Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoveBeingATwin

Do You Retry Foods That You Know Makes You Feel Blaw?

Ok..I have been just eating veggies, salads, meats and fruit and I feel great. Can't tell you the last time I have had D. Hope I don't jinks(sp?) myself! I HAVE been staying away from the dairy, eggs, corn, potatoes and grains because I usually feel sick. Diary & eggs give me the big D, corn makes me itch, grains and potatoes bloat me up so bad I look prego.

Well last night I tried a potatoe AGAIN. WOW! I was so bloated I could barely move. I don't know why I do this to myself, but sometimes I like to see if my system has changed and obviusly it hasn't. Will it ever? Good questions, but for now I will just stick to my veggies, fruits, salads and meats. Why does the grains and potatoes cause bloating?

I guess before I was diagnosed with celiac I could never tell which foods were causing my bloating, but now that I am gluten free, you can definitely tell. Just wanted to know if there were any others who try this and find out it doen't work. One good thing from being diagnosed is that I actually know what my body likes and dislikes. I listen to it now. I never used to. It actually feels good knowing that I can control my body and how it feels. Thanks for listening :)

~KIMBERLY~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I do occasionally if I'm not sure if it was the food or just a back stomach day. And I did the peanut test multiple times before finally giving in and giving it up. Once I know for sure a food is a problem I won't test myself anymore.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

... sometimes I like to see if my system has changed and obviusly it hasn't. Will it ever? Good questions, but for now I will just stick to my veggies, fruits, salads and meats. Why does the grains and potatoes cause bloating?

It sounds like u, like most of us, suffered from celiac for quite a while before getting it figured out and going gluten-free.

In most of these cases, the collateral damage on the battlefield of the gut is the intestinal walls, increasing the permeability. It's the well-known leaky-gut syndrome.

What happens is that partially digested food particles can now get thru and into the blood. There they are seen as foreign invaders and the immune system makes anti-bodies to attack them. It's why so many of us have problems w/ non-gluten foods. (Tho casein & lactose have different situations)

But the gut DOES repair while we stay gluten-free. And allegedly the other food sensitivities can go away, but shouldn't be tested sooner than 6mos to a year.

I too test occasionally but have so far just seen a reduction of symptoms - not elimination. I remain hopeful.

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07