Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

artselegance

2nd Day gluten-free, Maybe Not

So yesterday I did good. Woke up this morning and felt pretty good. Artlet (daughter) didn't finish her Quaker Instant Grits so I finished those off with 2 slices bacon....45 minutes later I was on toilet, after having already been to bathroom twice. I had to go lay down for an hour, tummy hurt and gurgling.

Rest of the day I've had a plum, A lactose free, gluten-free Slim fast for lunch and had a snack of Cheetos and spoon of peanut butter. And shortly after Cheetos, back in bathroom, had to run quick.

I know this is probably TMI, but I'm trying to be aware of how my body reacts to everything I put in it right now. Do you think this is an issue with corn or grains? Shed some light here....thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Just taking a couple of guesses here . . .

I know Quaker Oats are off limits because of cross contamination during the manufacturing process . . . could be the same with the grits . . . I know people have problems with the Quaker rice cakes.

Cheetos may have been a problem because of the dairy. Could also be that they are just hard on the tummy (too processed) right now.

The other thing that popped into my mind is . . . what did you put on the grits . . . butter? Were your peanut butter and your butter free from contamination? You need your own container of butter, peanut butter, jelly, cream cheese, etc, so that you don't get the bread crumbs from the other people in your house.

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif

Thanks for your help and suggestions....

I know Quaker Oats are off limits because of cross contamination during the manufacturing process . . . could be the same with the grits . . . I know people have problems with the Quaker rice cakes.

I bought two bags of Quaker rice cakes yesterday, the minis..... :o

Cheetos may have been a problem because of the dairy. Could also be that they are just hard on the tummy (too processed) right now.

I ate a bag of cheetos yesterday also and didn't have a problem, but I guess that doesn't mean anything... <_<

The other thing that popped into my mind is . . . what did you put on the grits . . . butter? Were your peanut butter and your butter free from contamination? You need your own container of butter, peanut butter, jelly, cream cheese, etc, so that you don't get the bread crumbs from the other people in your house.

The grits already had butter on them, we just added S&P....and your right the peanut butter is from my office and eating with crackers....send that to secretarys desk.

Oh I have so much to learn and think about!!!!! THanks again for your help.

Hello,

Newbie here..was browsing for some forums for a friend on coeliac (I'm an undiagnosed Coeliac with wheat intolerance too).

I spotted tis thread and just wanted to add something..Quaker oats are oats so have gluten in them..they are part of the four nasties..Wheat, oats, barley and rye.

Also the cheerios have wheat in them so will also contain gluten.

If it is gluten which you need to avoid then these two are going to make you poorly.

I've had this now for almost 20 years and only found out about it by doing lots of research myself back about 6 years ago.

Hello,

Newbie here..was browsing for some forums for a friend on coeliac (I'm an undiagnosed Coeliac with wheat intolerance too).

I spotted tis thread and just wanted to add something..Quaker oats are oats so have gluten in them..they are part of the four nasties..Wheat, oats, barley and rye.

Also the cheerios have wheat in them so will also contain gluten.

If it is gluten which you need to avoid then these two are going to make you poorly.

I've had this now for almost 20 years and only found out about it by doing lots of research myself back about 6 years ago.

I think you might have read the OP a little too fast. She ate Cheetos not Cheerios. Also Quaker makes other products beyond Quaker Oats. The OP ate grits not oats. I don't know exactly what grits are since I've never eaten it, but I know its not oat based.

Vegetarian 1998

Wheat free 2001

Gluten free May 1, 2008.

Doh! My apologies!

I've never heard of grits so just read it as Quaker Oats.

ETA: ahhh...just went to have a look..and yup some are fine..some not..again I misinterpreted and read too quick..oops!

First of all - good for you for coming here and asking questions! This business of keeping gluten free can be complicated, and there is little that can be taken for granted. There's a lot to learn.

That said, I would also point out that Day 2 is very, very early in the recovery process. Many people do not begin to feel better right away. I felt worse for a few weeks - then began to feel better. It may be too early in the process for you to be able to nail down what's bothering you very easily.

I would recommend keeping your diet as simple and natural as you are able in these first days and weeks. Try to keep away from things like Quaker and Frito Lay products (Stax excepted), which some say they eat w/o problems and others say they react to due to cross contamination during processing. Stick with things that are more broadly acknowleged to be safe. Get yourself stable first, and then when you try new things, one at a time, it will be far easier to pinpoint trigger foods.

And definitely get your food supply and kitchenware sorted out, so you can be sure you're not getting contamination from your previous gluteny life.

And try to be patient with the process, which is the hardest part for many of us! ;)

You're right about the grits. I called them, unfortunately after I bought them. Said could have cross contamination.

Jenny

(Texas girl in AZ)

Diag: 2/2008

Bloodwork - positive, 2/19/08

Biopsy - positive, 2/26/08

Colonoscopy - clean as a whistle!, 2/27/08

First of all - good for you for coming here and asking questions! This business of keeping gluten free can be complicated, and there is little that can be taken for granted. There's a lot to learn.

That said, I would also point out that Day 2 is very, very early in the recovery process. Many people do not begin to feel better right away. I felt worse for a few weeks - then began to feel better. It may be too early in the process for you to be able to nail down what's bothering you very easily.

I would recommend keeping your diet as simple and natural as you are able in these first days and weeks. Try to keep away from things like Quaker and Frito Lay products (Stax excepted), which some say they eat w/o problems and others say they react to due to cross contamination during processing. Stick with things that are more broadly acknowledged to be safe. Get yourself stable first, and then when you try new things, one at a time, it will be far easier to pinpoint trigger foods.

And definitely get your food supply and kitchenware sorted out, so you can be sure you're not getting contamination from your previous gluteny life.

And try to be patient with the process, which is the hardest part for many of us! ;)

Great advice!

I totally agree, make your diet simple simple simple. Only add things one at a time every few days. Rice and veggies and maybe some meat, with salt and pepper only to start. I had a month and a 1/2 of gut spasms after going gluten-free, just healing up reactions. Lots of quivering and shaking going on down there. It takes some time to get healed up, and the simpler you keep your diet the faster it can happen. Forget about any processed foods for the first couple months at least. It is way too complicated at first to try to learn all the bad things to watch out for in them. So just take the simple approach and eliminate them all. Cheetos, no no! :o Eliminating the processed foods also should cut down on the amount of chemicals with long complicated sounding names that you are ingesting. Put a chemist out of work today! Just kidding about that chemists! :lol:

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul