Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

okgrace

Easter Dinner Questions?

Hi all,

I've been poking around this wonderful website for a couple days and left a post about a potty training regression my four year old is going through under the doctor thread, but essentially I am really new to all this. I am the mother of a 4 year old girl who needs to be gluten free, a husband who is gluten-free also, and now I am begining to suspect that i also nbeed to stay off the gluten. The dilema of the day is; Will gluten free beer be ok to marinate a ham in for Easter Dinner?

I haven't looked at the product myself and I am a bit confused how fermentation is bad in some situations but not in others. I assume this beer is fermented, right. Wouldn't it need to be to be an alcoholic bev?

I love this site, I am just begining to realize the severity of my daughters allergy. We have gluten-free since about december. Something is bothering her and after reading all your posts I am discovering that environment is as important as what is ingested. Thanks for the great site!

Kristan :)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi all,

I've been poking around this wonderful website for a couple days and left a post about a potty training regression my four year old is going through under the doctor thread, but essentially I am really new to all this. I am the mother of a 4 year old girl who needs to be gluten free, a husband who is gluten-free also, and now I am begining to suspect that i also nbeed to stay off the gluten. The dilema of the day is; Will gluten free beer be ok to marinate a ham in for Easter Dinner?

I haven't looked at the product myself and I am a bit confused how fermentation is bad in some situations but not in others. I assume this beer is fermented, right. Wouldn't it need to be to be an alcoholic bev?

I love this site, I am just begining to realize the severity of my daughters allergy. We have gluten-free since about december. Something is bothering her and after reading all your posts I am discovering that environment is as important as what is ingested. Thanks for the great site!

Kristan :)

Aside from never hearing about merinating a Ham, gluten free beer such as Red Bridge is fine.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

Maybe it's not called merinating. I am not much of a cook and have never cooked a ham, turkey, etc. that's what Hubby and mom's are for. Since my family has become gluten-free I have been working less and making a big effort to cook whole foods (rice, lentils, millet, etc. ). One of my goals is to cook a whole bird right off.

Thanks for the info on the beer. Can anyone out there explain why fermentation and yeast can be a prob for people who are gluten-free?

Join eNewsletter

I'm not sure if it is the fermentation and yeast that you have to worry about with Celiac (unless that is a different food problem you may have). Regular beer contains gluten because of the ingredients (usually barley and wheat, I think) but the gluten-free beer is made of sorghum instead so there's no gluten. Redbridge is quite good, it reminds me of Sam Adams.

Join eNewsletter

Yes, it is the barley that almost all beers are malted from that is the issue. Fermentation, per se, is not a concern, but the concern is just what you ferment.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter