Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

happyslob

Best Gluten Free All-purpose Flour

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a bag of Kinnickinnick (sorry if I spelled that wrong) Celiac Flour blend, and I can't wait to give it a try. Have any of you tried this one? Have you had fairly good results? Or do you prefer Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free flour?

I haven't had a piece of cake in a LONG time (I was avoiding white flour for a year and half before ten days ago when I figured out that all flour was making me sick.) So I can't wait to experiment! Any links to great gluten-free cake recipes (especially chocolate) would also be fantastic.

Thanks again all, you're great!

Christina

P.S. I've started a new blog about my new gluten-free life at: http://gloriousglutenfree.blogspot.com - I posted a delicious Veggie Chili recipe today that I made up last night. Really REALLY yummy for anyone in your family, whether they're gluten-free or not!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hello

I use three flours that I love..... Betty hageman four bean flour,, Annalise Roberts blended flour from Authenic Foods.Or you can mix your own. She also has a wonderful cookbook I recommend called " Baking CLassics" it has wonderful cakes & much more..The other flour I use alot is Betterbatter flour already mixed . I use my old wheat recipes only changing the flour to this.... it is on sale now ......

http://www.betterbatterglutenfreeflour.com...%20Special.html

Alot of people love this flour because you don't hav eto add anything toit.

mamaw

I buy many Bob's Red Mill products, but I despise their gluten free flour mix. It has garbanzo bean flour which my family dislikes. It has a very strong bean taste in my opinion. Pamela's makes a pretty good flour mix and is available at many health food stores.

I cook and bake a lot so I make my own flour mix:

1 cup cornstarch

1 cup tapioca starch/flour

1 cup rice flour

1 TBSP potato starch.

I buy my flours in bulk and make up about 12 cups at a time. You can also buy in bulk at amazon and Bob's Red Mill.

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

My current favorite all purpose flour mix is Syvan Border Farms. It has performed wonderfully in everything I have tried. I add tapioca flour to it for some things like bread and pizza dough. I buy it in bulk at amazon .com.

I don't care much for the Bob's redmill all purpose flour either, but I think it is more the grainy texture that I object to rather than the flavor.

Positive Bloodwork January 2007

Positive Biopsy Feb. 2007

Gluten Free since January 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,9)

Hi Everyone - I am new to being "gluten free" and am trying to learn about the different flours, especially all-purpose. Has anyone heard of cup for cup (c4c)?

The ingredients are: Cornstarch, white rice flour, brown rice flour, milk powder, tapioca flour, potato starch, xanthan gum.

Thanks,

Jen

I use Cup-4-Cup (William Sanoma) all the time. I subistitute it directly for regular flour. Recently I have made pie crust, cheese straws and fritcake cookies that all turned out great. The only draw back is the price, but I only do a lot of baking at the holidays so it is not a real problem.

Hi Everyone - I am new to being "gluten free" and am trying to learn about the different flours, especially all-purpose. Has anyone heard of cup for cup (c4c)?

The ingredients are: Cornstarch, white rice flour, brown rice flour, milk powder, tapioca flour, potato starch, xanthan gum.

Thanks,

Jen

Yes, I have heard great things about it but cannot get it where I live. It is a pretty typical mix with the extra bonus of milk powder.

My favourite blends are those that do not use a lot of white rice flour as I like to use those that contain nutrients. Rather than purchase blends I make my own. Favourite starches of mine are sorghum, amaranth, garfava, purple yam, millet, ivory teff, quinoa, fine brown rice, chickpea, yellow corn flour and buckwheat. I will post my favourite blends a bit later today when I have more time...

If you try c4c let us know how it behaves!

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.