Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Megan E

Flour Conversions

I'm new to all this, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a conversion table that will tell me how to substitute alternative flours in my favorite recipes. For example, 1 cup all purpose flour = x amount rice flour/soy flour/etc. Also, do I have to use different amounts of any of the other ingredients? Thanks to anyone who can help!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm new to all this, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a conversion table that will tell me how to substitute alternative flours in my favorite recipes. For example, 1 cup all purpose flour = x amount rice flour/soy flour/etc. Also, do I have to use different amounts of any of the other ingredients? Thanks to anyone who can help!

I use this mix of flour: 3 C brown rice flour, 1 C potato starch, 1/2 C tapioca starch and 2 tsp. xanthan gum. Sift together three times. Then I use it just as I would all-purpose flour in quick breads, cookies, cakes, etc. Sometimes I have to adjust the liquid a tiny bit, but usually it works just fine. When you start getting into trickier things like pizza dough, you need to add some bean flour and more tapioca flour (at least, in my recipe), but this basic recipe will get you started. I much prefer to bake out of my Betty Crocker cookbook using "regular" recipes than trying to follow 27 steps in a "special" gluten-free recipe.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Join eNewsletter

I use this mix of flour: 3 C brown rice flour, 1 C potato starch, 1/2 C tapioca starch and 2 tsp. xanthan gum. Sift together three times. Then I use it just as I would all-purpose flour in quick breads, cookies, cakes, etc. Sometimes I have to adjust the liquid a tiny bit, but usually it works just fine. When you start getting into trickier things like pizza dough, you need to add some bean flour and more tapioca flour (at least, in my recipe), but this basic recipe will get you started. I much prefer to bake out of my Betty Crocker cookbook using "regular" recipes than trying to follow 27 steps in a "special" gluten-free recipe.

Can I use plain old rice flour in something like gravy? Or do I always need to use a mix of flours?

Ruth, single mom to DD1, 14, DD2, 113, and DS, 7

Kosher, low carb (since 6/3/07), gluten free (since 11/15/07), dairy free, mostly legume (incl. soy) free since 2/7/08. Now on the Blood Type Diet (type O) which includes cutting out corn as well. I have fibromyalgia and this diet is helping me feel better.

Join eNewsletter

Yep, I use white rice flour in gravy and it turns out great!

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Join eNewsletter

Yep, I use white rice flour in gravy and it turns out great!

Great to know! now I just have to find time to buy rice flour. ;)

I went to a store today, but the store offering the free turkey if I spend $300 in a month didn't carry rice flour. I was $17 short for the free turkey after Friday's shopping so I went today to get a few more items so I could get my turkey. It's just that I would have gone to a different store with a different selection if I wasn't going for the promotion.

Kosher, low carb (since 6/3/07), gluten free (since 11/15/07), dairy free, mostly legume (incl. soy) free since 2/7/08. Now on the Blood Type Diet (type O) which includes cutting out corn as well. I have fibromyalgia and this diet is helping me feel better.

Join eNewsletter

Great to know! now I just have to find time to buy rice flour. ;)

You can use plain old cornstarch for gravy until you get the rice flour :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

You can use plain old cornstarch for gravy until you get the rice flour :)

Well, then I'd need to go to a store and buy some cornstarch. ;)

I do have potato starch in the house, but I'm not 100% sure it hasnt' been contaminated by wheat flour in the past. I've had that can a VERY long time.

Join eNewsletter

"Never officially diagnosed with Celiac, but won't ever go back to gluten again!"

Amen to that! Me either, and I won't put myself through that torture.

Proud Mom of now 3 - one of which is dairy intolerant, and a hubby who is dairy intolerant.

Coconut, pseudoephedrine, lidocaine with epinephrine, sulfa and penicillin allergies for several years

Gluten, dairy and wheat intolerant since July 2007, soy intolerant since October 2008.

Be kind, for everyone you speak to is fighting their own battles.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter