Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

holiday16

Adjusting Medication?...

gluten free due to increased absorption, about how long after being gluten free did you have to do it? I've been having some problems lately and I'm beginning to wonder if it's because now that I'm absorbing more my med dose could be too high. I'm going to call the Drs. office tomorrow to ask and hopefully it's that simple since that's a very easy fix!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest j_mommy

I would say that it is a definate possibility that you would need to adjust meds!! You and your Dr may have to play with the dose for awhile to get the right amount especially if you're newly gluten-free!

Make sure that your meds are gluten-free though!

Looks like this was the problem. I had my meds adjusted and I am feeling so much better. Not sure yet what the final dose will be as I'm still playing with it, but it feels great to be lowering it for the first time in years. Great to know this diet is doing me good!

I had to reduce my Klonopin for myoclonus after 7 months on the diet. It was starting to make me feel completely drugged out during the day. I was too wiped out to hold my head up ... However, since I have been sick with CFS since 1990 and was accustomed to feeling dragged out and sleepy, if the Klonopin had become too strong any sooner than 7 months, I would have just chalked it up to CFS fatigue / drowsiness.

I slowly decreased this med since I had been taking it for 16 years and it is known to cause seizures if reduced too quickly. It took me 4 months to get off of .5 to 1.0 mg.

FWIW: My doctor did not want me to completely come off this med as she thought I had anxiety issues. :P But, I did it anyways ... It wasn't really anxiety. It was a jittery feeling I had been getting from gluten, corn, etc.

So far so good. I haven't had any since August 2006. I've had a few nites of jerking, but these episodes appear to be related to cross contamination with gluten.

Hope this helps ... marcia

Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)

August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...

July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)

Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)

September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.