This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Log Cabin Syrups Contain Barley?!

ksb43

ksb43 Apprentice

I was looking through this site about gluten free foods:

Open Original Shared Link

The November 12, 2004 entry says Log Cabin syrups contain barley and aren't gluten free. I've been using that syrup and on the label it doesn't list barley at all. What's going on here?! Don't they have to list it as an ingredient?! That's messed up. Anyone know anything about that brand? I don't mind switching syrups, but it would have been nice to know that I was eating something that was contaminated.

The site says:

"November 12, 2004: Aunt Jemima's syrup, Mrs. Butterworth's syrups and all Log Cabin syrups except Country Kitchen: Subscribers to our food SmartList and our food pocketguide should note that these syrups now contain barley and are NOT gluten free."

NOTE that it later confirms that Aunt Jemima's syrups ARE gluten free.

Kevin

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ptkds Community Regular

I contacted this company in January of this year. The company is called Pinnacle foods. Their response is below. Basically, the Log Cabin Country Kitchen is safe, but the others may not be. We use this kind, and we really like it.

Thank you for taking the time to inquire about Pinnacle Foods

Corporation

and the products we produce which might be gluten-free. We appreciate

your interest in our company and our products.

At the present time, Vlasic

lovegrov Collaborator

Barley doesn't have to be listed because it's not one of the top 8 allergens.

richard

Lisa Mentor
I was looking through this site about gluten free foods:

Open Original Shared Link

The November 12, 2004 entry says Log Cabin syrups contain barley and aren't gluten free. I've been using that syrup and on the label it doesn't list barley at all. What's going on here?! Don't they have to list it as an ingredient?! That's messed up. Anyone know anything about that brand? I don't mind switching syrups, but it would have been nice to know that I was eating something that was contaminated.

The site says:

"November 12, 2004: Aunt Jemima's syrup, Mrs. Butterworth's syrups and all Log Cabin syrups except Country Kitchen: Subscribers to our food SmartList and our food pocketguide should note that these syrups now contain barley and are NOT gluten free."

NOTE that it later confirms that Aunt Jemima's syrups ARE gluten free.

Kevin

Kevin,

Thank you for posting that information. That is what this site is all about, helping each other through Celiacland.

I would use a bit of caution upon relying on 2004 ingredient information. Products change frequently and while it's easy to rely on passed on information, the MUST rule here is to READ ALL LABELS. ;) Barley can be a hidden ingredient. And, when in doubt, call or write the company.

As richard indicated, barley, rye, malt and oats are not reqired to be listed as an allergin. Wheat is required.

ksb43 Apprentice
Kevin,

Thank you for posting that information. That is what this site is all about, helping each other through Celiacland.

I would use a bit of caution upon relying on 2004 ingredient information. Products change frequently and while it's easy to rely on passed on information, the MUST rule here is to READ ALL LABELS. ;) Barley can be a hidden ingredient. And, when in doubt, call or write the company.

As richard indicated, barley, rye, malt and oats are not reqired to be listed as an allergin. Wheat is required.

That's crazy. They should have to list everything. That's the point of having an ingredients list. Considering that there are enough people with gluten intolerance and celiac disease, they should be forced to list gluten and not just wheat.

I saw a post somewhere on here about certain brands that will always identify sources of gluten...I'll have to find it and try to stick to them.

Archived