This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Peripheral Neuropathy....

EBsMom

EBsMom Apprentice

I've been having numbness in some odd places - my right mid-forearm down through the hand, my left hand, my left shin and ankle, and the left side of my back. It's always there, though usually worse in the evening, better in the morning. I've had a little numbness and tingling in my hands for a year or so, but it's never been very bad, so I ignored it. Now that I'm gluten-free/cf, it seems to be worse - ? I have a Dr's appointment scheduled for the week after next, and I'll be sure to tell him about it. Does this sound like peripheral neuropathy? Are there any specific blood tests (nutritional panel, ect.) that I should request my Dr. to run? Are there any supplements I might look at taking (I'm taking a gluten-free multivite...plannning to start probiotics this week.) Any thoughts are welcome!

Rho

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dadoffiveboys Rookie
I've been having numbness in some odd places - my right mid-forearm down through the hand, my left hand, my left shin and ankle, and the left side of my back. It's always there, though usually worse in the evening, better in the morning. I've had a little numbness and tingling in my hands for a year or so, but it's never been very bad, so I ignored it. Now that I'm gluten-free/cf, it seems to be worse - ? I have a Dr's appointment scheduled for the week after next, and I'll be sure to tell him about it. Does this sound like peripheral neuropathy? Are there any specific blood tests (nutritional panel, ect.) that I should request my Dr. to run? Are there any supplements I might look at taking (I'm taking a gluten-free multivite...plannning to start probiotics this week.) Any thoughts are welcome!

Rho

I would recommend checking for Folic Acid deficiency. My father had a bad case of peripheral neuropathy (diagnosed by a neurologist) and a deficiency in folic acid. This affects the amino acids that make up the nerve cells or something like that. It takes MONTHS to recover the damage as nerve cells heal very slowly. Also I noticed if oyu go gluten-free/CF and make a mistake.. then you get it MUCH WORSE (it seems) although I'm not really sure it is.. you will probably have to stick with the diet for at least 6 months to really see improvements :(.. I wish it would go faster but my experience is no. My dad has been free 6 months now and he no longer has what you would call neuropathy - he also had sleep problems with it which are better as well.

DrMom Apprentice

Please explain to your physician what has been happening. He will probably do quite a few blood tests, hopefully including vit B levels, especially B6 and B12. Do not change your medications meanwhile. Good luck

DrMom

GeoffCJ Enthusiast

Neuropathy was one of my big symptoms before diagnosis. Since going gluten-free, it has seemed at times to get better, then worse than I remembered, then better, then worse.... Frustrating. I've been taking B12, but perhaps I should look at Folic Acid too.

Geoff

lorka150 Collaborator

I was diagnosed with Peripheral Neuropathy due to celiac disease from my neurologist. The longer you are gluten free, the better you will feel.

Archived