Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Karwei5

Celiac Disease And Gastritis

Have/did you have both Celiac disease and gastritis.

How was your recovery.

Did the gastritis make you recovery harder?

My son has both along with a moderate hiatal hernia.

He did get glutened about a month ago when he got into pretzels.

But I still have problems with him throwing up.

I can not consistently get him healthy and reliable to not throw up.

How was you experience?

Karol mom to Billy 19 years old Down syndrome, mitral valve regurgitation, hypothyroidism and Celaic disease.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Have/did you have both Celiac disease and gastritis.

How was your recovery.

Did the gastritis make you recovery harder?

My son has both along with a moderate hiatal hernia.

He did get glutened about a month ago when he got into pretzels.

But I still have problems with him throwing up.

I can not consistently get him healthy and reliable to not throw up.

How was you experience?

Karol mom to Billy 19 years old Down syndrome, mitral valve regurgitation, hypothyroidism and Celaic disease.

Karwei,

I had gastritis as part of my initial set of lab workups. I don't have much in the way of wisdom bout it. I wouldn't say that it has made the recovery any harder in particular; in my case, it means that when I get glutened often the first symptom is a stabbing searing pain throughout my chest. That was actually one of the symptoms that drove me in for dx to begin with. I didn't throw up much, but i had extreme nausea whenever i ate, which made the malnutrition issues worse, b/c half the time i just couldn't eat much.

but when i went gluten free, that was one of the first symptoms to resolve...

Enterolab:

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 20 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 9 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 1223 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 18 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 8,7)

Gastritis dx 10/24

Eosinophilia of large bowel dx 10/29

I have gastritis with nausea for about a year and a half before doing enterolab and finding out that I am probably celiac.

After going gluten-free, my sense is that the nausea is connected to some degree. I definitely have had h pylori, so the connection may be that the GI tract has been compromised by celiac and can't fight off the infection well.

DGL (a form of licorice powder) REALLY helps with the nausea. Also the herbal preparation Mastica.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Yes I have celiac and had gastritis and still get it if I get glutened I also have mitral valve regurgation that kind of interesting . I started taking betaine hydrochloride 600 mg 2 at a time before each meal and chew two are three tropical papaya pills and don't take any tums are rolaids are nexium any more . Hope this helps my Mom has had a bad stomach since 1964 and has lived off of tums and other stomach pills she has gastritis and adcid reflux and hernia and I got her on this and she doesn't take any of the other stuff any more no more pain and having to throw up because it would sour and she would have to get it up to get releif she can't beleive the difference.

Yes I have celiac and had gastritis and still get it if I get glutened I also have mitral valve regurgation that kind of interesting . I started taking betaine hydrochloride 600 mg 2 at a time before each meal and chew two are three tropical papaya pills and don't take any tums are rolaids are nexium any more . Hope this helps my Mom has had a bad stomach since 1964 and has lived off of tums and other stomach pills she has gastritis and adcid reflux and hernia and I got her on this and she doesn't take any of the other stuff any more no more pain and having to throw up because it would sour and she would have to get it up to get releif she can't beleive the difference.

I have also suffered from gastritis for the past 2 years. Sometimes that drives me more crazy than my other symptoms. I get so tired of feeling that pain in my gut. It's strange because at times I won't have it for months and then it flares up and I have it for months on end. I have taken licorice root tablets and that helps. I will have to try the papaya pills. I know papaya is really good for digestion. I have thought about trying the betaine hydrochloride, but I have read that if you have gastritis you shouldn't take them. I'm afraid it would make the pain worse?????

Calle