This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mouth Sores... Any Ideas? Please !

Aimee D.

Aimee D. Newbie

I'm having a really bad mouth sore out break... Does anyone know of anything that may give me some relief?? I may have had a gluten encounter on Thanksgiving, also I have been drinking milk on a daily basis. I now have 5 white crater type sores on the very bottom of my mouth in front of my lower teeth and they are rapidly increasing and seem to be getting worse. My husband suggested rinsing with salt water and I can't even begin to describe how bad that felt. My lower lip is just throbbing and If I move it it makes things feel worse. :( I did try eating raw garlic (I got that suggestion from another forum) and it actually seemed to ease the pain a little, but trust me it is not gone! I have had this problem when I have been glutened in the past and I have just rode it out for a week or two and they went away, but If there is someone who has an idea of how to make this less painfull I would sure appriciate it.

Thanks ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

~alex~ Explorer

Hi,

I had a lot of mouth sores before I was diagnosed and I tried a bunch of different methods to get rid of them or at least make them less painful. I found that rinsing my mouth with Benadryl liquid helped ease the pain. Holding ice chips in my mouth helped a bit to when they were really bothering me.

I hope you get some relief soon! Mouth sores are so annoying.

gdobson Explorer

I had terrible big white ulcers in my mouth before going gluten-free. And they would not go away on their own. They only seemed to grow and throb and feel feverish in my mouth. I would have to use medicated orajel on them to numb and heal them. That did work for me, but not sure about the ingredients in it anymore.

DoriGates Newbie

Here is another tip. Rinsing with Mylanta. My friend of mine would mix Mylanta and benadryl and swish it around. I know if I have had something with gluten, because the mouth sores would appear.

Yellow Rose Explorer

Tea Tree Oil will help. Have you changed your toothpaste? Some have sodium lauryl sulfate in them and they can cause mouth sores in some people.

Yellow Rose

Aimee D. Newbie

Thanks you guys!

I feel so much better this morning, believe it or not I actually think the garlic thing is helping. I ate some more before I went to bed and it helped right away. I had no problems getting to sleep and they don't hurt as much today. I am even going to attempt the saltwater again. :huh: I will also get mylanta and benadryl and try that.

Thanks for the help it's nice to know there a place where people understand exactly what I'm talking about!

Dyan Rookie

I just called Mylanta the other day. Right now they can only guarentee that the 'orginal flavor' is gluten free. And only the regular and maximum strength. Of course I had bought "cherry, ultimate strength" I am very new to all of this, less than a month. So just wanted to let you know in case they changed their formula.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ab123 Rookie

My grandma always told me to swish peroxide around and then after that swish around mylanta or pepto. Praise God I dont get them unless I get glutened! They were horrible!

Nyxie63 Apprentice

Something else to think about - how are your iron and vit B levels? I can often tell when my iron and/or Bs are getting low because I get a headache, along with mouth sores and blisters. Your zinc and vit C might be low as well.

bakingbarb Enthusiast

I used to have those mouth sores. My entire childhood and teen years oh heck just keep going through the ages...

Those sores were so painful and never went fully away. Makes my mouth hurt just to think of them.

I read recently those sores are a pointer to Celiac, too bad the medical and dental community don't know that. :angry:

JustMe75 Enthusiast

I have never had mouth sores like that but I get canker sores, cold sores and the corner of my mouth splits when I am run down and I take Lysine pills (an amino acid) and swear they cut the healing time in half. My daughter used to get cold sores so bad she has scars on her lips and as soon as she was old enough to swallow a pill I started giving them to her too and they never get bad anymore. I have read that Lysine works for all types of mouth problems and speeds tissue repair. Says to take 1000mg 3x a day the first few days of an outbreak.

Good luck! Mouth sores are terrible!

Guhlia Rising Star

Your doctor should be able to give you a barrier cream safe for oral use to coat them until thry heal. Mine gave me this steroid cream and it healed them within 3 days and coated them so I stopped biting them because they were on my cheeks.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I was told that mouth sores are caused when your tummy gets upset, so it stands to reason, that when we get glutened, we will also get mouth sores! I have also found, they last about 3 days, no matter what. I too, have used Oragel to ease the pain while they heal. I often wonder if a mouth sore is what our tummy's look like inside too!

irish daveyboy Community Regular
I'm having a really bad mouth sore out break... Does anyone know of anything that may give me some relief?? I may have had a gluten encounter on Thanksgiving, also I have been drinking milk on a daily basis. I now have 5 white crater type sores on the very bottom of my mouth in front of my lower teeth and they are rapidly increasing and seem to be getting worse............ If there is someone who has an idea of how to make this less painfull I would sure appriciate it.

Thanks ;)

Hi Amiee D,

I would agree with ab123 rinse your mouth with Hydrogen Peroxide Solution (20 vol) 6%.

It is a weird sensation because your mouth fizzes up (that indicates that the Bacteria is being killed off)

Rinse mouth out with water (to remove that Fizzy sensation).

Then Rinse with either Benadryl/Corsadryl Mouthwash or Listerine Mouthwash, you can apply a gel directly to the mouth ulcers/spots, if it's available where you live try 'Bonjela'.

I had these really bad at one stage that i was sucking 'Strepsils' + Anaesthetic continually.

I feel so sorry for you, but hopefully it will clear up soon.

Best Regards,

David

bulrush Newbie

Mouth sores are often caused by a herpes virus (no, not "that one"). There are many herpes viruses.

Anyway I hear taking lysine supplements helps a lot.

finally diagnosed Apprentice
Here is another tip. Rinsing with Mylanta. My friend of mine would mix Mylanta and benadryl and swish it around. I know if I have had something with gluten, because the mouth sores would appear.

Hi Aimee, I hope you have had some relief by now. I too will rinse with Mylanta and benadryl. It put equal amounts in a cup and swish it in my mouth. For years I would get sores in my mouth, on my cheeks inside and my throat. They use to say it was hand, foot and mouth disease. When they finally diagnosed me with Celiac and I stopped the gluten. there have been little breakouts (except when accidently glutened). Once I started rinsing with Mylanda and benadryl it cleard up. Also, stay away from anything acidic when this happens, ie: tomatoes, sauce, coffee etc. these will aggravate it worse. good luck. Lorrie

miles2go Contributor

A couple of weeks ago, I had my second-for-the-year of what I'm now calling Invasive Procedure Day, where I somehow get scheduled for the dentist and the ob/gyn on the same day. That will stop soon, as my ob/gyn says I'm good to go back to an annual...but anyway. I'm at the ob/gyn and my urine has a little bit of protein in it, no big problem, but we'll test it, if you want. I then go to the dentist for cleaning and x-rays and they find this lesion on the roof of my mouth and back towards the soft palate. They are of course concerned, but puzzled and schedule me to come back this last Thursday. Meanwhile, the ob/gyn office leaves a voicemail the Friday before saying that I have a yeast infection. Wonderful. On Monday, I'm at the pharmacist in the middle of a foot of snowstorm event, they don't have the meds the dr. prescribed and neither does the neighboring pharmacist, can you wait a little while? Um, no.

:D So they really were great, called my ob/gyn and I got something else, pretty quickly as I perused the 10 or so meds that they have OTC for the same complaint. Back to Thursday, I'm in the dentist's chair for the followup and nothing has changed and I know that since I've been looking everyday and feeling the what-is-now-pain and researching oral cancer, which is a very unattractive way to go. The poor dentist's office is a little freaked out and want to send me to an oral surgeon that day or the next and I get scheduled for that. Pretty cool. I manage to wade through various things on the web, so many of which are contradictory, btw, but I am looking at pictures of various things; again another unattractive way to go. One thing that I came across in those few hours of really freaking out was someone who said that roughly 98% of diseases can show up in the mouth. Long story short, my oral surgeon turned out to be one of those docs that I actually don't mind that much seeing. They seem to be hidden jewels, at least in my experience. He'd had a digital picture sent to him beforehand, knew all of the meds I was on, etc. and gave me a thorough going over. I have thrush from my daily NasacortAQ meds. He prescribed Nystatin and told me to eat lots of yogurt, see him in two weeks, though he also said that this would probably take months to heal. He really did not want, but was willing to do a biopsy, which is what I was prepared for, fearing the worst. I've had one dose of Nystatin and it makes me nauseous, but I'm eating for the next 4X/daily dose and taking ginger, since my PHP isn't in until Monday. Had to put my second, only elderly cat down a week ago, my only mammalian companion and the second in 17 months time, need to finish up my artwork for the semester, so stress is a factor, too. I have Stonyfield yogurt, check, I have probiotic pills, check, the ginger for the tummy distress and the research that I've done for candida, which is all kind of vaguely contradictory. I don't like sweets, so that part isn't really a problem for me, but the Nystatin seems like 16 T. of sugar contained within 1 t. of a dose. I don't eat a lot of grains anyway, but rely heavily upon dairy for my proteins, since I'm mostly vegetarian. I was advised against yogurt from my Ayurvedic source.

Can anyone help me sort this out? Candida has certainly caused some brain fog over here.

TIA

Margaret

Daughter-of-TheLight Apprentice

What kind of toothpaste are you using? My Mom used sensodine and it gave her mouth sores because it had gluten in it. SOme toothpastes or mouthwashes have gluten, so i suggest you check them carefully.

sunshinen Apprentice

Yeah, canker sores were a constant in my life before going gluten-free. Now they seem to flare up when I've had multiple glutenings in a row.

I'll just reiterate the absolute wonders of Lysine. I take tons of it when I start to get symptoms and the sores heal in a couple days rather than a couple weeks. No exaggeration. It makes a huge difference, but then I take a huge amount of lysine.

Snowball1952 Newbie

You may want to go to a Dermatolgist. You may have Dermitist-Hemtofomis. Sorry for the miss spelling. I had simular sores and was put on Dapsone and it cleared it up. Before that a year or so ago. I had shot of Cortisone which helped for a while. Since the Dapsone they have not come back.

Good Luck! :)

Belinda Meeker Apprentice
I'm having a really bad mouth sore out break... Does anyone know of anything that may give me some relief?? I may have had a gluten encounter on Thanksgiving, also I have been drinking milk on a daily basis. I now have 5 white crater type sores on the very bottom of my mouth in front of my lower teeth and they are rapidly increasing and seem to be getting worse. My husband suggested rinsing with salt water and I can't even begin to describe how bad that felt. My lower lip is just throbbing and If I move it it makes things feel worse. :( I did try eating raw garlic (I got that suggestion from another forum) and it actually seemed to ease the pain a little, but trust me it is not gone! I have had this problem when I have been glutened in the past and I have just rode it out for a week or two and they went away, but If there is someone who has an idea of how to make this less painfull I would sure appriciate it.

Thanks ;)

Hi Aimee,

My son use to get them often as well, but he used Campho-Phenique in the tube, he put a dab on a q-tip and placed directly on the sore and held the lip or jaw out for a few second til some of the burning stopped and they were gone in the next day or two. He only used a tiny bit morning noon and right before bed.

Good luck! hope u get then gone soon.

Bea

mamabear Explorer

Hi

I have always taken mega doses of B complex and Vitanin C when I get a mouth ulcer.

The combo of liquid benadryl, maalox and liquid lidocaine( Rx) has also helped the pain.

Hope you are better now.

Bravie Apprentice

Before I changed my diet, I had sores all the time. Like once every week or so. Was really bad. Now, I hardly ever get them. Last time I had a sore was 3 months ago. It might be something you're eating thats giving you sores too. Salty foods, chips, mints, certain toothpaste, citrus.

Archived