Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JustMe75

Barely Low Iga Levels

My daughters doctor gave me a copy of her blood tests and I have a couple questions. Her celiac panel was all negative but her total IgA was low, barely low. The range is 57-300 mg and hers was 56. What does that mean? The dr said it didn't mean anything. She also had a class 2 reaction to dairy (moderate reaction). Not sure if one has anything to do with the other. Her wheat allergy test was also normal. Does this mean her problems are just dairy or should I still consider gluten?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My daughters doctor gave me a copy of her blood tests and I have a couple questions. Her celiac panel was all negative but her total IgA was low, barely low. The range is 57-300 mg and hers was 56. What does that mean? The dr said it didn't mean anything. She also had a class 2 reaction to dairy (moderate reaction). Not sure if one has anything to do with the other. Her wheat allergy test was also normal. Does this mean her problems are just dairy or should I still consider gluten?

You should still consider gluten. The best course may be to eliminate both gluten and dairy for a bit and then after she is feeling well, perhaps in a couple of months, do a deliberate gluten challenge. If she has a problem the challenge should make that very clear if she has been gluten-free for a while. When doing the challenge just remember that gluten antibody reactions are often delayed. When you add it back in it might be 3 to 5 days before you see a reaction. And you don't want to look for just D, look for headaches, muscle and joint pain, moodiness, unclear thoughts, skin reactions in addition to the usual C or D.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

My daughters doctor gave me a copy of her blood tests and I have a couple questions. Her celiac panel was all negative but her total IgA was low, barely low. The range is 57-300 mg and hers was 56.

A low total IgA means that she's not making a lot of IgA antibodies in general. That will mean that apart from the IgG antigliadin test all the other tests are bound to come in lower than they would in a person that does make IgA antibodies. In other words, the other tests aren't reliable in her case as far as I know.

Pauliina

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter