This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Constipation, Irregular Periods And Celiac

Lisa79

Lisa79 Enthusiast

Hi all

I was diagnosed two weeks ago with Celiac. I suffered really bad constipation prior to been diagnosed. I have been gluten free two weeks and feeling better in myself although I am still suffering really bad constipation, the bloating had gone away but this afternoon I am feeling really constipated and bloated.

Anyone else suffer constipation ? Did it continue or did it improve after going gluten free?

Also my periods have always been so irregular always a week or so late, and wondering if this could be linked with Celiac and if so did things improve?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

foodiegurl Collaborator

Hello!!

I had no idea I had Celiac, until the Dr suggested testing me. My only symptom that I can think back on is bad constipation and gas. I have had it all my life, but I think it got worse after I had my daughter 4 years ago. I will say, that since going gluten-free, 2 weeks ago, I have been more regular. Until I took some pepto one night last week, that blocked me up for a few days.

I am not sure about your period, but I think it could be related, but don't take my word on it.

Good luck,

Anne

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Have you ever had your thyroid levels checked? Autoimmune thyroid disorders are pretty common in celiacs... the classic symptoms of hypothyroidism include:

- Constipation

- Irregular periods

- Feeling cold all the time

- Depression

- Hair loss

- Dry skin

- Fatigue

- Infertility/miscarriage

- Elevated cholesterol

- Weight gain/difficulty losing weight

Now that my thyroid hormones are stabilized (with medication) and I've been on the gluten-free diet for seven months my constipation is GONE :)

Lisa79 Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies,

I have had my thyroid checked when they did the celiac blood screen and all was good. Had a blood test for a full blood count and to check other deficiencies yesterday just waiting on results.

I don't want to take any laxatives, I guess will have to try uping my fibre intake I eat heaps of fruit. I am seeing a dietitian in a couple of weeks.

I have only been gluten free for two weeks so it may take time.

Thanks

Lisa :)

krystal Rookie

Water.

Water.

Water.

Drink half your bodyweight in ounces.

(Bodyweight = 150, then 75 ounces of water a day)

Fruits and veggies, especially beans should be sufficient. Sometimes fiber supplements can bind you more.

foodiegurl Collaborator

For my constipation...I drinks TONS of water, make sure i move...walking a couple of miles, cleaning the house, something, and prunes!

melmak5 Contributor

This was me. My digestion has settled now that I am gluten free (1.5 years) but my periods are still irregular, but yours might level out... it just takes a while.

If water and fiber aren't enough, I highly recommend calcium-magnesium-citrate supplement.

A tablespoon at night and a bm the next day.

The first time it worked I thought it was magic and wonderful all at the same time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hal000 Rookie

I think I'm probably at roughly the same sort of stage as you (healing).

In retrospect I've been quite stupid, I went for years with bad health (nafld/constipation) but mistakenly assumed you had to have diarrhea. If I'd only known another symptom was the opposite problem with constipation I could have saved a lot of unnecessary pain.

I'm still waiting for the positive results to arrive from being gluten free, I guess it's just a case of patience and discipline.

• 2 months later...
Tiffany677 Newbie

Melmak, can you please elaborate on this supplement?

calcium-magnesium-citrate supplement

I have sooo many supplements & I do think magnesium helps me go sometimes.

But I have read about the calcium link as well, that they should be taken together I think.

Is this a liquid or in a pill form?

Thanks!

Tiffany677 Newbie

Oops I just noticed you said a tablespoon at night, duh. Can you please post or PM me a brand to try? I have tried so many things for my constipation. I think I had a good one once by MRM or something.

I just want to get the right thing.

Here is the one I tried before, does this seem like a good choice?

Open Original Shared Link

Crayons574 Contributor

For constipation, try adding more fiber into your diet--keep the skin on your fruits and vegetables. Try adding ground flax seeds to your breakfast. They have omega-3's and are also a great alternative to taking a fiber supplement. If those do not help, try adding supplements, such as magnesium glycinate or probiotics.

Archived