ignored. :huh::lol: )

I got the results of her bloodwork on Friday, and it showed that she has elevated liver enzyme (alkaline phosphatase, I think the vet said?) and the number was 566 - - I haven't researched this yet - Sandy will know. :) The vet threw out SO many things at me....I was frantically writing.....a lot of her numbers have to do with her age - she is nearly 13. She also has low thyroid - doctor was going to do a T4 test with the remainder of the blood. Stinker also has elevated micro albumin (showing possible renal situation, or Cushing's, yet she has, as I pointed out to my over-charging doctor, NO other symptoms of Cushing's - the hair loss, bloated tummy, etc.). Also, she is not diabetic, that is a relief.

she has been on antibiotics since Thursday, and that has helped her vestibular syndrom enormously. I will put her on Thyroid meds if necessary, but don't really want to do steroids.......

what I DO want to do is find a supplement or medication that will help with the arthritis in her back legs. My doctor mentioend something - - a word that sounded like "dairy max" but I don't know the actual word or spelling and can't find it in google search, and will NOT purchase it from this particular vet. :angry: Any ideas what this med could be? I'm trying to purchase things from a feed store or online, since this doctor is so freaking expensive.

Anywho, Stinker is just a tired old girl now, for the most part. She has cataracts, and some hearing loss - - she sleeps very deeply and is a little disoriented in the dark......

I just want her to be happy and comfy.

Please give hugs and kisses to your doggie and kitties, and tell them THANK YOU for pulling for the old girl! Stinker really appreciates it, and she does like hearing about your animals, she said to tell you. ;)

2kids4me Contributor

He may have said meloxicam (?) (metacam is one of the trade names). It is relatively safe - you start with a loading dose and then lower it...give it for 3 - 5 days then as needed. Each time you start up again - you need to give loading dose (if it has been more than a week since last dose). BUT it is hard on the stomach and should not be given if kidney function is in question. Has she ever responded to buffered aspirin? We often try that first...along with heat - from a magic bag or similar. Blankets heated in the dryer work too. We do NOT recommend heating pads because even on low heat - these ol dogs dont move much and often have minimal body fat.

The Alkaline Phosphatase results need to be looked at with consideration for age, and arthritis. Since arthritis affects bone....

Geriatric animals often have less than optimum results but no real pathology - just organs that dont work as well as they used to...

a good site for explaining bloodwork in animals:

Alkaline Phosphatase (alk phos) is produced by the liver and bone tissues. In young animals it mostly comes from the bone due to bone development. In older pets it is produced predominantly by the liver. When a vet is suspecting cholestasis (blockage of bile excretion) they are looking for a concentration of alkaline phosphatase. Alk phos can also be increased due to a metabolic defect in liver cells.

Katie says hello - she is still sleeping after 4 fun filled days playing at the kennel. She went for a walk this morning then promptly curled up in a happy ball on the couch and started dreaming / twitchin / vocalizing in her sleep

sandy

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Katie says hello - she is still sleeping after 4 fun filled days playing at the kennel. She went for a walk this morning then promptly curled up in a happy ball on the couch and started dreaming / twitchin / vocalizing in her sleep

sandy

:) HI Sandy, and Katie. Don't you love when they have that active dreaming state? Always looks like they're having fun.

I jsut got a call from the vet, and Stinker's thyroid is quite low. I feel so bad......so we are pickign up the meds today. this should make her much more comfortable.

As far as heat application goes - - - she is SO hot already - - I swear she pants when it's 60 degrees in the room. WE are goign to hit 100 degrees by this weekend - - - so I am just trying to keep her cool. The vet didn't say anything further about the kidney stuff - - we are just going with thyroid now. I think I'll research the glucosamine and condroitin supplements and put her on that also....

thanks for the site, will read that later! Sounds like you all had a good weekend - - glad you were able to keep the kids gluten-free, sounds a bit difficult in that situation!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

SUSIE AND STINKER..............HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD.

GLAD SHE TURNER THE CORNER AND MOM CAN STOP 'PANTING' HERSELF.RIGHT SUSIE :unsure::D:) GIVE STINKER A HUG FROM PA AND BAMBINO...HE'D DO IT HIMSELF BUT HE'S ASLEEP.

2kids4me Contributor

100 degrees!! Yikes....i guess us canadians dont know what a true heat wave is like....okay maybe a cool cloth ? :rolleyes:

I think I'll research the glucosamine and condroitin supplements and put her on that also....

Yes, we have had clients report good response to those supplements - takes a few weeks to see a difference but better than drugs!

I included a couple of sites on hypothyroidism in dogs..

Katie hopes the thyroid meds work well...

Katie woke up ...finally and wants to go walking, but first she has to visit with her kids who just got home for school...

sandy

Archived