Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

imsohungry

True Southern Biscuits

I've posted a similar topic years ago, but so many new people have joined since then, I would like to see if I get any new input.

I want to make salmon "patties" (in no way kin to cow patties) ;) And I usually eat stewed tomatoes and rice as a side dish (this is VERY good for those who have never had it...makes a great side dish for fish...I'll be glad to share recipe if someone's interested).

Anyway, I want a true "southern biscuit" to go with it to dip in the juices of my beans and tomatoes.

Down south it is called "sopping" up the juices with your bread. :D

Anyone out there have a recipe? I've searched the internet and have been unable to find anything that even resembles a southern biscuit.

I'm sending out an S.O.S. to all of the chefs on this board. B)

Hugs. -Jules

Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"

(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."

(Garth Brooks).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I seriously spent a month trying to perfect the perfect southern biscuit. I tried yeast, no yeast, buttermilk.....you name it, i've tried it. I tried some of the other recipes found here for southern biscuits and didn't like the results. I like the Pamela's biscuit recipe on 'her' website, so that's what i use--but it's not what you're looking for <_< (it does go well with my sausage gravy though)

I feel your pain!! ;)

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

I seriously spent a month trying to perfect the perfect southern biscuit. I tried yeast, no yeast, buttermilk.....you name it, i've tried it. I tried some of the other recipes found here for southern biscuits and didn't like the results. I like the Pamela's biscuit recipe on 'her' website, so that's what i use--but it's not what you're looking for <_< (it does go well with my sausage gravy though)

I feel your pain!! ;)

Yep, Rachelle...that's me too. I've tried what seems like EVERYTHING. My poor husband is usually my test subject; he's eaten some mighty gross things for the sake of biscuit perfection. :rolleyes:

Well, if you, or anyone else reading this, stumbles upon a southern biscuit recipe...let me know! (and I'll do the same for you)! ;)

hugs. happy baking. -Julie

Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"

(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."

(Garth Brooks).

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

If "southern biscuits" are supposed to be soft, the best way I've found to do that is with a little soy flour. However, I don't use dairy, so I don't know how that would turn out.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.