Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kabowman

Yeast Intolerance

OK, I know this is away from gluten intolerance, which I have, but everyone is always so helpful, I was hoping you would have ideas about yeast.

Well, I can have some types of yeast because tequilla and rum don't bother me : ); however, grain and fruit "yeast" do bother me.

I have had to eliminate almost all fruit from my limited diet (no gluten, lactose/casein, yeast, corn, soy, wine, vinegar, peanuts, almonds, garbonzo, msg) - I can still eat pecans and walnuts though. However, when I eat fruit that has ripened well, to the sweet stage, I react with a yeast reaction. I understand that as fruit ripens, it grows yeast, however, I recently made a nut bread and put sugar on top. Well, when I first made the bread, it was wonderful and no reaction!!! However, after a couple of days, sealed but not refridgerated (sp?), I developed a "yeast type" of reaction. I am guessing that the non-refridg bread with sugar grew yeast that then made me sick. Any ideas?

I am missing sweet foods...the bread was really nice and I can eat the brownies I make without problems too...

I do eat fruit jams that don't affect me and I was wondering if it is because, they are canned/sealed the refridgerated right away and con't have the chance to grow yeast in the quantities to give me a reaction.

Any ideas, hypothosises (sp????), any help? Thanks...

-Kate

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The distillation process used to make tequilla and rum removes the yeast.

Yeast will grow on anything with sugar, particularly fruits and baked goods without preservatives.

Sugar and refined carb ingestation also promotes yeast growth in the bowel.

I've read yeast is indicated as a root cause in Krohn's disease.

I have been checked for Krohn's disease, IBS w/ food intolerances is the final dx.

Thanks for the help - by the way, I don't have any other problems that people with candid (sp?) have - I have similar reactions to soy, gluten, peanuts, etc. the yeast just makes me tired and run a fever on top of those symptoms. I feel drugged for days.

The question then is, will refridgerating the baked goods slow down the process; i.e., allowing me to keep/eat something a little longer? So far, I am doing fine in giving up the sweets and fruit but it would be nice occasionally.

Also, if it promotes growth in the bowels, I don't know that I have noticed anything like that, of course, everything "still" runs through pretty quick.

-Kate

Like most growing things, yeast is more active in warm conditions than cold conditions. Bread yeast goes fairly inactive in the fridge. There are some beer yeasts (lager) that operate at fridge temps, but not bread yeast. Bakers keep cakes of bread yeast in the fridge to keep it fresh (dormant).