Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matty

Should I Get Tested?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Matty,

Celiac has over 200 symptoms and yes, you do have some. I would recommend that you have a full celiac blood panel. Your primary doctor can have it done. Some allergy testing may indicate some sensitivities as well. A low tolerance for cold can indicate a thyroid issue.

Read here and see if there is a fit .

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

Matty,

Celiac has over 200 symptoms and yes, you do have some. I would recommend that you have a full celiac blood panel. Your primary doctor can have it done. Some allergy testing may indicate some sensitivities as well. A low tolerance for cold can indicate a thyroid issue.

Read here and see if there is a fit .

Thanks Momma Goose.

I have taken some time to wander amongst the forums but I am getting somewhat overwhelmed and I

Join eNewsletter

Some people here are non-symptomatic. The only reason they were diagnosed with Celiac is because other issues raised their head like thyroid, diabetes, malabsorption, fibromyalgia....

You can try the diet for several weeks and see if you find improvements in your health. But to have the blood panel or the endoscopy exam with biopsy you must remain on gluten for the bet accuracy in the testing.

I would venture to say that about 50& of active members here are self diagnosed and they feel quite content with it. The gluten free diet is the best form of diagnoses in positive dietary response.

To be honest, with the help of this forum, the diet is not as daunting as it may appear.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

It sounds like you should definitely have the test -- it is relatively inexpensive when compared to the chance that your ills could be fixed with diet change.

lunch meat and bacon and possibly cheese - sulfites? preservatives? gluten? sugar?

chocolate/coffee/coke- caffeine, sugar? (esp. since not diet coke)

pasta/cereal - gluten/wheat/simple starches?

I would get the celiac test. Then I might get a test to be sure I was able to digest carbs. This is some kind of breath test. There is also fructose intolrance. There are tests for these things - I think you should rule out celiac first, since it is so prevalent in our cultures.

I will tell you this. When I quit gluten, I stopped getting anxiety attacks. 100%. In fact, if I've been exposed to gluten, that is my first clue; within five minutes I feel the panic attack coming on. It is my belief that everyone that suffers from panic attacks/anxiety should be tested for celiac disease.

Take care. Good luck.

Join eNewsletter

Because you have an opportunity to get tested, do it now before you cut out gluten. It sounds like you may have a gluten issue, and from your list of foods that cause reactions, probably a leaky gut as well. Before I went gluten-free I had similar symptoms to yours, and a relative lack of gastrointestinal symptoms. Gluten and other food intolerances seem to create a cascading effect of ill health in multiple body systems, a cascade you need to stop with a dietary overhaul. Have you done an elimination diet and food journal? This is a great tool for getting to the bottom of your issues.

The toxins your doctor spoke of = your food.

Join eNewsletter

My main symptoms are asthma, excema, chronic low feritin levels, atrial fibrillation, osteoporosis, Graves Disease, migraines, depression and tiredness. I also had gas and bloating coupled with constipation.

I have been on a gluten free diet new fo 6 weeks and I feel much better. I did eat some gluten at 2 weeks and I came out in a generalised itchy rash all over my body, but mainly on my back. My current doctor won't accept that I had a positive antibody test done in 2001, so she considers me self diagnosed. I don't care much as I feel so much better.

For goodness sake stop eating those suspect foods. It seems that dairy is a problem at least. Maybe you have multiple food allergies and react to additives in foods. I have to eat carefully or I get palpitaions called atrial fibrillation. This is caused by monosodium glutinate and artificial colours in foods. when I abstain, the palpitations go away.

Maybe if you switch to a vegetarian diet and stop eating highly processed foods for a while the condition will correct itself. Clinical depression can lead to feelings of impending doom. I know because I often feel that way. It's then I realise that I am getting depressed.

Joss

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter