This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Malabsorption Question - Should I Crush My Supplements?

LoriG

LoriG Contributor

Just curious- with malabsorption issues, is it better to find liquid supplements or crush them for better absorption? Or am I even wasting my money and nothing is getting absorbed whether swallowed, crushed, or liquid?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

If you are celiac, or gluten intolerant, and have gone gluten free, the malabsorption problems should start to improve with time. I have never crushed my supplements, although for a time, I did take a liquid B12, but only because it was a good sublingual gluten free form of B12, not because it was liquid. If you feel better about taking them crushed, then by all means, crush them, but I am not sure it will make any difference. They dissolve in your system anyways, the absorption problem is because the crushed villi aren't able to grab hold of the nutrients to begin with, if the villi aren't working properly, then it will not matter in what form the the supplements come to them--in my honest opinion. Maybe others can shedd a different light on the subject for you.

missy'smom Collaborator

I take a powdered multivitamin and notice a big difference. I tried using tablets that I used to use from the same company and found them to be not as effective. I take Healthy Family Multivitamin Powder by Rainbowlight. It is a little expensive but worth it. If your local store carries the brand but not the specific product they may be able to order it at no extra cost. Same for other supplements.

home-based-mom Contributor

I've been using a liquid one (which I can't specify because I also sell :ph34r: ) for several years and I really like it. I see no reason to go back to pills, or deal with the hassle of powders or crushing pills into powders.

If your system is only absorbing very little then I would guess that either a liquid or a powder that dissolves into a liquid "on the way down" would work best.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It would be easiest, safest and best to get a for sure gluten-free liquid.

Do not crush those tablets without calling the maker first. Many are made to dissolve at specific rates or in a specific place in your digestive system. Medication or supplements should never be split or crushed without checking to make sure it is safe. Many that have special coatings may be too harsh for the stomach or may cause esophageal lesions or ulcers if crushed. If the maker says it is okay to crush also be sure to ask about what to mix them with. Some may be better absorbed in water and some in stuff like jelly or applesauce.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Ditto what ravenwood said - do not crush them unless you've called and determined that the formulation you are taking can be crushed. You may find that you released the dosage far too quickly into the bloodstream (and while vitamins are not toxic at normal dosages, they can be at very inappropriate dosages).

Vitamins designed as powders or liquids already would be a safer bet, if you don't want to call companies.

LoriG Contributor
Ditto what ravenwood said - do not crush them unless you've called and determined that the formulation you are taking can be crushed. You may find that you released the dosage far too quickly into the bloodstream (and while vitamins are not toxic at normal dosages, they can be at very inappropriate dosages).

Vitamins designed as powders or liquids already would be a safer bet, if you don't want to call companies.

Thank you everyone for your input. I will stop crushing them and possibly look into various liquid forms.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

I always use powdered supplements. For the ones that aren't offered that way, I get capsules, and empty them into liquids or something.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I stand corrected--I said I had no idea!!! :blink: I did bring your post to the front so you did get some good answers though! ;)

Archived