Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bakinghomesteader

Flour Question

I'm new to all this. Could someone answer a question? Is potato flour the same as potato starch and is tapioca flour the same as tapioca starch?

Bakinghomesteader

homeschooling mom to 12 yr old son

helpmeet to wonderful husband of 13 yrs

dx Myasthenia Gravis 1998

Official Celiac dx 6/2008

Gluten Free since 6/5/07 (with the exception of 6 weeks and any cc)

Positive Enterolab Result 8/23/07

Positive bloodwork 6/2/08 after eating gluten for 6 weeks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, I believe they are the same.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

actually, potato starch and flour are NOT the same (very different), but tapioca flour/starch is the same. You can not substitute the potato starch for flour or vice versa. Most recipes I've seen actually use the starch (that's the only thing I"ve baked with, mixed with tapioca and rice flour).

ditto what dionnek said - potato starch and potato flour are very different. (one is made from raw potatoes, the other cooked. they behave *very* differently - one will give you glue.)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

ditto what dionnek said - potato starch and potato flour are very different. (one is made from raw potatoes, the other cooked. they behave *very* differently - one will give you glue.)

What I am finding is a package of "potato flour" and a package of "potato starch flour". I haven't found any just plain potato starch. What I'm told in the health food stores here is that the "potato starch flour" is "potato starch". Can anyone help me with this?

Your health food store is correct. Potato starch flour is the same as potato starch. Potato flour (minus the word starch) is the one that's different.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004