This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Pregnant And Scared

covsooze

covsooze Enthusiast

Hi everyone!

I haven't posted here in a while, as I was getting too addicted to the forum ;)

Anyways, I just found out that I am pregnant and am scared. I have one DS already, and I'm sure being pregnant with him and b/f for 18 months really brought to the fore my celiac disease. I was diagnosed when he was 2. I've been gluten-free 18 months. We decided to ttc in the new year and I got pregnant almost immediately, but miscarried at only 5 weeks. (I had a miscarriage before DS as well). I had one period and now am pregnant again!! :o So I obviously have no trouble conceiving but am very worried I'll miscarry again. My sister, who also has celiac disease, miscarried twice last year and now is pregnant again, but not without complications.

The thing is, I got glutened last week, probably twice (which is the first time in ages, as I'm very strict) and I've been suffering with abdo pains ever since. Often, the pains I get with gluten (and IBS) are the same as period pains, so I'm sitting here worrying about whether the pains could still be the gluten or whether I will lose this pregnancy too.

I know no one can tell me it'll be OK, but just wanted to download to some friendly understanding ears.

Also, what do you guys do when you get glutened whilst pregnant? It worried me that it would mean I'm not absorbing my prenatal vits. Should I take extra?

Thanks

Susie x

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Susie, have you been tested for deficiencies? Now is definitely the time to know specifically where you need to supplement to make sure you and baby are both getting the vitamins and minerals you need. I believe the reason for miscarriages with celiac disease is that the right nutrients aren't there to sustain the baby. Ask your doctor to test for folic acid, vitamin D, potassium, calcium and magnesium, vitamins B6 and B12 and ferritin. All of those are extremely important for the baby's development (and you as well). Also, make sure you get enough omega 3 fatty acids (the best source is fish oil, if you need vitamins D and A, cod liver oil is best).

Is it possible for you to lie down most of the time? When I was carrying my youngest (who is 15 now), it should have been twins, but I miscarried one. I would have lost her too, if I wouldn't have mostly stayed in bed for two months, until those same pains you are having now (and off and on bleeding whenever I got up) stopped and she was safe (at about five months). My poor two oldest daughters, who were ten and nine then, were running the household and looking after their little brother and sister.

Guhlia Rising Star

I definitely wouldn't take any extra vitamins unless recommended to do so by your OBGYN. The best thing for you and your baby is probably to relax as much as possible, drink extra water, and make sure you're getting a healthy, well rounded diet including snacks. I know you're probably already doing that, but when I get glutened I take it to the extreme and it seems to help me feel better quicker.

I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Congratulations on the pregnancy!

alamaz Collaborator

Hi! Congratulations on your pregnancy. That's wonderful! I hope you stay healthy for the next nine months and try to take it easy. I don't have personal experience (yet) but I have heard that mild cramping to the sides of the uterus pregnancy is normal as the uterus stretches. Congratulations again!

covsooze Enthusiast

Thanks for the kind thoughts and advice ladies :)

I went to my GP yesterday, and he said the pain could be one of three things: my celiac disease, a threatening miscarriage or an ectopic pregnancy, but that my stomach felt fine on examination so that he doubted it was any of them :unsure: He sent me off to hospital, where they told me it was too early to scan to rule out an ectopic pregnancy but the exam suggested that was unlikely. I'm having a scan next Tuesday to be sure. They've taken bloods to check my hormone levels, which they'll check again on Thursday evening, to see that it's increasing appropriately.

I think the pain is probably celiac disease related, but I've never had pain go on this long before. Maybe the hormones are effecting it??

I'm going back to bed now for a lie down until DS gets back from nursery school.

PS Angie, your picture is gorgeous :)

Guhlia Rising Star

I'm so glad that your doctor sounded hopeful after your visit. That's promising. :) Keep us informed. And thanks! :)

Archived