Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ckmom

Need Some Advice

First I want to thank this board! I have read so much helpful info, it's the main place that truly gets me thru.

Well, my 6 yr old daughter was dx. about 4 months ago. We have been doing very well, her stomach aches almost stopped immediately. Now, she has been complaining again of stomach aches. I don't know if it truly has anything to do with her celiac or not. She doesn't complain if she is doing something she wants to be doing or if she is busy and doesn't think about it! I really don't know what to think or do!? My husband thinks we should take her back to the Dr. but I just don't know if that's the answer. I feel like I am at a complete loss . . . I am trying so hard to make this transition easy for her by baking/cooking all of her old favorites gluten free which, the majority of them she enjoys. I am really feeling low and sorry for her and I don't know what to do. If anyone has any ideas please let me know - I take all of this advice to heart.

Thank You all in advance!!

Kelly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

With kids it is difficult to tell whether they really hurt or whether they are making it up for some other reason. What I do is tell them if they feel bad they should go lay down (and I make them do it) ... if they really feel bad, then they are happy to, but if they don't, all of a sudden they feel better.

Since your daughter feels fine when she's busy, I am wondering if she just misses the attention she got when she was ill. If so, the above should work because going to lay down is the opposite of getting attention.

If she does really seem to hurt, keeping a food diary might help. Sometimes other food allergies/intolerances show up after going gluten-free, so it really could be something else bothering her ... but I'd try to find out if it's real or for attention before you drag her to the doctor or put her on an elimination diet ... it should only take a few days to find out.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

With kids it is difficult to tell whether they really hurt or whether they are making it up for some other reason. What I do is tell them if they feel bad they should go lay down (and I make them do it) ... if they really feel bad, then they are happy to, but if they don't, all of a sudden they feel better.

Since your daughter feels fine when she's busy, I am wondering if she just misses the attention she got when she was ill. If so, the above should work because going to lay down is the opposite of getting attention.

If she does really seem to hurt, keeping a food diary might help. Sometimes other food allergies/intolerances show up after going gluten-free, so it really could be something else bothering her ... but I'd try to find out if it's real or for attention before you drag her to the doctor or put her on an elimination diet ... it should only take a few days to find out.

Thank You so much that sounds like a great idea. I actually already have a book to keep the food diary in. Making her lay down for a while does make sense. (Then I'll have another problem on my hands if this is for attention!)

It's funny because we actually have the opposite problem. My son won't admit when something hurts. So we never know for sure when he is sick or when he is feeling better. But Carla's idea sounds like a good one.

Nicole

Aside from the possibility of hidden gluten (toothpaste?) could she have established a pattern of receiving attention when her stomach hurt? And now she uses that to gain attention when she is bored or needing some parent time?

My daughter and I developed a different relationship when she was sick and in pain all the time. We had to reestablish a new way of relating once she felt better. I had to find something to do with all the time I used to spend worrying about her! and I still was smothering her with attention when she really needed to have some independence once she felt better. (She is 15) But a sick child does create a different dynamic and maybe your daughter is also having trouble adjusting to a new one now that she is better. I'd check with the doctor though and let her know when the stomach aches seem to reappear. I'd keep a chart and see if there is a pattern to them (note what is going on in the family when they appear--). I like the idea of asking her to go lie down.

Good luck--