This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Panel

LuvMoosic4life

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

I menioned this in another thread, but not sure if anyone saw it.

I am not on gluten and told my doctor my symptoms. He understands I need to be on gluten to get positive results but still ordered a test for celiac when he took my blood, the sheet he gave me says the test is "celiac disease w/o gliadin" ......I'm confused. I thought the whole purpose of the test is to check for antiobody to gliadin. I'm thinking this is just a gene test?

does anyone know what this is, or does he not know what he's doing? LOL

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tipnpat Newbie

I'm not sure what that meant either but there should be 5 tests in the panel. Most docs will say that only one or two are necessary but those one or two are very specific to intestinal gluten sensitivity. There is some research indicating that gluten sensitivity can be present without intestinal involvement (as most of us here know already). For this the anti-gliadins are still the best tool. These are the five tests you should have and if your doctor says they aren't necessary just say, "Humor me."

Total IgA - this measures your bodies ability to make IgA as some people can't make it

ttG-IgA - this is very specific to celiac disease and is an intestinal tissue antibody

EMA - IgA - same as above pretty muc

AGA-IgA - antigliadin IgA antibodies

AGA-IgG - antigliadin IgG antibodies

These two are the ones that are not SPECIFIC to celiac disease but they are SENSITIVE. Some stuff I was reading last night explained that earlier cases of celiac/gluten sensitivity can be detected with these but there are other conditions that will make them elevated as well. Oddly, those "other" conditions often improve on a gluten-free diet.

Hope this helps. There are tons of info out there. Much of it is scientifically based and much of it is lay-person based but reading some of everything will help you develop your own idea of how best to take care of your body.

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

thanks. well since I am not eating gluten I figured that any blood work is useless... or is there something I'm missing?

I'm also wondering if a biopsy would still show damage after being gluten-free for 4 months. I know intestines can heal fast, but judging by my symptoms, I find it hard to believe that villi damage would be completely healed after this long gluten-free.

tipnpat Newbie
thanks. well since I am not eating gluten I figured that any blood work is useless... or is there something I'm missing?

I'm also wondering if a biopsy would still show damage after being gluten-free for 4 months. I know intestines can heal fast, but judging by my symptoms, I find it hard to believe that villi damage would be completely healed after this long gluten-free.

I think it's all so variable no matter what. Some people are seronegative and biopsy positive and vice versa. Some still have damage after a year or two gluten free. I did read an article on the Pillcam which looks at the entire length of the small intestine rather than just the duodenum. It's a tiny camera the size of a pill that you swallow and it takes pictures and transmits them wirelessly to a receiver that your doctor then views. I'm sure it's expensive but interesting. If you do a Google search for Pillcam some articles will come up.

Archived