Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jasonD2

Whats The Deal With Quinoa

is it safe? ive been eating it a lot since going gluten-free and really hope its safe otherwise i just wasted 8 months on a diet i thought was gluten-free

Endoscopy & blood panel all negative 12/09 after being strict w/ gluten free diet

As of 8/09 - Candida Overgrowth, C.difficile overgrowth, elevated fecal anti-gliadin, elevated putrefactive SCFA's

Developed severe lactose intolerance, IBS and food sensitivities in 02 after contracting Giardia from a river in Oregon

Had negative celiac blood work in 02

Elevated stool anti-gliadin Ab (21 with 10 being cutoff for normal) - 2008

Positive for DQ8- 2008

Tested high positive for egg, dairy, soy, ginger, mustard - 2008

Lactulose/Mannitol (leaky gut) test indicated slight intestinal permeability

Improved with gluten free diet but still have spastic constipation

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

is it safe? ive been eating it a lot since going gluten-free and really hope its safe otherwise i just wasted 8 months on a diet i thought was gluten-free

Yes it's safe and very good for you, too!

Diary free 11/06-6/08

Now using a small amount of low-lactose dairy such as aged cheeses and yogurt. Yum!

Gluten-free since 4/07

"When you row another person across the river, you get there yourself."

- Fortune Cookie

Perfectly safe. I love it!

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

It does have a slightly earthy taste. I like to make mine with chicken broth rather than water. Or I make taboule with it. In other words, add some spices and flavorings to it. It passed my family test for good taste. So no need to fear. :)

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

Rinse it well before cooking or it may have a bit of a bitter or soapy taste to it. I watched a travel show where they showed a woman in a country where quinoa is a staple and she put it in a piece of cheese cloth and was rinsing and scrubbing under the water.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Ah yes...it has a saponin coating which is a natural soapy substance that keeps the bugs off of it naturally. I just run under water in a strainer for a few minutes.

Thanks guys for the question and the info. I just bought a box of flakes 3 days ago and haven't had time to use it yet. Any good recipes for the flakes??? I love to bake :)

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

You dont have to rinse the flakes. I tried the banana muffin recipe on the box of flakes and they were gross.

You dont have to rinse the flakes. I tried the banana muffin recipe on the box of flakes and they were gross.

Yes, I know...Thanks...I won't make that recipe...thanks for saving me all that trouble.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

I like the flakes for breakfast sometimes. I mix almond butter and stevia in it. Tasty.