Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoriG

Malabsorption Question - Should I Crush My Supplements?

Just curious- with malabsorption issues, is it better to find liquid supplements or crush them for better absorption? Or am I even wasting my money and nothing is getting absorbed whether swallowed, crushed, or liquid?

Years of symptoms: depression, chronic fatigue, insomnia, irritability, constipation

Hashimoto's/Hypothyroid 2001

Had to go into alternative medicine to get answers

Positive enterolab results 10/07

Gluten free 8/07

Dairy free 10/07

Adrenal fatigue

Still not all that well - looking at other foods intolerances

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you are celiac, or gluten intolerant, and have gone gluten free, the malabsorption problems should start to improve with time. I have never crushed my supplements, although for a time, I did take a liquid B12, but only because it was a good sublingual gluten free form of B12, not because it was liquid. If you feel better about taking them crushed, then by all means, crush them, but I am not sure it will make any difference. They dissolve in your system anyways, the absorption problem is because the crushed villi aren't able to grab hold of the nutrients to begin with, if the villi aren't working properly, then it will not matter in what form the the supplements come to them--in my honest opinion. Maybe others can shedd a different light on the subject for you.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

I take a powdered multivitamin and notice a big difference. I tried using tablets that I used to use from the same company and found them to be not as effective. I take Healthy Family Multivitamin Powder by Rainbowlight. It is a little expensive but worth it. If your local store carries the brand but not the specific product they may be able to order it at no extra cost. Same for other supplements.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

I've been using a liquid one (which I can't specify because I also sell :ph34r: ) for several years and I really like it. I see no reason to go back to pills, or deal with the hassle of powders or crushing pills into powders.

If your system is only absorbing very little then I would guess that either a liquid or a powder that dissolves into a liquid "on the way down" would work best.

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

It would be easiest, safest and best to get a for sure gluten-free liquid.

Do not crush those tablets without calling the maker first. Many are made to dissolve at specific rates or in a specific place in your digestive system. Medication or supplements should never be split or crushed without checking to make sure it is safe. Many that have special coatings may be too harsh for the stomach or may cause esophageal lesions or ulcers if crushed. If the maker says it is okay to crush also be sure to ask about what to mix them with. Some may be better absorbed in water and some in stuff like jelly or applesauce.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Ditto what ravenwood said - do not crush them unless you've called and determined that the formulation you are taking can be crushed. You may find that you released the dosage far too quickly into the bloodstream (and while vitamins are not toxic at normal dosages, they can be at very inappropriate dosages).

Vitamins designed as powders or liquids already would be a safer bet, if you don't want to call companies.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Ditto what ravenwood said - do not crush them unless you've called and determined that the formulation you are taking can be crushed. You may find that you released the dosage far too quickly into the bloodstream (and while vitamins are not toxic at normal dosages, they can be at very inappropriate dosages).

Vitamins designed as powders or liquids already would be a safer bet, if you don't want to call companies.

Thank you everyone for your input. I will stop crushing them and possibly look into various liquid forms.

Years of symptoms: depression, chronic fatigue, insomnia, irritability, constipation

Hashimoto's/Hypothyroid 2001

Had to go into alternative medicine to get answers

Positive enterolab results 10/07

Gluten free 8/07

Dairy free 10/07

Adrenal fatigue

Still not all that well - looking at other foods intolerances

I always use powdered supplements. For the ones that aren't offered that way, I get capsules, and empty them into liquids or something.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

I stand corrected--I said I had no idea!!! :blink: I did bring your post to the front so you did get some good answers though! ;)

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!