Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hartwell

Am I Gluten Intolerant?

Hi,

I have never done this before, but I figured asking folks who know about this stuff would be helpful.

I have a suspicion that I gluten intolerant, but I am just not sure. About three years ago when I was 26 I lost about 20 pounds without much effort. Shortly after that I moved from the west coast back to Maine. I then developed a rash on my back that my doctor at the time said was contact dermatitis, but 3 years later I still have it. I have not really gained any weight back, and I have lost my sense of smell which could be due to nose polyps. Also since around 19 I have had what I though was acne, but it was (and is) more like little bumps on my face, but I also get them on my chest, neck, back and the back of my arms. They itch a lot and are more like blisters and hives than pimples. I often get upset stomach, but thought everyone did and didn't think much of it.

Due to my suspicion I attempted to cut gluten from my diet but it is extremely difficult. I know some gluten has slipped here and there. My boyfriend is convinced my skin is getting better and it seems my rash is going away. I have only been doing it for about two weeks. I have gotten light headed, been moody, and had a couple real skin "freak-outs" which i wonder is just my body ridding the toxins from my system.

I have no insurance so I can't be sure, Please help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am afraid that you will need to see a doctor.....I had the same acne problem and it was noe because of gluten but because of lactose intolerance (which was a side effect of celiac)......Maybe you are a celiac, maybe you are not. The symptoms you are describing are not so typical, but on the other hand many celiacs don't have symptoms at all. If you can't afford a doctor (I don't know how expensive this is in your country) maybe you can try to really stop all the gluten for something like 1 month and then get it back and see how you react. Just an idea......also try to eliminate lactose and casein.

Meline

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008

I think that warrants a food journal and serious consideration for an elimination diet. It's rough but well worth it. I tested for so many food sensitivities that this is how my doctor started me out. Start with two food items you know you don't have any issues with. I started with rice and white potatoes (the staple of my diet). And sadly enough this is all you get to eat for two weeks (it's the purging period). Then you introduce a new food item and keep a log from that point on of what you ate that day and how you felt. When you introduce a food item you cannot introduce another item for 3 days. Food sensitivities can take up to 72 hours to show a side effect. Once you've cleared the 3 days with the new item introduced without any negative symptoms then you can introduce something else. But the day you get a headache or a migraine or upset tummy or acne breakout, you need to back up 3 days on your diet and eliminate whatever was new. You can try that item again later (usually they say like six months later but not right away). It's rough and it sucks and you'll feel like crap and you'll feel like you're starving, but in the end it's well worth it to figure out what's making you sick. But as always you should consult a physician before starting any sort of extreme diet.

Gluten Free since 2003

The loss of the sense of smell may be a zinc deficiency. A deficiency in vitamin B12 can cause all sorts of problems, effecting mood, sleep patterns, memory and other brain functions, and lots lots more. Nutrient deficiencies are common among those with Celiac, and the skin problems you describe also fit.

As others have suggested, it is a good idea to avoid dairy at first too, since the damage due to Celiac often impairs the digestion of dairy. If you start with a basic diet - veggies, fruits, beans, meats, etc, you will not have so much difficulty avoiding gluten. The prepackaged foods are the real tough ones for avoiding gluten.

Many on this board are self-diagnosed, so don't feel alone there either. The diet is, after all, the best diagnostic tool we have for Celiac.

I hope you feel better soon!

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.