Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ptkds

My Kitchenaid Mixer Is Dead

I was mixing bread the other day and the bowl popped off in the back. The beater got stuck and stopped. NOw it isn't working right. And of course the warranty had expired. No one in my area fixes them, and the company will take at least 3 wks to get it back to me. Plus, we are of course broke (as usual) and we can't afford to send it into the company and get it fixed. What do I do now??? Can I mix bread by hand? I don't think my little hand mixer will be strong enough to make bread. And the recipe I use requires 15 minutes of beating in the stand mixer! How the heck can i do that w/out my stand mixer?

Sorry, just had to vent. I am just in tears here cuz I don't know what to do.

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I just wanted to say I'm so sorry :( I know how much we come to depend on our kitchen equipment.

While you're waiting to be able to get your machine fixed, maybe consider using a different recipe or a mix for bread? I use GFP, and I think it could be successfully mixed up with a hand mixer--it only gets mixed for 2 minutes.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

:angry: Oh, my! I'm so sorry!! Can you call and get a loaner?! :D I've never heard of a KA doing that! My bread recipe only requires 3 minutes of mixing.

Mom of:

Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.

Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

Join eNewsletter

.... the recipe I use requires 15 minutes of beating in the stand mixer! ....

There's no sense in mixing that long for gluten-free stuff. There is no gluten to develop by kneading. You don't even need much power, since the batters are pretty wet, compared to gluten bread dough. The main problem with hand mixers or stand mixers like my Sunbeam Heritage Mixmaster, is they simply don't have a paddle. With the two regular beaters, the batter gets stuck on the beaters and goes up to where the beaters attach to the mixer. With the paddle attachment (which only Kichenaid has) that doesn't happen.

I loved my Sunbeam, but I love my Kitchenaid Artisan even more.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

Join eNewsletter

There's no sense in mixing that long for gluten-free stuff. There is no gluten to develop by kneading. You don't even need much power, since the batters are pretty wet, compared to gluten bread dough. The main problem with hand mixers or stand mixers like my Sunbeam Heritage Mixmaster, is they simply don't have a paddle. With the two regular beaters, the batter gets stuck on the beaters and goes up to where the beaters attach to the mixer. With the paddle attachment (which only Kichenaid has) that doesn't happen.

I loved my Sunbeam, but I love my Kichenaid Artisan even more.

best regards, lm

ITA Larry! I had a Sunbeam Mixmaster and couldn't believe the difference when I got a KA. It really improved my breads!

Mom of:

Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.

Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter