Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Offthegrid

Cnn Story On Boy With Multiple Food Allergies

It's a good read.

My favorite part: I hope that Teddy's classmate's parents won't react negatively to the exclusion of peanut products from the classroom. I've heard parents freak out when told that no peanut butter could come into a classroom. "But it's all he will eat!" one parent said, as if it weren't possible for a child to live for a few hours without peanut butter. If an orange Crayola would kill a child, there would be no question about teaching kids how to mix yellow and red instead, but heaven forbid you ask a kid to wait for a peanut butter snack so someone in his class won't die.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/conditions/...gies/index.html

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy. I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." - Art Williams

Currently gluten-, casein-, soy- and nightshade-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

That woman wrote a really great story about her son's allergies.

I was reading through the comments, and some people are already offended by the notion of children in the class having to go without peanut butter for a few hours each day :angry:

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

That woman wrote a really great story about her son's allergies.

I was reading through the comments, and some people are already offended by the notion of children in the class having to go without peanut butter for a few hours each day :angry:

I know. That the woman("Andrea") who complained, whose child needs to be on a high-fat, high-calorie diet--what do you want to bet that her child can't gain weight because of undiagnosed celiac????!!!!

My daughter had a girl in her Kindergarten class who was severe peanut allergy and it was a peanut-free classroom. We couldn't pack PB for lunches either, due to odor and residue. It was a pain, but we got around it.

I figure teaching my kid to like turkey and cheese instead of PB&J is far less a big deal than making sure a kid doesn't die at the precious age of 6 in front of other 6 year olds. How petrifying.

That was before she was diagnosed with Celiac disease. Now, more than ever, I have every sympathy for children with food allergies. Yes, it can be an inconvenience for others, but in the bigger picture, it's not right for kids to be unhealth--or be fearful for the health while at school.

The biggest impact Celiac has had on my daughter is psychological far more than just what she can and can't eat.