This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pregnant With A Doctor Who Is Too Laid Back!

kprince

kprince Apprentice

I am 5 weeks pregnant and just found out I have celiacs. Thanks to this website, I was able to gather all the necessary questions to ask on ce he presented the results. Everything he said was vague and bascially said, "just follw a gluten-free diet and you will be fine." I am freaking out that hte baby might not be getting the nutrients needed ( even though I am taking a prenatal vitamin and eating all the best foods). I basically told him that I wanted to get blood work done on my Folate, Ferritin, Iron, B12, Vit. D, Calcium, Magnesium, and Vit. K levels. He was like, "OK." I was desperately trying to find out how bad everything was but I am not sure what specifically to ask. All he said was that the blood test showed that I had a high level of antibodies and when he did the scope, the intestines weren't totally flat, but you could see that damage has been done. Please tell me the specific questions I should ask of him. I am assuming the tests give us specific information.

Thank you all so much in advance. I can not believe that this doctor is making so much money when all the viable information I got was from you all. I can not thank you all enough for your help. You are really helping me to settle down.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Well, lets just say that you are one of the lucky ones. At least the doctor isn't opposed to doing the tests you request, and doesn't claim to know everything. He doesn't know as much about celiac disease as you already do. Neither does my doctor. But she will also do the testing I want, and agrees that what I am doing is good.

So many people here have crappy, arrogant doctors to deal with, who think they know everything and don't listen.

Once the results of your tests come back, you need to get a copy for yourself. If you post all of the results here, we will be able to tell you what you need to do! If you need prescriptions for anything, you can then go to your doctor and ask for whatever you need.

Sometimes it is much safer to be your own doctor. And since pregnancy is not an illness, and you are finding out where you are deficient and will be able to then take the necessary supplements, I am sure you and the baby will be just fine.

Try not to worry, make sure you eat good, nutritious food, drink enough water, get plenty of rest, go out into the sun to get some vitamin D, don't forget to look at the flowers and listen to the birds, and RELAX! Stress isn't good for you or the baby.

kprince Apprentice
Well, lets just say that you are one of the lucky ones. At least the doctor isn't opposed to doing the tests you request, and doesn't claim to know everything. He doesn't know as much about celiac disease as you already do. Neither does my doctor. But she will also do the testing I want, and agrees that what I am doing is good.

So many people here have crappy, arrogant doctors to deal with, who think they know everything and don't listen.

Once the results of your tests come back, you need to get a copy for yourself. If you post all of the results here, we will be able to tell you what you need to do! If you need prescriptions for anything, you can then go to your doctor and ask for whatever you need.

Sometimes it is much safer to be your own doctor. And since pregnancy is not an illness, and you are finding out where you are deficient and will be able to then take the necessary supplements, I am sure you and the baby will be just fine.

Try not to worry, make sure you eat good, nutritious food, drink enough water, get plenty of rest, go out into the sun to get some vitamin D, don't forget to look at the flowers and listen to the birds, and RELAX! Stress isn't good for you or the baby.

THis mustbe the hormones because your email made me cry!!! Thank you for the support. I feel like I am supposed to relax and all this stuff, but these doctors are making it really hard when I have to do all the work. You made me feel like I finally wasn't being "crazy" and not over-reacting. I think it would be such a crime if something happened to the baby because I took his laid back attitutde and did nothing when I can find out so much. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!

On a different note ( and I think I might post this question seperately), do you know what exactl;y causes people with celiacs to miscarry? Is it the lack of nutrition, the antibodies from people not following a GFD or something else? I ask this because I am desperately grasping for anything to calm me down and let me enjoy this desperately wanted pregnancy. Thanks so much. I am VERY new to this sight so I am not sure if I should post this questions to others?

Thanks again!

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

Congratulations to you!

You are ahead of the game now that you know what is going on. I know you are worried but many people, myself included, had multiple pregnancies before we were diagnosed. Celiac affects us all differently but it does not always cause problems with pregnancy. My three kids can testify to that!

Checking your levels is a great idea as it will protect YOUR health after your little one arrives. The baby will always get first dibs on what it needs even if you are low. Your body will pull from what little reserve you might have to protect your child. I learned this the hard way as my health took a nosedive after my third child was born.

It's hard to enjoy your first pregnancy even if you don't have issues. My goodness! Someone is growing inside you!! It is an experience that is truly your own. Don't be worried, be aware. It sounds like you are already there!

Have you cried over any commercials yet? :D

kprince Apprentice

I wish it was only commericals, I think I cried over a curious George cartoon yesterday. I just wish I could relax. I got celiacs after I was pregnant, although just found out now ( 3 yrs later). I never even thought about miscarriage with my first and now, everytime I have a cramp, I am like, "Oh no, what is that?" I have been gluten free for about a week and my stool has not changed. I do not have D, but it is really fatty and gross. Everytime I go, I am worried!

Thanks again for your kind words.

melmak5 Contributor

It usually takes a few weeks to "feel better" or notice some changes in your body and stools.

In addition to your tests, it might be a good idea to make sure the pre-natal vitamin(s) you are taking are gluten free. (If you are in the US most vitamin starch binders are corn... but it doesn't hurt to check.

Many people start craving gluten after starting a gluten free diet (some of us even had dreams about it!) but the best thing you can do for your and your little one is to not eat it and let your body heal.

Do treat yourself when you are craving something... and ask people for substitutions/recipes if there is something you are getting strong urges to eat.

Your blood work will help be a good indicator as to what else you can do to help your situation. Someone else posted this, but its important to know that your body is going to send ALL its nutrients to your baby before your systems get them. Calcium is a biggie, along with other key nutrients. You need to be taking in enough for your baby, you and to compensate for the fact that your body isn't absorbing things like a person with fully functioning villi.

It sounds like your doctor at least admits s/he doesn't know everything... so if s/he isn't up on supplementing your diet, I think you have found a great resource in this board and might also consider talking with a nutritionist. (not all are helpful, but some can be)

Most of all, CONGRATS!

Michi8 Contributor
I wish it was only commericals, I think I cried over a curious George cartoon yesterday. I just wish I could relax. I got celiacs after I was pregnant, although just found out now ( 3 yrs later). I never even thought about miscarriage with my first and now, everytime I have a cramp, I am like, "Oh no, what is that?" I have been gluten free for about a week and my stool has not changed. I do not have D, but it is really fatty and gross. Everytime I go, I am worried!

Thanks again for your kind words.

It's good that you know about your celiac now. The best thing you can do is stick to the diet, and supplement for the nutrients you're deficient in. Aside from that, try not to stress, and enjoy this pregnancy! Having a doctor that is somewhat laid back can be a good thing too. :)

With a second pregnancy, it's not unusual to be more sensitive to braxton hicks contractions. They can start early and continue throughout the pregnancy. That was my experience with my second and third pregnancies.

Michelle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived